Airplane!
Amazon VideoApple TVShowtime Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Airplane
Airplane

Airplane!

1980
An airplane crew takes ill. Surely the only person capable of landing the plane is an ex-pilot afraid to fly. But don't call him Shirley.
Franchise: Airplane

I don't think they make comedies like this anymore. The laughs never stop for a minute... if you didn't like the last joke, just wait, there's another one right around the corner. It's so jam-packed with gags that watching it today I caught a couple I'd never noticed before, even after seeing the movie at least a dozen times (probably closer to 30). Comedy perfection.
The quintessential spoof movie, full of hilarious gags and quotable lines, many of which no one would have the guts to do today.
Perfect. Falls in with Dumb & Dumber/The Naked Gun as a fantastic comedy, you can rewatch it countless times and catch something new to laugh at. Love it.
I can't keep track of how many times I've seen Airplane! For my money, no other film makes such effective use of cinema as a medium for comedy, and it's pretty helpful that the dialogue and wordplay are just as immaculate as its visual humor. It's one of the absolute best films ever made, and I think that opinion would be more widespread if critics didn't thumb their noses at movies where old women snort cocaine and little girls take their coffee black — like their men.
joey, have you ever rated a movie way too high for nostalgic reasons?

Submitted byriggsRIGGS on 22 Mar 2006