Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind

1939
Romance

On the one hand, it's epic human drama with compelling characters and marvelous performances. The four hours swept past in no time. But I cannot forgive the racism. I cannot forgive the romanticizing of the Old South, the glorification of the Confederation, the cartoon caricatures, the suggestion that slavery was not that bad. I cannot forgive a film which presents a cotton plantation as a symbol of hope and glory.
Rated 17 Mar 2013
If someone suggested a 4-hour glossy melodrama about the loves and losses of aristocratic Nazis set against the backdrop of WW2, with occasional comic interludes by a token house Jew, they'd be drummed out of town. But right at the beginning of World War 2 this came out and is somehow considered a classic.
Rated 27 Feb 2008
The epic movie by excellence. It's everything about how big it looks and how it is the one and only true Golden Age of Hollywood EPIC film. Vivien Leigh carries the whole movie and yes, it's worth viewing it several times.
It's huge and epic, sure, but it's also tedious in parts and it fails to tackle any meaningful points concerning the nature of the Old South. Not once does the movie suggest that maybe the "civilization gone with the wind" went away primarily because it was founded on antiquated ideas and morals. Still, I won't pretend it isn't a very, very well done movie.
Rated 19 Jan 2010
Josef Goebbels loved this movie.
Rated 19 Feb 2020
I gave it my 'ole once-a-decade try, and the prestige continues to corrode with age. Selznick's inability to grasp nuance means the production leans into the garishness of everything: the Technicolor looks good but characters suffer. Scarlett's impetuousness comes off not strong and calculated, but impulsive and irrational. There's a lot of America to truly explore, here, but the film's shallow nature in this historical context pretty much says There Were Very Fine People on Both Sides. Uh, but.
Rated 14 Feb 2012
While it contains some good individual moments (not to mention great sets and gorgeous colors), I quickly soured on the experience as a whole. I'm supposed to care about these slave-owning, war-hungry, selfish people? I truly can't imagine how anyone could watch this racist and melodramatic romancey trash that takes 4 hours to go nowhere and think "American classic!".
Rated 13 Nov 2014
I watched this movie and the only thing I could think after was "I wish I had a wise cracking Mammy" and my brain exploded at its own awfulness.
Rated 15 Aug 2009
Gone with the Wind is a well made epic with some fantastic moments, but it is extremely melodramatic. I adored the performances from both Viven Leigh and Clarke Gable, as well as the supporting characters. Now I did not mind the length of the film, but it was extremely boring at some points. Even still, Gone with the Wind is a well shot and directed film, until the last hour where it just seemed things were getting out of hand. Good, but frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Rated 14 Feb 2008
Performs one magic trick in that it is four hours long but never, ever dull. Performs another in that, by its midpoint, this vain, silly woman has become Our Heroine. Men are not supposed to like chick pictures at all, especially not this one; I want to see this again just writing about it
Rated 28 Dec 2016
Shallow selfish woman pursued by a man attracted to her shallow selfishness, eventually marries her, starts to dislike her for being shallow and selfish. Black people are child-like and unreliable, or devoted to their masters even after formal abolition. The Southern practice of collective violence pointed downwards, imagined as defense of Southern womanhood, is displaced from emerging Jim Crow race terror to shanty-town dwellers from the North, symbols of (IRL defeated) Radical Reconstruction.
Rated 21 Jan 2017
One Melodrama to rule them all. One Melodra...eeh, you get the idea. Four hours seems a bit excessive for what's essentially a maudlin romance (?) between a suave mothafucka and a doe-eyed, self-centered brat who, much like my FWB, is all looks and zero personality. Or a tedious one for that. If it weren't for the lavish production values and a pretty fantastic Clark Gable, I probably wouldn't even consider revisiting it.
Rated 01 May 2016
It tells an epic, sweeping story with well-developed characters, and it tells it really well, but it also tells that story through a lens of rape-apologism, slavery-glorification and historical revisionism. I'm certainly not the first person to say these things, but that's the complicated nature of this film: There's moments watching it when I'm awed, blown-away and swept off my feet in a epic tour de force, followed immediately by moments so problematic they literally make me feel ill.
Rated 22 Jan 2015
Frankly, my dear, this movie is crap.
Rated 29 Oct 2015
Remember the good old days, when you could own black people, marital rape and domestic violence were fine, and everyone was the kind of empty headed moron who was seconds away from yelling "yippee!" and running off to get killed in a war (in the case of the men) or bursting into tears about literally anything (in the case of women)? And all four hours of it seem to be in aid of Scarlet learning literally the first lesson she's given in the first five minutes of the film. Classic my balls.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
I didn't give a damn.
Rated 09 Jul 2010
Where can I start on this atrocity? It was too long. I normally don't complain about movie length, as I believe movies should be 2 hours+ minimum, but this movie dragged on and on and on and I kept waiting and expecting it to become good. It kind of did during the second half, but the first half left me so fucking distraught from wasting the last 2 hours of my life, I just didn't care anymore. By the end of the movie I was thankful it was finally over. Bitch got served and I was happ
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Frankly my dear, they just don't make 'em like this anymore
Rated 06 Jul 2007
Both book and movie are over-rated. Filled with unlikable and irritating characters who deserve each other. There are moments of legitimate greatness to the movie -- but not enough to make me ever want to sit through it again.
Rated 09 Apr 2023
Epic and essential. One of the great classics. And if you disagree then frankly...
Rated 12 Jul 2011
I like Scarlett O'Hara, the music and the very detailed production values, but this is a film that I won't be returning. It wasn't the revisionist history and the glorification of the Old South, but it was just to damn long, and not that good as a whole. There were great moments(When they are escaping Atlanta and return to Tara, Scarlett and Reth talk in the middle of the night) but there wasn't that much to it.
Rated 15 May 2009
There is so much wrong with this movie. Politicaly incorrect, offensive and just around 4hours. But besides all that, Gone With The Wind still kicks 21st century epic's ass. ... The a-typical love story, the sets, and the patience they have on telling this entire adventure. ... Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and especially Hattie McDaniel are brilliant.
Rated 27 Oct 2019
Some of the greatest female characters in the history of film. Complex and gorgeous.
Rated 15 Jan 2007
Overrated as all hell.
Rated 24 May 2022
2. An absolute rollercoaster and a cinematic experience of its own - gotta miss the Hollywood epics of the days of old. Vivien Leigh is un-be-liev-ab-le. What a role. Clark Gable delivers massively too, especially in the first 3/4ths of the film - the ultimate broken alpha male. I cried, I laughed, I was joyous and commiserating along with the characters. The intermission came well needed at the silly hours of the night I was watching this. Poorer last quarter, but great finale.
Rated 05 Apr 2011
I had heard that it should be seen in spite of its glorification of the Old South for containing some great acting, but I'm just not seeing it. It felt entirely average.
Rated 28 Mar 2007
I know you're probably wondering why on earth I could give this movie anything less than the highest rating, but I must tell you that while there are some undeniably great moments, great acting, great directing, and a great story, the fact that the film is four hours and the least interesting hour of the film is the last made me restless for the film to wrap up and finish. A beautiful film, and a must-see for anyone who loves grand old Hollywood productions; this is the grand-daddy of them all.
Rated 24 Nov 2014
I feel silly by adding a qualifier on this, but this is a well made movie. However, it's hard to rank a movie highly that influences a wave of nostalgia for the old south.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
For sure, not my cup of tea at all. But after finally sitting down to watch this epic, the last line by Clark Gable has been one of the more epic put downs I have ever heard in movie history.
Rated 19 May 2016
It's amazing to me that an English (and not American) actress would forever become best known as the southern bell Scarlett O'Hara ("Fiddle dee dee!"). Not so amazing that Clark Gable would be Rhett Butler (though he had qualms about living up to everyone's expectation of the character in Margaret Mitchell's beloved book). The costumes are beautiful, the ensemble even more so. Truly a big screen production with a theme song that you will remember after.
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Pretty boring and hard to sit through war-drama. Hugely overrated and whenever someone says they love it they're usually a boring fuck anyway.
Rated 30 Oct 2013
It looks amazing and has an epic sweep to it, but this romanticising of the Old South is indefensible.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
An epic telling of the Civil War and the years following. Even though the Southern perspective romanticizes a darker history, the massive production values, magnificent acting, and classic Hollywood sensibilities are more than enough to make up for it.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
Every bit the epic it's portrayed to be, every thing is grand and near perfectly done. If you haven't already just watch it.
Rated 09 Nov 2013
Gorgeous, but an overall mixed bag. It's too melodramatic. Length would not be an issue if it wasn't as redundant as it is. It's never boring, and is paced relatively well, but it often felt like watching the same scene play out repeatedly. Still, some remarkable photography and stunning visuals and lighting.
Rated 25 Feb 2012
Being that the main character is a manipulative, shallow, and despicable person, I found it hard to watch. That was only exacerbated by the fact that this movie is nearly four hours long. Howard and Gable are the best two here, everyone else is acceptable at best. To be honest I'd have had a better taste left in my mouth if O'Hara had died in the war and it ended in the bombing of Atlanta, but all were left with is a most gratifying scene where Butler tells her to screw off and leaves.
Rated 19 Mar 2014
A bloated, insufferable piece of trash that serves as a perfect microcosm for everything wrong with the "Golden" Age of Hollywood. Absrud melodrama, piss-poor acting, disgustingly ignorant racism and even pro-rape implications all come together to make this one of the most infuriating movies I've ever seen. Even at its base artistic level, it's empty -- a hodge-podge of trash cobbled together by a producer throwing money at the screen. In reality, it's throwing money into a bonfire. Trash.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Gone With the Wind is a superb epic romance that has more than stood the test of time. It is brilliantly acted, directed, and scored and it is easily one of the most watchable older films out there.
Rated 27 Nov 2009
Typically, I wouldn't have the patience for a 4-hour-long romance but the fact that I watched the beautifully remastered Blu-ray version helped. Regardless, Leigh's incredibly whiny yet fleshed-out Scarlett, Gable's naturally charming Rhett, and even the supporting cast like Mammy made the run-time not only bearable, but thoroughly enjoyable. I don't really have a desire to ever re-watch it, but I highly recommend everyone to see this at least once in their life.
Rated 05 Jan 2012
I couldn't finish this. Horrendous. It's like every awful cliche from every romance novel thrown together.
Rated 06 Dec 2011
1. Movies need to be 4 hours long with intermissions again 2. I never thought I could like a movie with a main character I Hate, but they pulled it off. 3. I don't know why, but the final image of the film is killer.
Rated 26 Jul 2019
A great 4-hour epic. However, then there's the other side of the film -- the side where slaves get to say "quittin' time" at 5pm.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
One to watch with food supplies and a chemical toilet. This is a very long film !! Some great classic acting of its time with the feel of an epic story without necessarily being an epic by todays standards. Certainly in need of a tougher editor. The rich technicolor treatment could tempt you to judge the content and its message by contemporary values. This is still controversial today but for different reasons - leave your judgements outside and enjoy the film.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
This movie getting unheard of praise bothers me greatly.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
The only film in history which could be profitably revived for 40 years: 'still pure gold', said _The Daily Mirror_ in 1975. Whole books have been written about it; its essential appeal is that of a romantic story with strong characters and an impeccable production.
Rated 11 Feb 2015
You know, it's not one I really ever need to watch again, but for one viewing, it's a really spectacular watch. It obviously has its "being dated" problems - being a big-budget Hollywood picture from 1939, of COURSE it's kind of racist, and of COURSE it's going to be melodramatic as all hell. You just kind of take all that as it comes.
Rated 31 Aug 2015
The last film I saw with such vibrant colors was Barry Lyndon, and that's saying something. It is breathtaking, really. A film that could only have been made in a specific time in a specific place. I immensely enjoyed the depiction of a crumbling society, the dead of dreams at the hands of Civil War. Yet, the last hour falls into melodrama. As the war ends, and the totally unlikeable Scarlett pushes her self-pity and arrogance upon us, I really stopped giving a damn.
Rated 10 Aug 2016
The movie is sooooooooooo long, so is the book.
Rated 21 Mar 2015
I can certainly understand why Gone with the Wind is a classic. It tells a rather engaging story as you see the south change over the Civil War. It also contains some rather impressive set pieces and visuals for a movie made in 1939. That said, Gone with the Wind isn't my favorite movie. An unlikable main character in Scarlett and a four hour run time makes it hard to love, even if I do understand why it is so loved.
Rated 16 Apr 2008
One of the most perfect movies ever!
Rated 23 Sep 2008
An epic Hollywood movie. Although one hates Scarlett at times one wants to see her struggle, Vivien Leigh did a really good job.
Rated 01 May 2023
Most of the people in this movie were dead before I was born. For a primordial film the production values hold up super well, minus some rear projection. The escape from Atlanta with the burning plantations is pretty epic. Leigh and Gable are excellent as is Max Steiner’s score. Final stretch gets kinda bizarre with people falling off of horses and down stairs, and I had no idea what the sister was suddenly dying from. Lol at HBO Max making you watch a lil lecture about racism before you start.
This is one of the great glamourous love stories of the classic film era - so brillant & grandly realized that it's destined to be rediscovered by each succeeding generation. Clark Gable is dashing & charismatic. Vivien Leigh arguably gives the best female performance in the history of cinema. Gorgeous to look at. One for the ages.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Woah, estrogen overload! I fully understand why women like this movie, and there's a lot to be said in favor of it, from the iconic cinematography to the lush sets and lavish costumes, from the well-crafted score to the altogether laudable performances. But in the end it's still tough for a guy to enjoy four hours of relentless bickering, manipulation, bitching and fake tears, all-time classic or not.
Rated 28 Sep 2016
Epic in size and scope, Gone with the Wind is one of the most involving love stories ever told on the big screen.
Selznick soap. Scarlett is a stupid bitch and Rhett makes the right decision. Sure it's epic, but "Gone With The Wind" has NOT aged well.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
Another film that really does live up to its hype - beautifully photographed and a truly harrowing story. Perhaps too harrowing - I haven't been able to watch it again since.
Rated 16 Oct 2016
Gone with the Wind has great historical significance as that final, unabashedly sincere embodiment of the Old South's aesthetics and morals - including the racism and the antiquated concepts of male chivalry. For an epic technicolor melodrama it is also respectably complex, and a certain truthfulness shines through even the tackiest scenes. By no means the masterpiece it was once considered as, it's still an interesting and valuable movie.
Rated 07 Sep 2009
Classic. It is a perfect example of a great love story in the times of war.
Rated 13 Aug 2007
I don't know if I'm just too silly to like Gone with the Wind, but I don't think it was boring at any point. Sure, at some points it's too bombastic and it surely suffers from all its grandiosity from time to time, but it's still an excellent film overall.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
A grand and epic feature that demands to be appreciated for its incredible scope and vision. It's fairly entertaining and compelling, too, but quite melodramatic - especially in the last half hour or so, when it's almost hyperbolic. While ultimately it doesn't impress me as much as any of David Lean's epics or any of the more detached period pieces (like Barry Lyndon), it's still worth watching.
Rated 24 Mar 2011
The siege of Atlanta and the hardships of the South during the Civil War are masterfully unfolded in this terrific spectacle. Leigh's performance is fetching as Scarlett O'Hara, and Gable still makes the ladies' hearts flutter as Rhett Butler. Part spectacle, part history, a dash of biography, and all smashing entertainment.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Very well made for it's time.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
It amazes me that this is really considered a classic. I watched this as a kid. Hated it. Watched it in college. Hated it more. Good thing tastes are subjective.
Rated 28 Oct 2019
I finally got to see this, and even on the big screen - 80 years anniversary! I was not bored for one minute (out of 238). Leigh was simply excellent and Gable was one handsome Gable. I laughed, I cried, I held my breath and I sighed over this tragic love story. When you figure out love too late... *Fantastic
Rated 29 Jan 2010
Frankly, I don't give a damn. I still think this epic film is worth a watch for the wonderful cinematography and watching Vivien Leigh trying to remain professional while Clark Gable is breathing and sweating alcohol stench all over her. Bwah ha ha ha ha!
Rated 17 Jun 2017
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 88
Rated 18 Jan 2012
It was quite wonderful. I was a bit worried I'd get bored, but I didn't really. It was long, obviously, but it felt appropriate. The cinematography was absolutely beautiful and impressive for its time. The production design and costumes were also gorgeous. Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable were both fantastic, and were joined by a great supporting cast too. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn't watch it again in a hurry, but it's very easy to see why it's held in such high regard.
Rated 22 Oct 2010
Another over-rated classic.
Rated 20 Jul 2007
Just because its a classic does not mean i liked it.
Rated 22 Apr 2007
Huge, epic, monumental, extravagant...and boring.
Rated 10 Mar 2023
Mítico drama sureño ambientado en la guerra de secesión americana con un reparto insuperable .Basado en el bestseller de Margaret Mitchell.Un buen puñado de Oscars y escenas tan icónicas como Escarlata(Vivien Leigh) con un rábano en la mano(plano del atardecer) jurando que nunca volverá a pasar hambre.Eterno clásico.
Rated 02 Sep 2012
Simply extraordinary epic, spectacularly produced and mounted, and superbly serviced by its roll-call of talent in front and behind the cameras. That such a slapdash and chaotic production could produce such sterling results is a testament to all involved, and the film still works 70 years later because of the powerful and passionate relationship between Rhett and Scarlett, both of whom behave in ways that are still shockingly modern (the censors would have had a field day in 1939!).
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Loved it!
Rated 23 Dec 2013
Filmed and presented on a scale not seen in modern productions, Gone with the Wind is, if not the definitive Hollywood film, then certainly near the top of the list.
Rated 16 Aug 2007
It's a wonderfully shot and acted movie. While I have quite a few issues with some of the messages in the movie, there's no denying what a splendid production this is. If you ignore the intertitles glorifying the old south and view it simply as a story set in that time it's much easier to enjoy.
Rated 11 Jul 2014
A well-deserving classic. While sporting a few great performances like Gable and Leigh, this movie maintains fantastic direction and cinematography. Unfortunately, it is just too long. It can be boring, and tough to get through. It's 3 and a half hour run time is just overwhelming. Thankfully that is the least of its worries as the movie is still coherent and a classic. Not as good as modern critics may shout, but still damn good.
Rated 15 May 2008
Saw this for the first time at the Fox in Atlanta. Perfection!
Rated 20 Nov 2012
Four hours passed by really fast.
Rated 05 Jul 2012
There's a lot we can say about the portrayal of the Old South as glamorous and good, but the epic scope of the picture helps make all but the worst aspects of it (like the character of Prissy) acceptable. Vivien Leigh is stellar in this film, while Gable is pure class up on screen. The Technicolor photography is definitely my very aspect - gorgeous shot after shot. The film does drop in quality in the second half, though.
Rated 26 Jul 2018
Growing up this movie reminded me of "The Ten Commandments"(1956). Although not for anything actually in the movie, as I never actually watched either, but because of their nearly four hour runtime, I associated them with my grandma and aunts watching them, and thus holding the living room TV hostage for what felt like an eternity. After finally seeing this as an adult, my childhood assumptions surprisingly make a lot more sense now, and so too does my Irish Catholic family's slight racism.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 62
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Best film ever made--acting, direction, sound track, cinematography, adaptation of a novel, ability to hold you in your seat.
Rated 13 Aug 2008
Intensely important culturally and relevant for understanding social dynamics.
Rated 02 Jan 2018
Sagitário.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Moms and grandmas all over the world enjoy this movie like any other. But I keep only the american story part...
Rated 31 Jul 2012
Well shot and directed and partly (Gable) well acted, but also one of the most boring and melodramatic movies I've ever seen. Also, lasts a lifetime.
Rated 01 Dec 2008
Helt ærligt, det er sgu en gammel ost...
Rated 14 Jan 2011
Classical, to keep on memories.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
One of the most famous pictures in the history of film. It's extremely epic in scope, especially for it's time period. Groundbreaking? Sure. There however are some flaws that weigh the film down, and it isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be. Personally, I liked The Wizard Of Oz and Of Mice And Men more than this, so IMO it didn't deserve Best Picture. Either way, it's a controversial film, and a damn good one at that, even if it isn't completely deserving of it's classic status. Grade: B
Rated 18 Feb 2012
Incredible visuals. The twin distractions of overbearing diegetic music and typically wretched, over-the-top, super-inflected Hollywood Golden Age acting at times make the dialogue/plot unintelligible. Style points aside, it's a fairly decent story and study of psychopathy.
Rated 05 Sep 2007
One of the finest movies ever made. Based on an excellent book about a terrible period in American history, this movie delivers it all: drama, a love story, tragedy, humanity at its best and worst. The excellent cast is directed well. How good is it? It's never been remade - a staple formula for Hollywood since the 1960's has been "Remake old successes for today's audience". Simply one of the finest films ever.
Rated 28 Jun 2007
It's hard to subjectively watch this epic, so many of it's scenes are classic. But it still holds up, and the technicolour, though faded compared to what is possible today, must have been an amazing sight 70 years ago.
Rated 20 Oct 2010
Pretty impressive visuals for being made in the late 30's. Clark Gable was the shit and so was mammy. But it's still not one of the greatest movies of all time.
Rated 08 Jun 2019
It's a great one, although with some eye-rolling moments. I doubt that I'll ever want to see it again.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Lacks the directorial personality that great films demand, but Vivian Leigh is marvelous and many of the sequences are unforgettable.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Gorgeous film. Vivien Leigh is fantastic. Everyone should see it at least twice.
Rated 16 Jun 2008
A classic.
Rated 12 Jan 2019
It's hard for me not to like this long movie. The storytelling and performances are excellent (possible exception of about the last hour or so--a bit too melodramatic), but it is so incredibly racist. Even taking the period and time it was made into account, as an African-American, I found parts of it hard to swallow. That said, overall, I still enjoyed it and have watched it a few times.