1970
Drama, War
"Patton" tells the tale of General George S. Patton, famous tank commander of World War II. The film begins with patton's career in North Africa and progresses through the invasion of Germany and the fall of the Third Reich. Side plots also speak of Patton's numerous faults such his temper and habit towards insubordination. Faults which would, eventually, lead to his being relieved as Occupation Commander of Germany. (imdb)
Franchise: Patton

It's an unfortunate fact that George C. Scott's performance, which is undeniably excellent, tends to overshadow the fact that Patton as a film manages to rise up to the same quality as his portrayal; it's one hell of a war movie, brilliantly chronicling one of the most charismatic and fascinating figures in 20th century American history in just under three hours, not feeling the need to rush along but never feeling slow. An excellent film.
George C. Scott's iconic portrayl of General George S. Patton alone makes this film a must see, especially the famous opening speech. I'm by no means a Patton historian but from what I've read this film perfectly captured the essence of Patton as a brilliant but flawed military leader. The closer shots of the battle scenes are honestly not that impressive but the long shots look terrifying and amazing at the same time. In the end this is a film about the man not battle footage.
One of the only movies to open with its encore.
I thought this one might be a chore to sit through, but it was pretty good (I admit I sped through most of the battle scenes). I don't know much about Patton, but the film was very even-handed and George C. Scott was charismatic and dominating in the role.
An interesting portrait of a fascinating bastard. Scott is simply on fire in the lead, and I liked how ambiguous the film makes both Patton and the 'glories' of war. And what a powerful opening!