1995
Sci-fi
A data courier, carrying a data package literally inside his head too large to hold for long, must deliver it before he dies from it. (imdb)

1995
Sci-fi

Rated 04 Jun 2014
Synaptic seepage, hacker dolphins, Henry Rollins as Henry Rollins (only with glasses, therefore making him a doctor), Dolph Lundgren as hitman jesus, Ice-T as a mothafuckin internet gangsta, Keanu Reeves as a non-human...what the fuck is this movie doing? The depiction of the internet is the best part, though, cos it looks like a mix between a highly rendered windows 98 screen saver and scenes from inside the Death Star in Empire Strikes Back. Virtually any score is justifiable.
Rated 31 Mar 2010
If I'm remembering this correctly, there's a dolphin in this movie that's smarter than Keanu.
Rated 28 Nov 2014
I mentioned my "Haha, what the fuck" box set way back in my Zardoz review, and Johnny Mnemonic is absolutely the second entry. Not a single coherent thought or decision in any of the 96 minutes, but I'd be an ugly liar if I said I didn't love it.
Rated 19 Apr 2020
Under Quarantine Film Reviews #53: The opening crawl states that in 2021, corporations are king and that a new plague has threatened the world. Johnny Mnemonic, more like Johnny Nostradamic. Its 90 minutes of pure ridiculousness, partly because Keanu essentially plays a coked-out Neo who JUST WANTS ROOM SERVICE.
Rated 13 Feb 2014
Interminably constipated Henry Rollins plays an interminably constipated trench doc named Spider, and shows a lot of neck vein. Ice-T plays the guy from Counting Crows and refuses to suppress his pimp lisp. Keanu Reeves gets a computer, tag teams the internet with a hacker dolphin, confronts reprehensible Japanese business practices, and ultimately vomits crypto-anime from his overloaded cyberpunk brain.
Rated 06 Dec 2012
The 'Guess a rating' review: Hint #1: Supporting cast includes Udo Kier. Hint #2: At one point Keanu Reeves exclaims 'I WANT ROOOM SERVICE!!' Hint #3: Features death by laser whip. Hint #4: Sports the first and only sea mammal twist in motion picture history. Hint #5: Dolph Lundgren plays 'Christ - the hitman' and utters the one-liner: 'Jesus Time!'. Hint #6: Supporting cast includes Henry Rollins and Ice-T. Hint #7: Longo never directed anything ever again.
Rated 17 Mar 2009
Not really good, but nowehere near as bad as some people make it out to be. Shame on you if you were expecting fine cinema!
Rated 25 May 2021
"Cutting edge" sci-fi action film is surprisingly on the money in terms of predicting 2021 technology; 80GB of data sounds about right in terms of the mind's data storage capacity! Really just another post-BLADE RUNNER/TOTAL RECALL knock-off, but snappily paced and with a nice "grunge" look for its view of the future. Reeves even gives a reasonably compelling performance, though his mid-film breakdown is so bizarre, one wonders if it's an indulgent misjudgement or calculated self-parody!
Not bad as a "bad movie". But it's not good.
Rated 20 Jun 2014
I want to get online. I NEED A COMPUTER.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
The most unintentionally hilarious film of all time.
Rated 27 Nov 2021
For a '90s virtual reality movie, it's so uninteresting, even in a fun-bad way. The titular Johnny is barely a character, and what character he has is mostly "jerk"; as far as we can tell, he causes his own misfortune; and we're given no reason to invest in him, other than a tease of regaining childhood memories which may not be worth it. The evil priest is fun, the dolphin is fun, the part where he has to use VR to make a phone call is fun, but that's less than 20 minutes of a 90-minute movie.
Rated 06 Oct 2023
As a child, I saw this movie prophesizing a distant future where everything was strangely futuristic, yet close enough to the time that it was possible, as all great sci-fi should be. Now, it's image of the future is a sadly dated and grandiose one at the same time. Weird how only some of the worst parts came true.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
it's jesus time
Rated 06 Feb 2011
Completely fails to instil the atmosphere needed to make a cyberpunk film work. The story is OK, everything else is lousy. They could have given Keanu's role to an actual portable HD and it would have had more personality. The only remotely enjoyable element is Dolph Lundgren hamming it up as psychotic cyber-Jesus, but sadly he's only a bit-part character.
Rated 05 May 2009
I *need* a *computer*.
Rated 26 Mar 2015
when this came out, shadowrun was a huge thing with us, so we were suckers for anything even remotely related to said universe. but for everything cool it does, it evens the odds with something really silly. dolph lundgren...dina meyer. henry rollins...ice-t. takeshi...muppeting a videochat (that one is hilarious, though). a huge zombie-fish as leader of the resistance...a huge zombie-fish as lead character. list goes on.
Rated 05 Jul 2020
And yet, still smarter than The Matrix somehow.
Rated 12 Feb 2007
Really, not much worse than The Matrix or Inception.
Rated 14 Jun 2007
A fucking psychic dolphin, are you shitting me?
Ridiculous and poorly made, but it's unintentionally hilarious and fun "bad movie" watch.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Excellent job of bringing Gibson's great story to the big screen. Could it be better? Sure. But it wasn't butchered, and that always makes me happy. Somehow, I've come to the conclusion that people in Hollywood go to a school where they *specifically* learn to butcher SF stories. Didn't happen here, a wonder of wonders.
Rated 08 Jan 2021
Keanu Reeves recent resurrection is based on how great of a person he seems to be as well as his excellent subtle performances with practiced physicality. The mid-90s did him wrong by asking for big performances and this might be the biggest. The cyberpunk script is pretty garbage, even if everything on screen is delightfully silly. I mean he eventually teams up with a dolphin to beat the baddies. Its just too much information, man.
Rated 18 Nov 2010
Good basic idea, boring execution, 1 good scene at the end. Hmmm*
Rated 14 Sep 2014
I'm a fan of William Gibson's work and I thought the comic book treatment worked well with it in this movie. Sure it's a bit cheesy but sometimes that can be appropriate in context. Dolph Lungren puts in a great performance as does Henry Rollins.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
A forgettable movie, though the performance from Reeves sticks out somewhat in my mind. Still, not all bad.
Rated 06 Oct 2009
Falls neatly into the category of so bad it's fun.
Rated 22 Jan 2017
Johnny Mnemonic holds up pretty well in my book. It's a grimy cyberpunk noir movie. It's cheesy without being corny. It's exciting without being over-the-top. Over twenty years later this movie is still fun to watch. I was surprised by how many cameos were in this movie but, if i remember correctly, this movie was supposed to be a blockbuster. The acting in the movie was good at some points and not so good at others. Dolph Lundgren's character was pretty out there but it added to the camp.
Rated 13 Aug 2022
"Get that trash outta here" at the end kind of sums this up, but there is amusement when wonder how Keanu Reeves' agent convinced him to do The Matrix shortly afterward. Dolph Lundgren plays a fun villain. Dina Meyer adds some personality to the bland (and mostly a jerk) Reeves. Cool whip. Fav scene: Spider jumps into the fight enthusiastically. What a hero.
Rated 28 Jun 2011
It's kinda bad when the best acting comes from Dolph Lundgren. However the laser whip is pretty freakin' cool.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
Silly premise, silly movie. Keanu is awful.
Rated 16 Oct 2021
I found it not good but accidentally amusing.
Rated 15 Dec 2010
Okay, -now- I get why Keanu Reeves gets made fun of so much. I don't get the hate for this film, though. Aside from the outdated CGI, it has cool visuals, and while the story isn't particularly deep or moving, its cast of characters is pretty memorable. And the casting is just wacky; I let loose a literal "wow" when Kitano showed up out of nowhere. Jesus time! Fun stuff.
Rated 01 Dec 2007
Shitty movie on pretty much every level, bad acting, shitty story, and technically unimpressive.
Rated 09 Oct 2016
Well, I certainly did not expect that
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Incredibly disappointing adaptation. It probably set Cyberpunk movie makings back a decade.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
This was not so good, a very messy film. I've read the short story, and it was slightly better, and completely different. I suppose shooting Neuromancer is out of the question, then?
Rated 09 Dec 2008
Cyberpunk
Rated 27 Jan 2008
Although it was clearly aged the story was way better than I remember. Lots of common with Matrix and Cyberpunk 2077 action role-playing video game. I want room service!
Rated 15 Oct 2008
The sci-fi nerd in me couldn't give this movie any less. It's rare that true sci-fi moves to the silver screen, even rarer when it's well done.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Bizarre. Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor.
Rated 11 Jul 2023
Stupid and one of the worst Reeves performances.
Rated 05 Dec 2007
Looks very dated already.
Rated 25 Nov 2010
Not a good film by the means of cinematography, but it's pure cyberpunk.
Rated 05 Apr 2010
It's bad. It's awful, but it's still one of my all time favorite movies, perhaps because of how bad it is. And how very locked into the early 90's is. (His head can hold a whopping 80 gigs! That's unheard of!)
Rated 18 Mar 2007
It's just occured to me that I HAVE seen this movie. And I loved it! It was all, plot twist woosh woosh plot twist. Like that!
Rated 14 Apr 2008
I wanted to like it...
Rated 12 Feb 2023
On some level I dig its aesthetic especially its goofy depiction of the internet. But despite the general silliness of the whole thing, the only real enjoyment I got out of this is the god awful acting by Keanu and other actors hamming it up. The characterization is super one-note and I'd be okay with this if the characters at least were entertaining and the writing was snappy enough. unfortunately, most the movie is Keanu awkwardly angsting to the tune of a supporting cast of lame archetypes.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
This was #1 on my list of worst films ever. Than Battlefield Earth came out. It pains me to think about it.
Rated 27 Jul 2014
School these days sucks man, you can just go on the stinkin' internet.
Rated 24 Mar 2008
two words: "laser slicer". whoa.
Rated 14 Mar 2021
Cool ideas done stupidly. Worth a watch to see Henry Rollins looking sexy in glasses.
Rated 28 Jun 2014
Much worse [and therefore much better] than I expected. Its influence on Deus Ex is clear, primarily in Keanu's hilariously deadpan delivery which JC Denton would later go on to perfect.
Rated 19 Apr 2024
Rated 12 Jul 2023
(b/w version) A ridiculous and cliched storyline at its core, some terrible scripting, and the worst Reeves performance I’ve ever seen, but great visuals and production design, some really good supporting turns, and a fun satirical/anti-corporate tone that is also almost self-parodying with the cyberpunk nonsense while simultaneously being maybe the best on-screen depiction of the genre’s most common signifiers.
Rated 15 Jun 2012
This movie is bonkers and I love it.
Keanu, brain implants, Fundamentalist Christian bounty hunters, cyberpunks, virtual reality (with 1990s CG!), yakuza, crossbows, cybernetic dolphins, Takeshi Kitano... how come the 5th Element gets so much love? This is so all over the place aesthetically crazy. It's every now-cheesy tech-worshipping WIRED-magazine-reading 90s thought wrapped up into one crazy beast that I love so dearly.
Rated 22 Aug 2023
People hate new movies so much they have to pretend stuff like this is mostly horrendous with some decent action sequencing
Keanu is as stiff as ever, but the story is interesting.
Rated 12 Apr 2007
Relentlessly silly, cheese-ridden. Reeves acts his ass off, which is unfortunate because it's mostly a waste of time. "What I NEED...is a COMPUTER."
Rated 12 Sep 2007
this is just a stupid movie
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Ok sci-fi about a mnemonic who must transfer very important data for a shady client.
Rated 28 Mar 2021
Rewatched. And 2021 it most certainly is. This movie really needed Ron Perlman. +10 points just for the image of a leather-clad Ron Perlman in a fight with Dolph Lundgren as Super Jesus. It doesn't happen but it's cool to think about.
Rated 15 Nov 2021
Could've done with less action and more exploration of the world, which was preety interesting, rather than constant, poorly choreographed action scenes. What story there was, was boring, at least in the first half, it got better when we actually knew what was going on and had some stakes. The love story was even less believable and less interesting than normal in hollywood films. The background of Jane was interesting but again, unexplored and 2d.
THE MATRIX PREQUEL
Rated 09 Feb 2020
I dig it. Sure, the writing, acting, directing, and camera work is all terrible, and it is beyond dated due to how quickly technology has advanced in the last 25 years; however, Johnny Mnemonic captures some of the more insane elements of the cyberpunk genre that normally don't get translated into mainstream movies. It's more than a kitsch artifact like its contemporaries: The Lawnmower Man, Hackers, etc.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Great concept poorly implemented. They can do a much better cyber punk film if they remade this, as this doesn't quite cut it.
Rated 08 Dec 2009
3/5
Rated 13 Mar 2009
Intriguing premise goes absolutely nowhere, as uninteresting characters mouth laughable dialogue against a landscape of urban hell. Despite the computer graphics, this is cyberclaptrap.
Rated 08 Jan 2022
Keanu's brain gets hacked by a dolphin running windows 95.
Rated 27 Sep 2011
Adorably stupid
Rated 10 Jun 2012
Very cheesy and tongue-in-cheek. The Matrix is everything Johnny Mnemonic wanted to be.
Rated 30 Oct 2016
Where is a computer? I *NEED* to find a computer!
Rated 08 Apr 2011
that fuckin dolphin
Rated 30 Apr 2018
I want room service!
Rated 15 Nov 2014
eng; [johnny mnemonic]; ein daten kurier transportiert ein paket von informationen in seinem kopf, da die infos sind zu speicherintensiv sind stirbt er wenn er sie nicht rechtzeitig abliefert.;
Rated 14 May 2011
An exceptionally bad film but one so bad its hysterical. What makes it even better is the fact that it a collection of all the obsessions of the period together in one film: Japanese culture (Takashi Kitano and clips from anime), cyber punk, virtual reality, and a cast that includes rapper Ice T, action star Dolph Lundgren as a killer priest, and Henry Rollins, the former singer for the hardcore band Black Flag. It also has the best moment in the career of Keanu Reeves in one monologue.
Rated 11 Jan 2011
Not a bad film not a great one, and also when a cure for some disease is uncovered it never gets released; they should have portrayed that in more of the corporations goals, but at least they did in one.
Rated 22 Jan 2021
shit rules
Should have been called "Johnny Moronic".
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Computer technology and logic are all ignored in this film - no matter how you try you can't fit a train in a car garage! That's a metaphor btw.
Rated 18 Apr 2008
Slightly trashy (=intriguing!) gnostic sci-fi. Keanu's very solid in this - you just have to typecast him in the right roles and voilà, he shines.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
Futuristic misfire. Flashy but uncompelling; still, any movie with Keanu, Dolph, Henry, and Udo in the same cast has got to be worth a look for kitsch value alone.
Rated 11 Sep 2008
A truly terrible film (even the "more depth" Japanese cut I viewed). But I love the visual design, which is the closest to a live-action cyberpunk anime thus far. The acting is hilariously awful, although the casting is enough to give fanboys wetdreams. I WANT ROOM SERVICE!
Rated 04 Jun 2014
Uh, this is hilarious. Keanu Reeves in possibly his most stilted performance as a data courier in a bizarre, ridiculous vision of the future/the internet, accompanied by Ice-T the rebel hacker and his dolphin sidekick, on a quest to save the world from INFORMATION OVERLOAD by releasing a cure through the information highway. Their obstacles: Big Pharm, as represented by Takeshi Kitano, and Dolph Lundgren as Hitman Jesus.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
Poor William Gibson. And he did it to himself.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
lameass
Rated 28 Jul 2023
[B&W] After one too many infodump scenes, Johnny screams at the heavens, "What ... is going on here?" Which is what the audience was thinking at least 30 minutes before. The ambience is pretty good (if you like cyberpunk; I do) -- a little better in black and white -- but it feels like the story is just too big for the vehicle, especially with the inclusion of that Illuminati dolphin (Hail Eris).
I though this movie was good when I was 15. Today I see how silly I really was. The cinematography and dialog were dull and the lighting was downright terrible - even for a Blade Runner clone. Sadly, the somewhat interesting story was lost to this mix. Best Feature: The Monofilament Whip!
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Feels very dated.
Rated 04 Feb 2008
Great idea (written by Gibson, of course it's great) but terrible, terrible execution.
People love to hate this movie, i find it pretty cool though. Doesn't hold up so well on re-watching. I think i've had that feeling of wanting to get data out of my head though.
Rated 29 Jan 2012
Ice-T is literally part dog in this movie.
Rated 17 Sep 2017
very poorly made, even the Japanese cut
Rated 19 Aug 2009
I think it's alternate title is more appropriate and descriptive: Johnny Moronic
Rated 16 Sep 2014
A lot more fun than I expected.
Rated 29 Mar 2008
Little known fact dolphins are actually pretty dumb, the majority of it's brain mass is used to keep it afloat
Rated 05 Aug 2012
Johnny M has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes, this movie has problems, not the least of which is having a name that I can never remember how to spell, but overall, this movie is just pure cyberpunk fun! Johnny M has a terrific mix of "punk" and "cyber" although it definitely strays to the "punk" side of things. He we have corporate domination, punk rebellion, modified humans (and dolphins!), dystopian societies and all the rest, all wrapped up in some wonderfully inspired Gibson visua
Rated 24 Feb 2007