2024
Romance
-1h 59m
Follows three players who knew each other when they were teenagers as they compete in a tennis tournament to be the world-famous grand slam winner, and reignite old rivalries on and off the court. (imdb)

2024
Romance
-1h 59m

Rated 27 Apr 2024
Full of formal gambits that shouldn't work, but all of them do. The only thing more sexy than these three sweaty athletes is that crazy non-linear narrative structure! And good gravy, this score is the best thing Reznor and Ross have ever done. The most fun I've had at the theater this year so far! Man, I could go for a churro right about now.
Rated 22 Apr 2024
Wickedly smart, unbelievably tense, extremely funny, and sexy as hell, all while being wildly kinetic and entertaining. With the current state of Hollywood it’s very welcome to see a mainstream-adjacent movie that’s so willing to be unashamedly erotic and have very real things to say about sex, power, and competition. The main cast are all phenomenal, while Reznor/Ross’ pulsating score is one of their best and the cinematography is electric and exquisite. Luca in prime form. potion seller joke
Rated 27 Apr 2024
Exhilarating direction and the best performance I've seen from Zendaya, playing a delightfully gray character. Josh O'Connor also brings a charismatic rockstar sleaze to his role as well. Mike Faist serves as a perfect white knight counterpart. Great film overall.
Rated 24 Apr 2024
One of the best sports movies I've seen. O'Connor just about steals the film with his leaned-back confidence and his charisma, and Guadagnino and his cinematographer have crafted a handsomely shot movie that tells a pretty trashy story in a very stylish and entertaining manner.
Rated 30 Apr 2024
The trailer didn’t do this one justice. It is a love triangle movie and it is pretty sensual, but there’s an equal amount of style and substance, and not nearly as much sex and nudity and one may expecting. Yet it’s still a sexy movie, from the acting to the cinematography to the sound design and music. I like my characters detestable so no issues with that, especially when the leads are THIS good. A gorgeous movie that’s really well made and written AND fun to watch. Short version; it’s great.
Rated 23 Apr 2024
This movie has more flashbacks than a whole season of LOST!
Rated 21 May 2024
The sports film of my dreams. It's viscerally physical, sophisticated, sexy, emotional, subtle when it needs to be and then shamelessly overt with just as much creative confidence. An unexpected treasure of a movie
Rated 19 May 2024
While it romanticizes tennis a lot, I also think that it's kind of aware how silly it is that they only talk about tennis. They acknowledge it in dialogue but the pounding (and awesome) music all over the place contributes to that... unless I've completely misread it. Either way, the drama and the performances all make it worthwhile. Some scenes/shots could have been shorter but generally the build is worth it. The tone is odd, not bad, making it a unique sports movie.
Rated 18 May 2024
Play this soundtrack during every Open final till the end of time.
Rated 01 May 2024
Really solid performance and story. Captivating with twists and unknowns. You're really not sure how this one will end until the end. Glad I saw this one.
Rated 30 Apr 2024
A cologne commercial turned into a 2h+ film. Way too many macro shots. Reznor's score had me laughing the 176th time it was played in the film. Zendaya's character was underdeveloped as we don't know what drives her sadistic decision-making.
Rated 18 May 2024
In tennis, "love" means zero...
Rated 11 May 2024
A sports romance drama that impresses with its fresh, daring choices in combining music and imagery to create a tense, energetic film. The nonlinear storytelling works well to build emotion and mirror the back-and-forth of a tennis match. Well-acted by Zendaya and the two male leads. Ambitious, well-executed cinematography gives each tennis match a distinct visual approach. A few cheesy lines but overall an intense, fierce, sexy film. Score: 8.5/10
Rated 25 Apr 2024
sport as 100% metaphor, i dig it
Rated 17 May 2024
How to make tennis less boring? Make a movie and cast the most hyped actress, then you need Luca Guadagnino (because he has made a career out of making straight boys kiss), he knows how to make a love triangle. And most importantly you need really loud techno music (it will make audience think they are watching something not-boring.
Rated 27 Apr 2024
Moral of the story is find a gay best friend.
Rated 24 May 2024
When plotting this movie, its soundtrack and its storyboards, vibes won the day: if an element slapped, it was in, no further thoughts. So we get slomo and house music in the first few minutes, a barrage of experimental angles in the climax, angelic boys' choirs drowning out dialogue. Often, the elements serve no narrative purpose, but they really do vibe. Characterization is sometimes lacking, but subtle moments (foot-shifting-stool) and that climactic build and release are exceptional.
Rated 22 May 2024
The more I think about how popular this movie is the more I get depressed.
Rated 02 May 2024
As good as this can be at times, it can also get tiresome. The cutting back and forth between timelines, as well as between the two lovers Zendaya shares, can give you whiplash. I may not be so invested in this central threeway, but the film's technical prowess sometimes sucked me in, with a real pulsating score, entertainingly shot tennis sequences (though they get a bit much towards the end, especially with the slo-mo), and the overall sensual, bodily, and gay presentation of it all.
Rated 26 Apr 2024
audiovisual 45 acting 70 overall feeling 15 avg 43
Rated 03 May 2024
This is (tennis) sex without touching.
Rated 26 May 2024
I'd let her fuck me with a racket - tennis euphemism for pegging
Rated 14 May 2024
This is actually more tennis than expected. Even when not on a court, it's tennis. Too much to say about the trio, Guadagnino's energetic direction, the perfect editing -- every piece of this film, really -- to fit here, but I found this scratched multiple parts of my brain from start to finish, and the Reznor/Ross score injecting its bloostream with concentrated gay nightclub only jacked my adrenaline further and upped the tension in brilliant ways.
Rated 21 May 2024
Plot 9/20 Fiction 6/20 Casting/Acting 9/20 Worldbuilding 9/20 Entertainment 11/20
+Style
Rated 29 Apr 2024
Engrossing, different, though slowed right down at the end. Didn't like the ending
Rated 10 May 2024
I’m just stopping by man, this is where you live.
Rated 28 Apr 2024
I get gay vibes from this movie
Rated 19 May 2024
Felt longer and more convoluted than necessary but great performances and cheeky eroticism see it through. Some good fucking tennis (and churros).
Rated 21 May 2024
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I was going to. It's well-written and the way the subtext of the trio of characters' relationships weaves through the tennis match is masterful. All the actors are pitch perfect with their portrayals as well, which helps to sell some of the film's more convenient plot points. Occasionally there are some soap opera over-the-top moments, but for the most part, it's very effective. Also, killer score by Reznor and Ross.
Rated 02 May 2024
*SPOILERS* So, the movie ends abruptly and the credits roll. Are we supposed to have a fucking clue what happens next? He's thankful to Zendaya for prostituting herself to benefit his career? Zendaya leaves her husband for the bad boy? He divorces Zendaya for cheating? The guys run off happy gay for each other? I honestly have no clue. It didn't seem to amount to anything. At all. And I saw the "I slept with your wife" signal coming, but...so what?
Rated 25 May 2024
Zendaya carries this film and has chemistry with both Faist and O'Connor. It was a well told story even if the ending kind of got away from it. The soundtrack was probably the best part of the movie using the score to accentuate the tension. This movie rides squarely on Zendaya to showcase her tremendous talents. She even said this one of her most challenging roles because she has never been married with kids. She crushed it.
Rated 18 May 2024
Guadagnino's hyperactive style and horrible soundtrack try to communicate passion, but the screenplay is so slight that he comes off more like a hype man for sweaty dudes in shorts. I was never one for rivalry stories, I guess - the more heated the characters act, the more ridiculous they become, and after an hour I wanted to excuse myself. And since the movie leads and climaxes with this style, it doesn't feel the need to flesh out or end character arcs. A pointless throwaway for this director.
Rated 20 May 2024
What a strange film. Parts felt like an after school special acting wise and other parts felt like a solid erotic drama. A lot of it just felt too shallow and all the slo-mo w electronica that I enjoyed early on seemed to stretch it 20 minutes too long. Can't go higher than 6.3 here.
Rated 13 May 2024
Challengers became my favorite Guadagnino movie after Suspiria. A toxic, passionate and competitive love triangle in which tennis is used entirely as a metaphor. The storytelling, direction and music are chef's kiss. Immersive and absolutely enjoyable.
Rated 05 May 2024
Rich kids' problems and tennis... two things I have very little tolerance for in real life, somehow made for an engaging, stylish and downright great drama. rather than singing the praises of all the great talent involved with the final film, I'd like for once to extend my compliments to the marketing department, who's horny bait 'n' switch approach to the trailer was *chef's kiss*
Rated 17 May 2024
Very good movie for the gays and such. The ending was great.