1959
Crime
Antoine Doinel is a Parisian adolescent. His parents do not show much interest in him. He skips school to go to the movies and play with his friends. He discovers his mother has a lover (imdb)

1959
Crime

Rated 01 Mar 2007
Thoroughly engaging from start to finish, assisted by a series of dynamic and exciting shots, many of which are now canon, and also some gorgeous scenery. This isn't a great movie because it's especially deep or profound, or because it breaks cinematic ground. It's a great film because it tells a good story in a nearly flawless manner. All the elements come together just right.
Rated 21 Jan 2007
The sea at the end symbolizes his mom's vagina.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
This is a brutally honest portrayel of a young boy who is constantly getting into trouble. It's incredibly touching and intense as this boy goes from one problem to the other until he is finally out on his own and is finall free. An absolutely beautiful movie that is almost completely flawless. A true masterpiece.
Rated 22 Jan 2007
The first Truffaut film that I saw, and I was taken immediately. For a film about childhood it is unusually sincere, rejecting sentimental notions of nostalgia and other drivel. Instead, we are charmed by Antoine but recognize his flaws and vulnerabilities. He isn't free of guilt, but you can't help but sympathize with him. A delightful film to watch, a truly inspired and personal effort, and one of the greatest debuts in the history of cinema.
Rated 21 Jun 2010
François Truffaut my ASS!!! This movie is about a boy being sentenced to a youth facility and then escaping, boo - freaking - hoo - think that's tough? Listen here young man, try fighting dinosaurs, a killer robot from the future or even a speeding bus! All of the sudden the boys home isn't that bad is it? Get a haircut and a job you spoilled brat!
Beautiful vanguardist film. The last scene unfolds all the repressed feelings you create through the rest of the movie, and it's quite a pleasant feeling.
A touching and sad story about a troubled youth. I suppose by today's standards one could say it has some pacing problems and a slightly aimless story but I didn't find that at all. The relatively slow pace and wandering story perfectly capture the boy's life. Masterful film.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
One of the best films about childhood ever made. Heartwarming and heartbreaking.
Rated 01 Jul 2008
Truffaut's brilliant debut and one of the most important films to come out of the New Wave. Jean Pierre Leaud is perfectly cast and plays the role of Antoine so well. The ending is so great, love the sense of hopelessness. It really couldn't have ended any other way.
Rated 02 Feb 2007
There are many movies about troubled youth, but this is easily the best of the bunch.
Rated 31 May 2009
(after repeat viewings) Another coming-of-age film that - together with The Bicycle Thief and To Kill a Mockingbird - has stood the test of time. With each new viewing, though, it's hard to pick a favorite. Truffaut handles his story with both ease and grace as we follow Antoine through his troublesome childhood. The soundtrack is like music to my ears and the ending brilliantly reflects the state of solace Doinel's character has been seeking while emphasizing the uncertainty that lies ahead.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
I was shocked at how much I could still identify with this, having been an elementary school student some 35 years later. It wonderfully captures all of the confusion of youth, of having to go to school instead of dreaming or exploring. One of the greatest endings of all time.
Rated 23 Sep 2020
Growing up, I really wanted to see this film based on name alone. Rewatching it ten years later, I realized I had completely forgotten everything except for the ending shot. Because I am very smart, I noticed that Doinel's jacket is similar to Brando's in "On the Waterfront". You are welcome for this lil nugget.
Rated 30 Mar 2007
I hate to say it but I was bored stiff
Rated 12 Mar 2010
Léaud completely convinces as a rebellious youth who might be beyond saving. The scene where the entire family goes to the movies and things look like they might be on the mend gave me such hope for a positive upswing, but when things go south again it just makes a painful situation even more painful. Stop toying with my fragile emotions, Truffaut! The whole final act is heartbreaking and visually amazing.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
This film is such a work of modern art. Paralyzing, crushing and almost completely flawless.
Rated 17 May 2007
Pretty decent all around, but way, way overrated, the movie's central concern is with excusing young Antoine's petty crimes because society failed him and his mother doesn't love him. This may be autobiographical but it relies more heavily on thematic convention than on personal integrity. I definitely prefer Ken Loach's similarly themed Kes, released ten years later, a film that's realistic and devoid of cliche.
Rated 04 Nov 2009
This film doesn't stoop to doing things the easy way, it doesn't try to make you feel for Doinel, it just shows him to you and lets you decide. The camerawork is the real star of the movie though, it's simply phenomenal and every shot is a new wonder.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
"Three films a day, three books a week and records of great music would be enough to make me happy to the day I die." - François Truffaut
Rated 26 Mar 2018
Bunuel filminde toplumdaki alt kesimleri çok güzel analiz etmiş. Ancak eleştiri kısmı eksik kaldığını belirtmeden edemiyceğim. Bence Bunuel'in bu filminden çok daha iyi filmleri var. Los Olvidados'a puanım ancak 6 olabilir. Aaa pardon ya yanlış yere atmışım. Bu Los Olvidados'tan araklama versiyonu. Çok pardooon..
Rated 06 May 2008
The only reason this film should be remembered is for being the catalyst for many, many, many coming-of-age movies to come [Louis Malle being a filmmaker who brings something more intimate to me for this subgenre] and also the beginning of Truffaut films eclipsing a much greater artist of the French New Wave - Alain Resnais. I could have spent this review praising what I enjoyed about this film, but I'd rather name-drop something that matters to me.
Rated 12 Jan 2009
Truffaut sounds like a poison truffle but it's one god damned hell of a director!
Rated 18 Jul 2011
Touching, well-told story that unfortunately holds no appeal to me. Doinel is an extremely well-drawn character, but, to me, the movie is too understated and ultimately shallow for its "masterpiece" reputation.
Rated 24 Jun 2009
A good, but over-rated movie that is scripted and acted well. If the entire movie was shot like the scene where he finally gets taken away, this would be much better. The majority of the camera work is satisfactory, but not great. The acting was fairly decent, actually a couple notches above decent--and same goes for the music. With a more tightly written script, and some more daring, but calculated, camerawork it would have turned out much more enjoyable.
Rated 14 Feb 2013
Perhaps the most honest and compelling look at a child, his environment and the way he perceives it. It's filmed beautifully, still feels very unique and perfectly blends drama and lightheartedness.
Rated 14 Sep 2009
The perfect way to kick off the French new wave. It's not immediately groundbreaking, but it tells a realistic story very well.
Rated 28 Feb 2009
No film better captures the pointlessness of young rebellion. A boy simply trying to make sense of the world around him, clumsily causing trouble whever he goes. Not so much due to any particular malicious intent but mostly out of ignorance and ambivalent disrespect for social norms.
Rated 20 Apr 2022
Apparently this movie has a Reputation. Somewhat overrated, but stands the test of time pretty well.
Rated 17 Dec 2012
François Truffaut's affecting chronicle about the coming of age of Antoine Doinel is a must-see.
Rated 28 Oct 2009
What's that in Doinel's pocket? Why, it's my heart, which he stole so guilelessly from me.
Rated 08 May 2007
Mayis 07 (2) & Truffaut'un basyapiti, bugune kadar izledigim en iyi film. 3.izleyis: 28 Nisan 09. 00:20am. -bitis- 4. izleyis; kasim 12, zevahir.
Rated 19 Apr 2009
A beautiful and sensitive film, without being very sentimental. The childhood has a happy and sweet side, but also sad and bitter side. The world can be very hard with a child. It's funny the irony with the maximum three of the French Revolution: Liberty, Equality, Fraternity...
Rated 29 Nov 2010
A film not only about trying to break free; but also of seeing reality for the first time, captured in the stark innocence of youth. Honest, sensitive, innocent, often carefree, but always realistic & without need for exaggeration or visual flattery. Captured with Truffaut's beautiful, expressive B & W cinematography.
Rated 26 Apr 2008
A charming film, both cheerful and poignant in its infectious temper. The recurrent music enforce the appetizing sentimentality already slightly present in the tender images, and Truffaut display a compassionate attitude towards his colourful characters throughout the film. It's simply a pleasure to watch.
Rated 31 Jul 2008
An amazing, honest film that sucks you in from the very beginning. It feels much like reading a novel, actually.
Rated 12 Jun 2009
I didn't think much of it after seeing it. But now, few days after viewing, I still have this haunting image of Antoine looking piercingly into the camera. And it made me realise what a beauty this is. So honest, sensitive, serene and calming. ... Very much the masterpiece it is said to be.
Truffaut and Leaud have created an amazing character in Antoine Doinel - rebellious yet delicate, proud yet sensitive, dishonest but imaginative. This is the best Doinel film, but it's definitely worth seeing the others (I think Stolen Kisses and Bed and Board are also amazing, Love on the Run is very good but not really of the same caliber).
Rated 30 Jan 2011
3 Shaqtaculars
Rated 14 Apr 2012
Film buffs are going to have to forgive me here, because I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the praise for this film. It was quite charming and it wasn't boring or anything. And it was technically good. I just don't get what's so great about it. Maybe I've seen too many coming-of-age films for an early one like this to be truly effective. Yeah, I don't know. I really wanted to like it and connect with it. I just didn't.
Truffaut aptly captures the confusion and desperation of youth. It is a slow realization of the perpetually waning ability to dream, and that true freedom can be a difficult yet fulfilling path.
Rated 09 Mar 2018
Naturalistic and with some sociological impact. But, it is not enjoyable or intriguing.
Rated 07 Sep 2010
A joyful portrayal of youth misbehaviour and presents one of my favourite themes; how children's failures stem from the adults around them. The ending is a killer, it's so appropriate and technically audacious.
Rated 22 Apr 2015
Realistic yet forcefully stylised. Builds on the strong neorealist foundation while adding some well thought out magic & poetry. Amazing performances from everyone and the style is endlessly inventive. Like the title suggest, there are countless fun details everywhere yet the rambling narrative retains a strong emotional flow. Loses some of the purity of say Bicycle Thieves, but is so vibrant and dynamic, it's hard to see it as a flaw.
Rated 27 Dec 2021
It's impossible to say anything new about 400 Blows. It has been written about and referenced extensively, and Léaud's performance is among the best of its kind in the entire history of cinema. Then you have the infamous finale, which remains startling in execution, suggestion and meaning. Truffaut was perhaps a greater humanist than artist, but 400 Blows makes a legitimate case for his directorial greatness, revealing the depths of his compassion and insight into the human condition.
Rated 23 Jun 2008
The 400 Blows is absolutely amazing. I, and I'm sure countless others, can relate to Antoine. It is such a subtle film with such a harsh and unpleasant story. Truffaut really loves his characters, the development of characters in this and Jules et Jim are some of the best I've ever seen. I reccomend this film to everybody, especially those who believe they are always picked on by family, or teachers, it is something you can easily relate to. God Bless You Truffaut.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
A movie about juvenile delinquency without moralizing. A coming of age tale with no nostalgia. Stunning camera work with almost no condescending bombast. Really, it's about as good as you can get in a teen movie (stop punching me in the nuts for calling 400 Blows a teen movie, I meant that it's about a teen).
Rated 13 Nov 2010
Antoine Doinel is such a good character; he's not a good kid at all but you still feel for him when he gets into trouble. The movie is great at showing you the ups and downs in his life, and the ending is spectacular.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
Truffaut's best film (followed closely by The Soft Skin). Everything about it just so gritty and real and...perfect. A touchstone of the New Wave--that informal real-life everyday intimacy. I loved the plot to swipe the typewriter--him seeing his mom kissing a guy (while he's truant)--that stupid classroom and the Balzac shrine that starts a fire and the stupid reform school (with the handslapper guy).
Rated 13 Oct 2015
Unlike most movies that would tackle the subject, it really feels like at any point, things could go either way for Antoine. You never know how things are going to shake out until they do. Some particular standouts for me were the jogging scene and Antoine's interview with the psych. Damn it's great to see a movie like this when it actually lives up to the acclaim.
Rated 18 Jan 2009
a great film in many respects, but ultimately i didn't feel as close to antoine as i should've...
Rated 23 Oct 2013
Nowadays we make movies about the mental issues that this boy might have (à la It's Kind of a Funny Story or Perks of Being a Wallflower) and somehow that strips a bit of the humanity away from it all. This is just simply the happenings of a troubled boy rather than a string of humorous events leading us to a cathartic lesson that none of us need. Amanda Bynes might need it. But that's where I draw the common sense line.
Rated 05 May 2015
Breaking free, into despair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4jGNoag_1g
Rated 08 Oct 2010
Such a relatable coming-of-age story, full of sympathetic characters, realistic dialogue, and insight into the mind of neglected and troubled youths. It carries a great deal of emotional weight without ever feeling forced or manipulative. The ending is perfect.
Rated 14 Apr 2007
Great film.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
Maybe I just don't enjoy movies about angsty boys as much as some.
Rated 01 Jul 2019
never taken much to Truffaut.
Rated 22 Mar 2009
Truffaut has a lot of fun with everything in the film. Definitely an inspiration to pretty much every film made since it was released and definitely a one-of-a-kind movie. Slow, though.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Interesting to hear that this was inspired by a Sesame St Monsterpiece Theatre sketch. It could've reached poignancy if it was more poignant.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
This is my favorite film of all time.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 48
Rated 15 Nov 2018
The childhood whimsy in the first half of the film is set against a dreary and at times melancholy realist depiction of Paris. Then suddenly, our final glimpse of Paris, as Doinel leaves the city and his innocence behind, is accompanied by a swooning score and the first truly romantic shot of the city. The final act of the film then opens up into beautiful expansive shots of the countryside, culminating in a breathtaking tracking shot at the very end. Masterful filmmaking.
Rated 08 Dec 2013
Much like several other cherished neorealist masterpieces, I found "Les quatre cents coups" overall solid but somewhat uninvolving. There's no doubt that Truffaut's craft is admirable, as is Leaud's totally natural performance. And yet, despite a few nice emotional moments (the interview with the psychologist comes in mind) and an overall intriguing depiction of childhood's hardships, the film never crawled under my skin or got me seriously invested in any of the characters' fates.
Rated 01 Jul 2009
A beautiful movie, nuanced and emotionally powerful.
Rated 05 Oct 2013
Beautiful movie about a boy who doesn't really have much going for him. Simultaneously hilarious and deeply tragic. The groundbreaking camera work puts us right in the thick of the action, leaving us to momentarily lose ourselves in a regained adolescence.
Rated 01 Oct 2012
Affecting, low-key drama packs a robust emotional punch, thanks to Truffaut's stripped down, unsentimental approach, and a seemingly effortless, charismatic central performance from Leaud. The film's place at the start of the French New Wave should be acknowledged, but it's also notable for its realistic depiction of the life of a troubled pre-teen, a demographic largely simplified and overlooked in pre-60s Hollywood films. Stark, B&W widescreen photography also a definite plus.
Rated 08 Mar 2020
Rated 18 Jan 2018
seni seviyorum antoine doinel
Rated 21 Dec 2011
Les quatre cents coups is graceful, pure, and unrestrained in ways that modern films have great difficulty replicating. It's a story of profound alienation and existential suffering. It's about the simple things in life and wanting to revolt against society, authority, and all the chains that bind us. It's about wanting to be free. It's beautiful, touching, and très poétique.
Rated 28 Apr 2015
A Parisian who seems to collect/hoard trouble Oppositional
Rated 23 Dec 2008
A great watch, yet dated in some respects, such as the use of fades in the editing, and I get the feeling that Truffaut is simply using this film as a learning experience for himself. The use of restless adolescence as the storyline was a smart choice, as it allows the plot to be timeless and relatable. The last few shots and the ending are incredible.
Rated 25 Oct 2009
Honest and real. I love how plotless and meandering it is, an accurate depiction of what it's like to be a kid and just not realize how much the world requires from us all, so you can play hooky if you want to and then excuse yourself for missing school by pretending your mother is dead. There's a lightness to Truffaut's touch, a sympathy and understanding of Antoine Doinel that makes the film all the more powerful. (two times)
Rated 17 Dec 2010
Still one of the great works of the New Wave, the 400 Blows works primarily because of spots of humour (no idealized past here, kids call each other assholes and do awful things to each other), and the fact that the film is not only honest about the troubles of Truffaut, but obviously the troubles that Jean-Pierre Leaud had at the time. Brutally honest, and although I find the ending shot too cliche in retrospect, the rest of the ending is brilliant and so is the film. Score is not a grade.
Rated 10 Sep 2016
The story might be a bit directionless and implausible, but the film is redeemed by Truffaut's good eye for the camera and a good performance by the lead child actor.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 46
Rated 13 Mar 2011
The very finest Truffaut film. The picture of the character was well developed. The end was a bit surprising and we knew about him more with the last speech.
Rated 10 Dec 2017
Áries.
Rated 26 Sep 2012
The main character is great, but poor editing and general aimlessness bothered me a bit.
Rated 15 Sep 2011
I can definitely agree that the ending was fantastic, and that it's a well made film. Antoine was played perfectly, and he WAS a really interesting character. This is dark, but kind of comical too, but I wouldn't say I'm gushing over it like a lot of other people are. I still think it's a great film, and it's maybe even blasphemy I'm not even rating it a 90, but I have to be honest. It didn't grip me as much as it should have, but it's still a wonderful movie, deserving of its praise.
Rated 18 Dec 2008
It raises some good questions and it's a interesting movie.
Rated 01 Nov 2011
one ofe my fav
Rated 13 Feb 2011
At times very poignant and at times just realist and a little boring. Antoine Doinel's struggle against the injustices of an adult-controlled world is certainly one of the most iconic and memorable plights of cinema's anti-heroes. The idea has been done better since, but Truffaut's version is technically strong and possesses an emotional resonance which is almost enough to make it a classic.
Rated 17 Dec 2010
Classic of French New Wave. You will love following misunderstood Antoine on his adventures in rebellion.
Rated 01 Jul 2009
Chalk this up there as one of the greatest first films for a director of all time.
Rated 27 May 2011
The aesthetics of the film are oddly good in a sort of minimalistic way. Truffaut rarely breaks his cold realism and gives us real poetic glances into Antoine's world. There's something about these short rare glances, but eventually I felt kind of unsatisfied.
Rated 16 Sep 2011
Hmm.... I didn't know the first thing about this film going into it. Not even that it was about a child. I found it to be a true telling of childhood and poverty, but to be perfectly honest I didn't find it to be a very pleasurable watch. I'm not even sure if I could pick a "favourite part." This film is both well conceived and well executed, but if it wasn't a Truffaut picture I would kind of consider it forgettable.
Rated 05 Nov 2012
Making every adult in the film a total idiot makes the commentary feel forced and false. This monorail of emotion takes you back into a childhood that only exists in melodramatic movies. A single tear is shed, but Antoine never loses his cool.
Rated 20 May 2013
kommer inte ihåg så mycket av den.
Rated 31 Oct 2018
Very powerful - the scene of him being taken away in car is especially powerful
Rated 02 Jul 2009
I was really surprised with this movie. This movie is hard for me to review. It was great. The story and characters were really interesting. The direction and photography were great. The acting was really good, and could have screwed everything up. There are a few scenes that the main actor nailed that could have ruined the entire film.
Rated 28 Sep 2011
Pure sociopathic fun. Emotions has no presence on this movie, they appear and strike you with their might only in the last scene, while getting closer to the sea. Though, that's not the point.
Maybe I'm a bad film buff, but I just found this movie boring. The long run at the end just went on forever.
Rated 13 Jul 2019
For Truffaut to (co)write and direct such a personal story and for it to become one of the most prominent films of a cinematic movement is interesting enough. When you layer that with the beauty and agony of the story itself and its superb direction and impeccable ending sequence, it's a film that begs to seen again and again.
Rated 10 Jun 2012
Not only does this film examine the oppressive nature of society via state and parental authority, but also the despondency and neglectful treatment that an unwanted child suffers. Antoine is severely misunderstood and the message of the film goes to show you the existential crisis of a child whose parents' and educators have an unrelenting lack of empathy. An unforgettable highlight of French New Wave. It deserves a notably valuable position in the history of cinema.
Rated 17 Oct 2018
Antoine Doinel: "Oh, I lie now and then, I suppose. Sometimes I'd tell them the truth and they still wouldn't believe me, so I prefer to lie."
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Perhaps the best example of what I guess should be called Truffaut's humanism. Re-watched 3 August 2020.
Rated 09 Aug 2013
Don't understand what the fuzz is all about. - Okay.
Rated 15 Feb 2012
Need to rewatch.
Rated 19 Aug 2012
great camera work to reflect the life of this troubled kid... the final run and reaching the sea is amazing
Rated 20 Apr 2009
"...it informs everything we know today about watching movies."