Cleo from 5 to 7
Cleo-from-5-to-7

Cleo from 5 to 7

1962
Drama, Music
Cleo, a singer and hypochondriac, becomes increasingly worried that she might have cancer while awaiting test results from her doctor.
KanopyCriterion ChannelMax Amazon ChannelMax

Kind of lukewarm on this one. I liked the photography, including the excellent use of tracking shots, and the score was very nice. But I didn't really care what happened to this silly, spoiled, drama queen, who by the end of the picture is only slightly more bearable. But bonus points for the interesting real-time narrative structure.
Tons of fantastic camera work (some of those car tracking shots are among the best shit I've ever seen), sound design and music, but the story and the arc of the main character were underwhelming to me.
Death or transformation: a phenomenology of perception as conditioned by intentionality, and an account of the potential for something like a caesura in the flow of life's course to lead to psychic rearrangement. Simple, subtle and quietly affecting, with some great moments (e.g., the instantaneous change of tone in the Legrand scene when she begins to sing "Sans toi"). Varda and Demy seem to share an understanding of how tracking shots possess a strange capacity to generate a mood.
People got a lot more done in two hours in the good old days, evidently. I'm still not sold on most of the New Wave I've seen, but I really like how Varda ensouls a supposedly fairly superficial character and a bunch of random everyday goings-on with the spectre of mortality, the war and violence looming just beyond, the certainty of uncertainty... Also, there's boobies.
Beautifully photographed and has great music, but it sent me to sleep. (But that may be because I was watching it in a lecture hall of 400 students) I didn't feel any compulsion to give a damn about this title's spoiled little drama queen.

Submitted byjuanlarsJuanLars on 26 Mar 2006