Scrooged
Amazon VideoApple TVParamount+ Amazon ChannelParamount PlusParamount Plus Apple TV Channel Google Play Movies
Vudu
Microsoft Store
FlixFling
Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel

1988
Comedy, Fantasy
A cynically selfish TV executive gets haunted by three spirits bearing lessons on Christmas Eve.
Vudu
Microsoft Store
FlixFling
Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too dark to be a knockout comedy and juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too comedic to be a dark masterpiece. Plays like an excellent Death to Smoochy or a terrible In Bruges. But Christmas themed. An unearned classic that I admittedly watch with seasonal regularity.
An all star cast for this modern take on the Dickens tale I liked this one I also loved the special effects when Jacob Marley's ghost appeared to Frank Cross
The stellar cast makes this one of the more enjoyable renditions of the Dickens classic. Does it make sense that a world-class douchebag should suddenly be treated as a hero because of 10 minutes of spotlight-hogging Christmas cheer? Not really, but I consider that a convention of the genre. Misguided sentimentality is what Xmas is all about, after all.
As far as Christmas films go, this is in the top tier. Bill Murray is great, as usual. A great twist on an old classic, but Dickens probably still rolled over in his grave.
I sometimes feel that this film is a guilty pleasure, but I'm not sure that I should feel guilty about it. Murray has a ball in the quasi-Scrooge role, and Johansen and Kane prove to be inspired casting choices - genuinely entertaining. The many random cameos are entertaining, actually. The essence of Dickens is nicely conveyed, and I've found myself choking up a bit towards the end. It's by no means the best version of A Christmas Carol, but this is irreverent fun.

Submitted bybentley82bentley82 on 24 Mar 2006