Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreKanopyYouTube

1966
Drama, Sci-fi
An aging, tired businessman becomes involved with a mysterious corporation which promises to rejuvenate him and totally transform his life, for a price.
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreKanopyYouTube

If this is your idea of a movie, John Frankenheimer, then I'll have Seconds! (That one just barely beat out: How long it is before I knew that I was going to love this movie? About eleven minutes. Why?)
Excellent paranoid sci-fi thriller. The premise is somewhat similar to The Face of Another, which coincidentally was released the same year. While I think Teshigahara goes to slightly more interesting places with the idea, Frankenheimer manages some intriguing angles as well, especially when he utilizes unusual techniques like the subjective camera. There's a lengthy hippie scene that feels mostly unnecessary, and I saw the ending coming a mile away, but otherwise I have no complaints.
Humans will never be satisfied with being human.
I watched this on a whim, Rock Hudson in a main role at this late date seemed like something to see. Needless to say, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Middle age malaise meets a twilight zone/kafka atmosphere to horrifying results. Special note for the last of that marvelous b&w work of James Wong Howe, he pulls out some crazy angles here. One hell of a watch.
A hidden masterpiece, with a heightened expressionism rarely seen in American film, and a plot that mimics more foreign fare (like Teshigahara's The Face of Another). The conflict of personal vs. public identity certainly does not lack subtlety, but it sticks with you long after other thrillers have faded from memory.

Submitted byenginengin on 03 Apr 2006