Double Indemnity

Double Indemnity

1944

Rated 25 Jan 2010
Best script in the noir genre.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
Both the girls in this are so hot. What is it about 40s chicks
Rated 10 Jun 2019
One would think that any story that has an insurance/fraud scheme between two lovers at the heart of it needs one thing above all to succeed: A believable romance. That this film fails on that count but still remains thrilling from start to finish is testament to the near faultless script and stellar directing. Edward G Robinson is king here, despite his supporting actor role. A classic film noir with so many quotable lines.
Rated 23 May 2009
A cleverly written classic. Witty dialogue, great direction and perfect rhythm. Barbara Stanwyck is a classic as the alluring and diabolical Phyllis. Entertaining from start to finish.
Rated 27 Apr 2014
Still compelling and alluring today. Magnetic performances from all of the leads.
Almost perfect
Rated 22 Sep 2010
My favorite noir film. I've seen it a few times and enjoy something new every time.
Rated 04 Feb 2012
One of my all-time favorite films by one of the all-time greats: Billy Wilder. Double Indemnity is thee quintessential Film-Noir! Contains an amazing score by Polish composer Miklós Rózsa.
Rated 26 May 2020
Am I am missing something? It lacks the aura of what I expect of a classic noir film. The storyline is okay, but the performances except for Edward G Robinson are off the mark. So many lines fall flat, more a case of the delivery than the writing. The ambiguous nature of the characters that most seem to love for me is annoying and at worst distracting. Sure, Walter and Phyllis are out of their depth, but to what ends in terms of the story that is told? Not much, I would suggest.
Rated 13 Apr 2022
Note to myself: only rewatch if nothing else available.
Rated 22 Aug 2012
In my top five films ever.
Rated 20 May 2021
This film checks all the boxes, femme fatale, dark well-shot scenes in black & white, and superior acting.
Rated 10 Jan 2014
Might be the most memorable of the genre. 70 years later and you're still on the edge of your seat. That's an incredible achievement.
Rated 01 May 2012
Edward G. Robinson está impecável. Filmaço bem a frente do seu tempo
Rated 04 Jul 2019
Clearly serves as a well executed crime thriller, but I always stuck closer to The Big Sleep which traces the same fragments of narrative in a less linear, more abstract rumination.
Rated 28 Apr 2011
Long, drawn out film, very linear. Still powerful.
Rated 10 Oct 2010
edward g. robinson is a ton of fun in his snappish insurance inspector role. the protagonist and the femme fatale have great chemistry. it's a classic tale of how you can commit a crime, but you can't reap its benefits. only problem: the protagonist is boring as hell, and the implication of a strong relationship between him and robinson's character is only stated and not shown effectively.