Un Chien Andalou

1929
Fantasy, Horror
Short Film
16m
In a dream-like sequence, a woman's eye is slit open--juxtaposed with a similarly shaped cloud obsucuring the moon moving in the same direction as the knife through the eye--to grab the audience's attention (imdb)
FandorTubi TVFandor Amazon ChannelFlixFlingIndieFlix

I've found I don't enjoy Buñuel's defiantly obtuse brand of surrealism very much (I prefer at least some method in my madness), but this short is definitely notable for its eye-opening place in film history. Worth a one-time watch.
It is rightfully famous for being the defining work of the surrealist movement, and for its memorable images. But as a short film, compared to almost any other piece in this medium, it is simply not very good. It's illogical, messy, abstruse, incoherent. Yes, there is imagery which can be decoded, but even this is stuffy and inconclusive. Buñuel proved later that surrealism and entertaining, thought-provoking films are not mutually exclusive. Here, he just made an inaccessible, tiring flop.
A combination of humor, lyricism, and a sense of internal logic (twisted and oblique though it may be). It just speaks to me the right way.
Artsy-fartsy BS.
I'm not a fan of surrealism without purpose, I'm too desensitized for this to be shocking, and it hasn't aged all that well. Still, it works the brain and is a very unique experience and daring experiment.

Director: luis-buuelLuis Buñuel