Criterion Channel

1993
Johnny flees Manchester for London, to avoid a beating from the family of a girl he has raped. There he finds an old girlfriend... (imdb)
Criterion Channel

Bleak and cynical and often uproariously funny. Much of the credit belongs to Thewlis, comparable to McDowell in Clockwork Orange or DeNiro in Taxi Driver. He doesn't so much straddle the line between good and evil as he does swerve back and forth over it like a drunk driver. In the end he is neither redeemed nor vilified. Lesley Sharp is also superb as his ex-girlfriend. The sour note in the movie is Jeremy, whose absolute vileness doesn't ring true.
From the start you get the feeling this isn't a very subtle film, and Thewlis owns the screen all the way through. Top part of the film for me will always be with the night watchman though, where they seem to bond, sort of. Only time Thewlis has an inkling of "likeability"(I love him though) about him. But even though he's an asshole, he always has a thought through reason for his venomous tirades, a way to back it up it you might say. Also see it as a well placed attack on Thatcherism.
A great film. Johnny is a truly excellent character. You'd love him if he weren't such an asshole, not to mention a serial rapist. He's a great bohemian gutter philosopher type. Indeed, my favorite part of the film was the part with him and the security guard Brian, where they very eloquently discuss the secrets of the Universe. I have to agree with all the people saying that Jeremy is far too two-dimensional a character. He stands out like a sore, simple thumb in a film of great complexity.
Intense, intellectual and visceral. Naked is not for the squeamish or slow witted, but is an incredibly rich film experience. One of the best movies ever made, IMO, even if it can be very difficult to watch at times. #4 in my all time top 10.
Epitome on endless human cruelty. Miserable to watch.

Submitted bykercKerc on 10 Apr 2006