Barry Lyndon
Barry-Lyndon

Barry Lyndon

1975
Romance, Drama
An Irish rogue wins the heart of a rich widow and assumes her dead husband's position in 18th Century aristocracy.
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV
The Roku Channel

Barry Lyndon is like walking through an art gallery, and each painting gives you just that much more of the story. I love the veneer of artifice (hinting at class divisions) that permeates the dialogue and narration, which is only underscored by the natural lighting and costumes: there's no romanticism here, everyone's simultaneously butt-ugly and beautiful. And I don't care how long this is, if you get swept up in the visual aura, this can be 8 hours long and still a joy to behold.
Barry Lyndon contains some of the greatest cinematography I've ever seen. Kubrick made every shot something you would hang on your wall. The film evokes interesting feelings. Everything from the begining of the film where Redmond Barry is a young man in love, to the gruesome battle scenes and duels. Ryan O'Neal portrays Redmond to perfection. Kubrick's glorious direction and the atmosphere presented is one of his best. Barry Lyndon is a truly unique and remarkable experience.
this shit is good but my attention span is not good enuff
Enough has been said about the painterly compositions filmed with Stanley's magical NASA space lens, so I will merely remark that they are unrivaled in the cinema. But what truly makes this Kubrick's second best film, not to mention one of the greatest of all time, is the surgical skewering of class divisions, the sly jabs at period social mores, and the epic manner in which Barry's intricately plotted and flawlessly observed character arc bends towards inevitable tragedy.
Kubrick can be a cold insane asshole because he produces works like this, if it was like McG doing that shit behind the camera lmao Gorgeous movie, a rich tapestry of characters. Make me watch a period piece and baby I’ll start throwing around tapestry. That old time way of war where everyone would march and line up and just walk into a volley of musket fire is the dumbest fucking thing, the greatest military strategist of the time could just say “hey go sideways”.

Submitted bymhendumhendu on 25 Mar 2006