2001
Memento chronicles two separate stories of Leonard (Guy Pearce), a ex-insurance investigator who can no longer build new memories, as he attempts to find the murderer of his wife, which is the last thing he remembers. One story line movies forward in time while the other tells the story backwards revealing more each time. (imdb) [Released at some festivals in 2000]

2001

Rated 27 Aug 2010
Skillfully brought to fruition, Memento slowly lays out the pieces of a complex puzzle and forces its audience to intellectually wrestle with the "big picture." Engaging and inventive, Nolan keeps movie goers on the edge of their seat even after the credits are rolling due to its ambiguous ending.
A page-turner of a novel, but in movie form; full of twists, always suspenseful, with strong performances across the board (but especially Stephen Tobolowsky -- really, Ned from Groundhog Day -- in a supporting role). Don't listen for a second to the people who say the backwards narrative is a gimmick; it's a brilliant device.
This movie is brilliant even though I hate gimmicks, at the end the gimmick melts away to reveal that it adds an entirely new dimension to the film. Amazing.
Rated 16 Jul 2010
Truly astonishing!! How perfect can one movie be. The only negative thing that I can possibly say about it is that it is somewhat depressing and almost entirely devoid of comedy. But it wasn't trying to be funny and it's depressing in a really interesting way. It's incredible that a movie that was made after so many great film-noir's can manage to be completely fresh. It uses what should be a stupid gimmick but it ends up not being a gimmick at all and is completely necessary. Wow. Just wow.
Rated 14 Mar 2010
Fantastic. The acting, writing, and direction are all superb.
Rated 05 Aug 2012
Watch this film. Then watch it again. And again. Perhaps a fourth time too. Memento is a movie that is meant to confuse you, and to that end it succeeds. It's so easy to get entranced by the acting, especially Guy Pearce's, that one forgets that the backwards narrative is even there. When the climax pieces everything together, one begins to realize the tragic nature of the film, and the true drama behind it all. An exciting film that never lulls its viewers into boredom.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
So Unique! It seems hard to follow and then it all pulls together in the end. My Favorite Line EVER in a movie, "I Can't remember to forget You." --WOW!
Rated 26 Oct 2014
One of my favourites. A puzzle movie with just the right amount of solvability. I also find this kind of mental disorder really interesting/terrifying to think about.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
One of the best movies of all time. Even after it is over you're never quite sure.
I think it is safe to say a movie like this has never been done before and will never be done again. There are at least three layers of explanation for what happens in this movie, but I'm still not sure about everything. A lot of fun to try to put the pieces together.
Rated 27 Mar 2010
Interesting up to the point where you realize just how much of a regular movie this is. The concept of an amnesiac protagonist is portrayed creatively enough, edited to reflect the broken psyche of the hero, but it wears thin, revealing the standard movie lying underneath
An amazing piece of filmmaking that brings up a great deal of questions about our ways of knowing and whether or not our goals are truly in our best interests. It innovates without being pretentious.
Rated 26 Feb 2012
Interesting idea, but bland cinematography that didn't pull me into the story or make me care about the simple characters. I could see the ending coming halfway in, and that wouldn't have bothered me, but then Leonard's final monologue basically destroys the tragedy of his character and half of the broader points. A "psychological thriller" that is completely boring and unaffecting.
Didn't get it.
Rated 26 Feb 2008
Quite a brain workout this film - not one you can watch absently as something to pass the time. Extremely clever way of revealing the story that puts you in very much the same position as Leonard. Fantastic
Rated 26 Aug 2012
Innovative treatment of a fascination condition - the ability to only remember the immediate past. This movie worked as a very dark, existential comedy as well. Brilliant - in my top five movies of all time.
Rated 11 Jul 2008
Very clever, well written story and a witty concept. Masterclass original cinema from the man who made Batman cool.
Rated 20 Jan 2010
Awesome journey into a thought provoking world
Rated 23 Sep 2011
Top class brain fodder.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Really good film but I've marked it down because I can't be arsed watching it again. Ever. If you've never seen it before then feel free to add 10 onto my score to get a better idea of it's quality.
Rated 19 Dec 2013
Smooth and brilliant.
Rated 07 Jan 2013
..And then out of the blue comes ''Memento''.. A brilliant and strange idea that turns into a movie and blows your mind away. An absolute ''Must See''.
Brilliant psychological thriller. If you like it, do check out Nolan's previous film, "Following", a Hitchcock-esque B&W feature.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
wild the way they go back and forth, great movie!
Rated 09 Nov 2015
One of Christopher Nolan's best. Memento is a stunning film for many reasons, it's insane and inventive structure, pitch perfect performance by Guy Pearce, dark twists. It's commentary on trust and justice is extremely compelling.
Rated 20 Nov 2012
Nolan's best film. One of two.
Rated 24 Mar 2011
I'm going to preface this mini-review with this: I haven't seen this movie in a very long time, saw it once. That being said, I was nothing but frustrated and angry while watching it. I did not like it at all. I have no idea why people call it so great. I'll re watch it some time, but as it stands now, it's overrated and really annoying.
Rated 31 Oct 2007
a masterpiece!
Rated 25 Feb 2007
awesome movie.. a must-see..
Rated 16 Feb 2008
mind bending and very well done
Rated 03 Feb 2009
Genius storytelling at it's best. Nolan's psychological thriller is told in an innovative manner and is a memorable experience. Must see for anyone.
Rated 06 Dec 2007
Just too strange for me
Rated 21 Jun 2008
?condition my about you told I Have... Christopher Nolan's first major film is absolutely BRILLIANT with its editing and story, and Guy Pierce is downright awesome in his role as a dysfunctional and memory-impaired person. This movie is a MUST-SEE for ALL film buffs!
Rated 19 Oct 2007
Brilliant film that suggests one shouldn't believe everything they read on their skin
Rated 18 Aug 2009
This movie stays with you long after you finish watching it. Excellent and original.
Rated 06 Jan 2015
This movie never fails to blow me away.
Rated 10 Jul 2010
I'll really have to see it again before I fully understand it. But I will say that the confusing structure pays off massively, with several mindf*cking twists and turns throughout.
Rated 27 Oct 2010
Stunning film making, this remains Nolans best work
Really fucking awesome.
Rated 22 Aug 2007
WOW.. masterpiece
Rated 11 Aug 2008
A very inspiring film that is best the second time around. An amazing directorial debut for Nolan, and a narrative structure that is creative, yet powerful, yet well executed.
Rated 04 Mar 2010
its not the twist its the psychology
Rated 26 May 2008
In the same league as Usual Suspects.
Rated 20 Jan 2019
Brilliantly written and execute. Its a head fck. Meaning you'd better watch it a few times to fully appreciate what a great film this is. The concept is brilliant.
Rated 26 May 2012
Clever, fast paced thriller that has just enough confusion to work. Suffers from its own concept though.
Awesomely confusing and infinitely rewatchable, and blessed with outstanding performances from Guy Pearce as well as Joe Pantoliano. Memento's unique storytelling technique alone makes it easy to recommend.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
Probably Nolan's best movie; the eclectic form of storytelling used really makes for a unique film.
Rated 27 Sep 2008
great script and it's shot in such an original way. great plot twists and creative scenes.
Rated 11 Oct 2015
I think this is the ultimate Christopher Nolan experience. You are left wondering what is going on until the end, after which you spend the next two days trying to figure out what just happened. A wonderful puzzle to put together.
Rated 14 Mar 2014
One of Christopher Nolan's very best films with absolutely phenomenal performances by Guy Pearce and Joa Pantoliano. The story is thoroughly engaging, raises great questions and themes whilst the ending perfectly encapsulates the preceeding story. The inventive style of filming is refreshing and original.
Rated 10 Oct 2008
good stuff - clever and unexpected.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
really liked this film a lot. a film you must watch more than once. great cast and direction by chris nolan.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Made me think like none other.
Rated 21 Mar 2014
What Nolan has done here is impossible to overstate. Memento is very likely the most innovative piece of storytelling in a century. It does the impossible. By telling the story backwards Nolan brings the audience into Leonard's disoriented world on a visceral, tactile level. He gives the audience memory loss! It's astounding, and it allows us to explore deep questions about ourselves. Would I lie to myself if the truth were too painful? The true power of Memento is what it says about you.
Rated 02 Jan 2013
Personal opinion: way too confusing. I did understand it but at some times it felt like a chore to understand rather than enjoyement - and movies are about pleasure in watching it, not trying to make a mental exercise in order to check what happened thirty minutes ago while watching another scene.
Rated 10 Nov 2007
still watching to understand it! one of my favorites
Rated 26 Oct 2015
Memento haunts my dreams. If you look away, you'll miss something. Just a word of advice - take everything that occurs in the past 15 minutes at face value.
Rated 20 Mar 2008
A good movie, a bit hard to follow, but still good. On of those movies that was so different that people loved it, even tho they really didn't know what they saw.
too much plot?
Rated 10 Oct 2007
A taut, nasty, well-crafted little thriller with a twist that has been since imitated, but never matched.
Rated 01 Feb 2009
It's been a while, but I recall this as being utterly absorbing throughout. For a nasty story, it certainly is a lot of fun.
Rated 21 Nov 2007
Not so much a who as a whydunnit...very intresting presentation. You can't even blink coz you'll miss an important plot point!
Rated 12 Jan 2009
Cleverly told and creative.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
excelente filosofia
Rated 14 Mar 2021
2 hours but seem 4. Apart from that, simple but great and clever idea for the storyline. Nolan is clean and stylistically perfect in his shots. Maybe with another lead i would have enjoyed even more the overall experience: Pearce has the same identical expression for the whole movie for god sake. Also i think that in some spots the story isn't 100% clear at the limit of plot hole.
Rated 28 Oct 2009
This movie was ok when i started to watch it, then it just got dumber and dumber and I found myself doing other things it was a waste of time
Rated 29 Sep 2008
Crazy, and bizaar. Amazing twist.
Rated 12 Dec 2011
Great storyline, a nice figure 8... backwards.
Rated 27 Mar 2021
very clever. great concept, told very well. inevitable but hard-to-foresee ending (the best kind of ending)
Rated 28 Aug 2012
Amazing mindfuck, allowing you to crawl into the mind of Leonard, who after a head trauma is unable to build new memories. Slowly revealing the plot, Nolan works with 2 different timelines. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
Rated 28 Aug 2007
Bullet.
Rated 12 Oct 2007
Just like any good pantheon's movie should be, this a neo-noir-psychological thriller plays with how we are used to consume dramatic narratives and percept time. Guy Pearce is at its best as a memory-blanked insurance fraud investigator thinking he is after a burglar who raped and killed his wife.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
Great, great film. Remember it!
Rated 28 Dec 2007
Great the first time, but lacks rewatch value.
Rated 24 Feb 2009
Very clever.
Rated 11 May 2009
Any time you're going to do something as gimmicky as this, you have to really commit and not half-ass it. The movie does a decent job of that, making the twist as logical as it could be.
Rated 04 Dec 2006
I like this kind of movie
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Only really for cult worship. But on par with a mid 70.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
A movie to remember.
Rated 21 May 2012
The nonlinear storytelling masterfully transports the viewer into the disjointed, one-piece-at-a-time life that the protagonist suffers. The only thing disappointing about this film was how tightly it concludes itself - neatly managing to turn its entire compelling mystery into a pointlessly predetermined affair.
Rated 22 Jan 2009
An excellent film, not something you can just switch off and enjoy. If you have the DVD there is an Easter egg with the film in chronological order, a must watch, as I didn't realise how much I had missed the first few times I had seen this
Rated 15 May 2008
Great concept, near perfect, and I hate thrillers !
Rated 24 Apr 2007
Well done film. Interesting set up
Rated 09 Jan 2013
Wonderful, clever, surprising movie. One of Nolan's best.
There is no other movie like this that I have seen. Must pay attention it is worth watching.
i forgot what it was about
Rated 25 Jan 2011
You should see this movie no matter what you hearfrom anyone else. It's one of those extremely original movies that even if you don't find it entertaining, you still walk away knowing a different take of filmaking. Discalimer: your head might hurt at the end of the day.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
starts out great, ends up weak
Rated 09 Apr 2018
It's backwards.
Rated 27 Feb 2010
An excellent thriller that makes great use of non-linear story-telling. Wonderfully paced and executed with some engaging performances. Beyond that, the film is a simple tale with a relatively dull message, the magic here comes from the dynamics between the characters and the protagonist's own self-discovery, simple as though it may be. Because of its lack of stand-out technique (beyond just simply being good) I can't rate it too highly, but it's one hell of a ride.
Rated 25 Dec 2020
Worth watching every time you've forgotten everything about it.
Rated 13 Dec 2014
Indulgent to the point of cringe.
Rated 27 Apr 2007
Wow, what a concept...a new premise. I love movies that make your mind do backflips
Rated 04 Jun 2011
I have seen first hindi verson of that movie name is "Ghajini (2008)" leonard is suffring from short term memory loss but he want to find murderer of his wife. how he can do that this is the main story of this movie.
Rated 30 Sep 2008
Twisted!
Rated 27 Nov 2008
Oh my good God!!! SEE IT. SEE IT NOW. This movie is SO great. Trust me when I tell you that you probably won't understand it completely the first time through. The way it's done, though, esp. the timeline aspect of it (eg b&w vs. color, progression is linear, buy convoluted - simultaneously in two different directions). Who thinks of that? Who I ask you? If you've answered geniuses, then you are correct. Great sndtrk too. I have seen this movie so many times, it might be absurd.
Rated 12 Jul 2011
Watched this twice with a 8 year interval, still cannot appreciate.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
Great concept. That's what this one was funded on. It doesn't go very far with this. It could have gone anywhere and instead it mills around town. Still great moments of tension.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Sure it's a gimmick movie, but here the gimmick works
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Irritating, but I couldn't just walk away, had to see it to the end. No repeat though.