1998
Romance
This sweet romantic comedy reunites "Sleepless In Seattle" stars Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. He's the owner of a bookstore chain; she's the woman he falls for online. Both are unaware that she runs the little shop his company is trying to shut down.

1998
Romance

Rated 28 Apr 2020
The charming, happier version of Catfish.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Impossibly charming movie about a ruthless sociopath.
Rated 21 Dec 2009
A horrible perversion of the classic "Shop Around the Corner," this is the only pro-corporate, anti-small business romantic comedy I know.
Rated 07 Sep 2009
Yet another film full of cliches from Ephron but there's some sympathy for the characters that's earned and, at least as it progresses, it's willing to be somewhat messy and conflicted. Of course in the end everything is tied up in a neat little package, but still.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
Parts are so cute, then parts are just kind of lame and plodding. Could have been much better, but is still entertaining.
It's just pleasant, man. It's like waves lapping up against the shore or something, y'know? Cause it's like, they're e-mailing each other and they don't know, and everyone's reaching out and connecting. Kind of like us bonding. It's beautiful.
As much as I'd love to say I hate this film, I can't. It's cheesy and generic but it's charming and funny.
Rated 17 Sep 2017
Why oh why is this film two hours long? Sure, the two leads are likeable, and I like watching them on screen, but everything feels stretched out. This is also the perfect definition of a mediocre film. There's nothing in this that I hate, but there's nothing that I love (well, the casting is great).
Rated 29 Aug 2010
No fancy soundtracks and ROFL jokes but it's an highly enjoyable romantic comedy from 2 great performances. Makes you remember the intense and emotions of 90's.
Rated 25 May 2010
i might like it more if i could empathize with getting an e-mail from a girl
Really not as bad as people make it out to be. It's harmless and fun. Hanks and Ryan always have a nice chemistry and this was just showcasing that. It's basically an updated version of Sleepless in Seattle.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
"Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, a very likable Greg Kinnear...you think you're better than it, like 'Ooh this movie's going to suck,' but then you watch it and it becomes a part of you," says Ron Garner (Seth Rogen) on "Undeclared". Actually, I think the movie is pretty annoying, but if you're sick with the flu or something and aren't going anywhere for a while, it will suffice.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
reminde me mailing 2 some one
Rated 09 Mar 2007
The two most boring people on earth flirt with each other for an hour and a half.
Rated 05 Nov 2022
An utterly charming rom-com that inevitably echoes SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, but is far more successful (and romantic) than the earlier film by allowing Hanks and Ryan to do some mega-watt sparking off each other. Peppered with a lovely supporting cast (go John Randolph!) and a witty and clever Ephron script, which even manages to make the par-for-the-course contrivances seem fresh and believable (especially the moments of revelation for Hanks and Ryan).
Rated 19 Nov 2012
Classic romantic comedy and what the genre should always look like. Meg Ryan is a rom-com darling for a reason.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
They should have known they were never going to top Sleepless in Seattle.
Soulless movie exec: "Hey, remember when Sleepless in Seattle made us a shit ton of money despite completely sucking? Let's remake that movie, but with less energy and more obnoxious characters, and Meg Ryan looking 5 years grosser!" And it was so. And it was shit.
A disappointing re-teaming of the duo from the schmaltzy yet likeable Sleepless in Seattle.
Rated 10 Nov 2012
Always reminds me of my first experience getting a lady of the evening. We were getting down and dirty and the only thing I could think to say was, "You've got male...genitalia." harharhar. S/he gave it good though.
Rated 19 May 2016
This movie radiates good chemistry as Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are perfectly cast as anonymous emailing friends who fall in love over the Internet. Also helped by a great score, good writing and a noteworthy supporting cast (including the dog).
Rated 24 Jan 2016
Pretty cute, especially Tom Hanks' attempts to act like a bad guy (which he's completely incapable of doing; it adds to his appeal). The AOL stuff was outdated by the end of the decade.
Rated 20 Feb 2013
It's a cutesy wootsy romantic comedy that has some pretty good moments at times. I liked what I saw when I watched it for the first time. Not great, but okay.
Rated 27 Sep 2015
You know how some people are comPELLED to avoid "difficult", emotionally charged situations at all costs? Whoever wrote this is one of those people. EVERY single potential conflict resolves itself/is resolved by the universe before ever getting to the point of being uncomfortable. EVERYTHING goes right via the path of least resistance. A comedy for unintended reasons. Are all these romcoms like this? (not my usual genre) ...and i've tripled the length of the second longest review. booyea
Rated 09 Feb 2007
OHHH, I fell for Ephron's occasional wit and charm!
Rated 27 Apr 2007
I have to admit, I let my Cynic-Shield down and I found this movie utterly charming and nice.
Rated 13 Jun 2011
The chemistry is great but what did you expect? The writing was actually a little more than standard fare every so often. It's enjoyable, passes the time, makes you laugh a little, why not?
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Meh. Not a big fan of this genre of romantic comedy. Plus, I can't tell what the difference between this and Sleepless in Seattle is. Aren't they basically the same movie?
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Romantic comedy with internet douchebag.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Schmaltzy, but I liked it a lot.
Rated 25 Dec 2019
It's peak quaintness, and Tom Hanks is kind of a jerk for once. (His likability is not jeopardized, and he is ultimately the most charming he's ever been) The rewatch-ability factor is strong; each time, I'm left sated by completing a well-rounded journey. There are a couple of lines of dialogue along the way that hit me so hard that I reflect on them often. It is pure joy.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
I had relatively high hopes for this because Sleepless in Seattle is one of the few romantic comedies I actually like. This is more stupid than that, but it's still not as bad as so many other rom-coms.
Rated 18 Jul 2009
Was dragged on a date. Was obvious, cliche. But the real reason for the low score is it is so fucking long.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
updated version of 'shop around the corner'...it works. most girls i've met will list this as one of their favorite romantic comedies...
Much better than i expected, the supporting cast is excellent, but the picture is sometimes flat & goes on too long. Thankfully we dont spend all our time gazing at computer screens, but there are plenty of montages to make up for it.I do get this creepy sinking feeling that the message made is big corporations that crush small independent busineses are actually part of the order of things & they aren't really bad.
Rated 27 Oct 2011
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan outdid themselves in the movie. Both of them give out an amazing performance. The movie is a sweet romantic with a lot of humour and pretty believable too.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
*sends e-mail to Alex Watkins*
"We bet you'd LIKE it!" .... Whoa, hold on, Criticker. I hate this movie. The 100% definition of a chick flick. Sappy, cheesy, corny, picture perfect ending. Shoot me.
Rated 02 Oct 2009
id cyber with meg ryan too
Rated 13 Jan 2007
Kind of mediocre, but moderately charming. I do hope in 15 years people will be utterly confused by the AOL product placement though.
Rated 29 Mar 2012
Rated 01 Feb 2008
A bland, ineffectual rom com, so aggressively devoted to offending no one that it fails to entertain anyone.
Rated 08 Sep 2009
Charming. One of the movies to watch with a cup of hot cocoa.
Rated 16 Jul 2011
A poor advertisement for the its so-obviously-superior-it-makes-me-cringe-to-compare-them grandparent, The Shop Around the Corner--Meg Ryan's cute nose not withstanding. There is so little of actual consequence here that it trivializes the real struggles of people in bad relationships and difficult employments, not to mention that, barely a decade later, it is terribly outdated.
This could be the cutest movie ever made.
Once again, it's time to tap the chemistry between Ryan and Hanks. And once again, they deliver. The battle between bookstores is a great counterpoint to the growth of the relationship. Jean Stapleton is a riot too.
Rated 29 Jun 2020
The dated email motif fortunately stays in the background, so the first two acts end up being quite engaging, with the leads exuding charm and chemistry in a dramatic irony plot that's fleshed out really nicely in the clever cinematography, thoughtful voiceovers, and online vs. offline character development. The third act adds emotion ("Do you ever feel you've become the worst version of yourself?") but also discomfort with the halved irony and weird end to the big box vs. small shop sub-plot.
Rated 31 May 2011
"The well-honed dramedic performances by endearingly mock-cranky Hanks and quirky, cryin' Ryan add just enough weight to what might otherwise float away...."
Rated 14 Mar 2017
Rated 07 Jul 2022
There are odd scenes that stand out, but really it's the chemistry between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks that allows things to shine, despite generally feeling quite tame. When they are not interacting with each other the film becomes a bit of a plod and the dialogue isn't nearly as witty as it feels like it's trying to be. So the more we move into the heart of the story and the more time we spend with the two of them, the more I was sold. That forced entry into Meg's apartment is creepy though.
Rated 21 Jan 2008
It's harmless fluff.
Rated 30 Jan 2008
A decent film. Nothing great but decent. Or maybe not. I guess this film is more about who you watch it with than the film itself ;)
Rated 19 Aug 2008
Only good for The Godfather references
Rated 02 Jul 2017
There were a few moments of good chemistry and decent comedy. Apart from that a big chunk of the film was badly written, overacted and forcefully cute and employed generic and convenient plot/story-telling techniques to look smart and to create the sense of a full-circle that rom-coms strive for. What really hurts the film is the last 15 minutes or so, which are completely unbelievable - did she really fall for the guy who killed her business and was lying to her for a long period of time? Nope.
Rated 10 Jun 2020
'90s romantic comedies don't get much better than this. Hanks and Ryan at their peak not to mention a supporting cast including the likes of Kinnear and Posey who both almost steal the show. It's schmalzy and probably goes for too long but it's perfect comfort viewing. / Most recent viewing Feb 8, 2021 = It occurs to me now that this is possibly a Stieglerian comedy, more specifically a satire of proletarianisation, disguised as a rom-com. So I'm increasing my rating.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
Only acceptable viewing when half asleep on Sunday.
Rated 28 Dec 2019
Dial up Internet. AOL. Indie children's bookstore. Mega bookstore. Tube TVs and monitors. This movie should be cheesy but I choose to see it as quaint. Meg Ryan is cute as always. Tom Hanks was quite a jerk though. Fav scene: chatting with Dave Chappelle at the gym on the treadmill. Speaking of which, Dave and all the side characters basically disappear. What gives?
Rated 02 Dec 2016
Charming but dated.
Rated 04 Apr 2018
Good date movie material. Fun, entertaining.
Rated 18 Feb 2009
Hanks and Ryan together again. They do well together in this otherwise so-so rom-com. There are several good character moments scattered throughout, though.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Brought to you by aol
Rated 22 Dec 2013
Great chemistry between the leads made this a warm and charming delight.
Rated 08 Jun 2019
Dave Chappelle what the fuck
Rated 29 May 2007
[watching this movie as a 10-year-old] Internet, ERMAHGERD
Rated 25 Feb 2009
40 year olds discovering the internet wow.
Rated 18 May 2008
See Joe vs the Volcano instead. Trust me.
Rated 12 Jan 2011
Hanx
Rated 06 Jun 2007
You've Got Mail is a little too hop-skippy. It's very light, but the thick of the plot tries to trick you into thinking it isn't. No one really likes to be tricked, but it is a sweet movie nonetheless. Meh!
Rated 16 Oct 2010
Ultra cutsey and needless re-pairing of the rom com super team. Continuation of Meg Ryans morphing into a cat-faced demon.
Rated 16 Sep 2015
This sweet romantic comedy reunites stars Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. He's the owner of a bookstore chain; she's the woman he falls for online. Both are unaware that she runs the little shop his company is trying to shut down.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
Tom Hanks is kind of okay. I never understand what people see in Meg Ryan though.
Rated 12 Nov 2012
It's long and rambling for a rom-com, and there's the problem that TV now does romantic comedy much better than film does. The great dialogue and the dependence on voice-over to have the actors read out their emails makes me think it would have been better suited as a play. Sure New York is beautiful and Meg Ryan is captivating, but scenes of people sitting at their computers typing emails doesn't really deserve a film treatment. But it still has me crying at the end...!
Rated 03 Jan 2011
I'm sorry, movie, but you're just not my type. Romantic comedies. Why does that genre exist again? Most importantly, why did I watch this?
Rated 25 Aug 2022
I was stressed thinking they wouldn't get together even though of course they will. Also, the bookstore RIP.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Bland
Rated 19 Jun 2009
I can only take so much sugar.
Rated 12 Aug 2010
Heavenly romantic! However this must be one of those movies which just is one big cliché, I loved every minute of it. When I see Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, I just see and feel magic in the air. Nice to watch, humourous, romantic and well-acted!
Rated 20 Jun 2008
x0
I don't remember how I got sucked into seeing this but I owe whoeve's fault it is a swift kick in the face.
Rated 22 Feb 2009
The most entertaining thing to me about this film at this point is looking back at how dated the internet is. Dial-up. I don't miss it at all. Everything else is just a very average love story.
Rated 26 Jan 2021
#20-5#, popcorn, cast, oldies(2) }*{ #00s(e)#, story, cast!
Rated 02 Jun 2013
Worth it for the nostalgia of dial-up and a baffling Dave Chappelle cameo.
What did you do to Dave Chappelle? How dare you!
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Very sweet. Very romantic and well-cast. Enjoyable if you like romantic comedies. I liked it better than Sleepless in Seattle.
Rated 29 Apr 2016
W4E1P1S2V1M1A1R3. Has surprisingly become one of my favorite romcoms. Don't really know why.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Predictable but enjoyable Hanks/Ryan romance.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
A cute third-go-around for Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, back when people still had dial-up internet and America Online.
Rated 25 May 2013
I know some people that love this movie, but I just find it awkward, pointless, dated, and boring. There really is nothing else to say about it for me.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Liked at first, then saw the original :D
Rated 22 Jul 2017
Lame romantic comedy. So lame.
Rated 01 Dec 2015
B
Rated 30 Jun 2008
I had a better memory of this film, but I recently saw it again and found it so bogus.
Rated 16 Sep 2014
Not bad for this genre.
Rated 25 Dec 2013
this is a classic! meg ryan and tom hanks were probably one of the most adorable, lovable movie couples of all time - i've seen this movie a million times and it never fails to make me laugh and cry. a wonderfully feel good, romantic film that you'll never get sick of !
Rated 03 Nov 2011
Oh Tom Hanks!
Rated 19 May 2022
An avatar of capitalism destroys individuality/authenticity, but realizes it loves those things, and the only way it knows how to express that feeling is to play a sick game to manipulate them into willingly being subsumed by itself. Then 20 years later Capitalism 2.0 (Amazon), who doesn't even know how to pretend to have empathy, eats Capitalism 1.0 and vomits up its bones.
Rated 01 Apr 2024
Rated 13 Apr 2024
Rated 31 Oct 2008
It's a cute romance flick but i personally wouldnt say anything spectacular.
Rated 07 Jun 2011
This is on TV pretty much once a week and that doesn't help its rating at all.