Public Enemies
Public-Enemies

Public Enemies

2009
Drama, Crime
The Feds try to take down notorious American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd during a booming crime wave in the 1930s.
Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduStarz
Microsoft Store
Starz Roku Premium Channel
Starz Amazon Channel

Gangster Films 101: Guy does bad things, bad guy not so bad, bad guy falls for good woman, good woman makes bad guy become more humane and personable, good bad guy gets killed by bad good guys. Pathos. Gangster Films 130: Some good moments (read: gunfights), but Mann's digital camerawork detracts from character intimacy. Bale furrows his brow. Depp tries, Crudup succeeds. Audience looks bored despite body count.
Total snooze and a huge letdown. Plus you add in a horrible script that consists of this: rob a bank, get caught, break out (repeat) - then die. Most of the shots are just horrible handycam close ups of Bale or Depp. Mann, can you learn how to purchase a fucking tripod you idiot?
"Heat" in the 1930's? No, not at all. And thats what I was axpecting. Instead of having Pacino and De Niro, they had this generations 'big stars' Depp and Bale, and they delivered, but the film did not. The film did have some high points, namely the gunfights, and, well... the gunfights. I really liked seeing Depp as someone normal (if you can call Dillinger Normal). Worth seeing, I know if you haven't seen it, your expecting a lot, but you won't get much.
Mann's obsession with realism is becoming detrimental to his storytelling abilities. It adds intensity to gunfights, but detracts from just about everything else. The pacing is awkward, and the film just feels impersonal. You don't get to know any of the characters other than what can be gleaned from the performances, and while I like both Depp and Bale very much, that's not a whole lot. The digital photography alternates between grainy and gorgeous. Overall I liked the movie, but it's flawed.
Lots of lessons to be learned about squandered opportunities here. I couldn't imagine this being anything less than great given Depp, Bale and Mann's involvement, and yet...it is. If you're going to see this for Bale, don't even bother. He's barely in it, and his presence doesn't register at all. I'm sure he was handsomely compensated for his work. What a waste. I was also astounded at how little is revealed about Dillinger himself. He's a "hero" to the people. Well...why? It's never explained.

Last modified by:trefwoordpTrefwoordP on 24 Dec 2021