1989
Drama, Family/Kids
"If you build it, he will come." With thes words, Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella (Costner) is inspired by a voice he can't ignore to pursue a dream he can hardly believe. Supported by his wife Annie (Madigan), Ray begins the quest by turning his ordinary cornfield into a place where dreams can come true. Along the way he meets reclusive activist Terence Mann (Jones), the mysterious "Doc" Graham (Lancaster), and even the legendary "Shoeless Joe" Jackson (Liotta). (Universal)
Directed by:
Written by:
Starring:
Country:
Language:

1989
Drama, Family/Kids

Rated 14 Aug 2011
Like a Stephen King-written love letter to baseball.
Rated 22 Jun 2019
Watching this on the jumbotron, inside a MLB stadium, after a game, the day before Father's Day, was a bit of a unique experience for my first time seeing this classic baseball movie. Although my father, instead of watching this slightly underwhelming, yet oddly endearing schmaltz with me, went out with his new girlfriend. But it's cool, in 20 years I'll just build a baseball field in the middle of Iowa so I can have a catch with his ghost. That'll make up for the lack of our relationship.
Rated 24 Oct 2011
So you thought the synopsis for 'Star Trek iV: The Voyage Home' had got to be the craziest in history to ever get the green light? Well, I'll take time travelling whales over this non-sensical, sentimental bullshit any day of the week! How something like this receives rating colors other than reds, I cannot begin to comprehend.
Rated 13 May 2012
"People will come." It's one of the best (if somewhat overly self-important) speeches in movie history. Baseball puts me to sleep faster than listening to your work stories, but I still love this movie. Plus a Ray Liotta ghost!
Rated 18 Dec 2017
So close to having a Ty Cobb makes the Terrence Mann character super uncomfortable scene. I find baseball really boring but I eat up baseball lore because I enjoy Kevin Costner the actor come fight me
Rated 06 Apr 2018
There's something special about this kind of unflinching, no room for doubt-80s cinema. It's weird in all sorts of ways, and I'm not sure if it even means all that much. But man, did I like it.
Rated 23 Jul 2020
I had a lot of time for this. A pleasant, magical little tale with a nice vein of feel-goodness, and the added bonus of James Earl Jones. I might have gripes, but I have little interest in exploring them. Nice.
Rated 03 Oct 2010
A well made film, but one's whose syrupy feel good message gets really tiresome. The film constantly acknowledges it's own fantasy, but in a way that just makes it more ridiculous. It still got to me at times, and maybe without Madigan's annoying laugh I might have left with an overall positive impression.
Rated 01 May 2020
Everyone talks about how it transcends sports but I just see a fanservice feel good sports movie with idealized rural dynamics. Probably speaks more to people with love for baseball and unresolved feelings toward their fathers. You know what's happening and what's going to happen as far as emotional moments go. I like time travel and literary characters. Fav scenes: pandering town hall speech by the wife, who really doesn't do much here except stand by her man; JEJ being kidnapped.
I don't care how manly you are, if you don't tear up at least a half-dozen times during this flick you've got no soul. It's about baseball, it's about fathers and sons, it's about redemption...Kevin Costner at his wide-eyed best as the simple farmer caught up in something he can't understand (and Ray Liotta as effective and understated as he's been).
Just beautiful. I don't care about baseball AT ALL and I usually hate Kevin Costner. But this movie is magical fantasy.
Rated 08 Feb 2008
Man, this one goes right for the heartstrings. I know I'm being manipulated with nostalgia the whole time, but I just don't care. It's genuinely moving and the ending gets me every time without fail.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
An A-budget fantasy that has a religious approach to baseball(!!!) and that makes up the "rules" as it goes along really shouldn't work, but it does, and brilliantly. One of the most unique films of its kind ever made, which is all the stranger noting the star cast
The rare movie that's melodramatic and manipulative, and you know it the whole time, but damn if it works and you just don't care. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball.
Rated 25 Mar 2008
This is a great film, some may only say it's good but I, on the other hand, say it's great. I don't know about everyone else but I find the plot device of no one believe another person's extraordinary events really annoying. This, however, has a nice mix of people believing and not. I loved the surreal touch to the film and Costner and James Earl Jones are both fantastic. Really I don't even like baseball but this is a great film.
Rated 17 May 2008
the kind of movie that no one can resist. it contains one of the most famous quotes that will ever be recorded, it can be a bit slow at times but does not fail to stun and shock you in its beauty.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
What mixes better than God, baseball, Kevin Costner, and a message of relentless optimism? Most other things.
Rated 08 Nov 2010
Watch it if you like The Blind Side, i.e. you like very bad films.
Rated 11 Aug 2011
This is the dumbest movie I have ever seen in my life.
Rated 20 Aug 2011
I don't care for baseball, in fact I find the sport fairly boring, so admittedly the premise for this movie, was lost on me from the get-go. That being said: This has GOT to be the most stupid metaphor ever told.
Rated 16 Feb 2014
Ok, so Robin Hood and Darth Vader are driving through Idaho and they pick up Robbie Kreiger. I forget the middle part but the punch line is "No... I am your father".
Rated 31 Mar 2017
If you take a step back and really think about it, this is one of the weirdest premises for a movie. It does somehow work though, and much better than a lot of other fantasy family movies. I watched this like 30 times as a kid because I only had about 10 VHS options available to me at home.
Schmaltzy and weak drama/fantasy about dead baseball players or something. Costner is not a good actor.
Although it is a terrific film, even with Kevin Costner, I found this hard to watch a second time. It's a great story with an interesting mix of real and surreal, and it's full of many incredible performances, but you can't get a whole lot out of multiple viewings. Really good!
Aside from Ray Liotta swinging the bat from the wrong side (Shoeless Joe was a lefty at the plate), I don't really have many gripes with Field of Dreams. It's a cool journey with a good supporting cast, and a last 15 or so minutes that usually leave me choked up or in tears.
A totally uplifting pic, but its not cheap emotion.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
"They'll come to Iowa, and they'll get bored."
Rated 23 Sep 2008
My favourite baseball movie. Costner and baseball, what an alliance. He did so many baseball movies, but this is the best.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
PITCH: A man builds a baseball pitch in his garden for ghosts.
Rated 07 Feb 2009
This is obviously a great movie and has been known as one for a long time. I am a huge basebal fan which made this movie even better, but someone would not have to know anything about baseball to love this movie. It envokes family unity as well as personal accomplishment. This is a very uplifting movie that everyone should see at least once. I give it only an 85 simply because its slow at some points and for the yonger generations it may seem to drag on. Still a great movie.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Or "The Story of How Darth Vader Saved Baseball."
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Once again proving men are sentimental shmucks when it comes to sport.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
It's incredible how much Kevin Costner likes Baseball. For him, unfortunatelly, I don't...
Rated 13 Aug 2009
A far stranger and better film then I though it would be going in.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
I don't care if it's overly sentimental and obvious, I love baseball and the place it has (or used ot have) in America.
Rated 06 Jan 2011
So a baseball-obsessed farmer with obnoxious hippyish tendencies decides to destroy his crops and build a baseball field so ghosts can play there. Pretty standard movie.
Rated 03 Aug 2011
OK, so wait, the ghost baseball rookie steps over the rocks, becomes a ghost doctor and revives the little girl with a slap on the back? seriously? Then, they all forget about the fact that the brother-in-law nearly killed their daughter?
Rated 03 Jun 2013
I watched this movie for a date once. Was the girls idea. She stood up the whole movie, refusing to sit down anywhere. Only a bit awkward, but ruined the rating of this movie for me.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
If the first act were not so dreadfully slow, it would be ranked among the best baseball films. It has a lot of heart and takes some risks with its boilerplate premise.
Rated 13 Aug 2019
Utterly charming and captivating fantasy shouldn't work as well as it does (especially for someone in whom baseball holds no sentimental appeal) but the sincerity and utterly straight acceptance of what's a fairly outlandish idea sells the Capraesque fantasy perfectly (we also get a Jimmy Stewart shout-out as if there was any doubt!). Costner is perfectly warm and stoic here, matched by some of Jones' best work and a lovely cameo from Lancaster. Touching, moving and even profoundly spiritual.
Rated 07 Apr 2020
On my first ever trip to America, my American cousin took me to watch a local baseball game. He was trying to explain the rules to me and I didn't understand shit. After the game, he introduced me to one of the players, big guy and told him "this is my cousin, he's from Europe, so he doesn't like baseball". Then big guy turned to me all puzzled and said "What do you mean you don't like no baseball? Are you a communist???" That line cracks me up every time I think of it.
Rated 28 Jul 2020
Field of Dreams isn't flawless, but it is certainly a classic and full of genuineness.
Rated 31 May 2022
I think you probably had to either see this as a kid or love baseball (and ideally both) to actually appreciate it. Seeing this pop up in Ray Liotta obits made me finally get around to seeing it, and I just did not find much to hang onto.
Overrated, but still a good movie. It ends too abrubtly for my tastes though.
Rated 13 Jan 2007
Boring, Boring, zzzz.
Rated 20 Feb 2007
Pretty good, even if it is corny.
Rated 21 Feb 2007
Good film.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
An innocent mix of fantasy and baseball, featuring the awesome James Earl Jones, the haunting Ray Liotta, the piercing annoyance of Amy Madigan, and the ever perplexing competence of Kevin Costner.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
A movie about the love of baseball and it's past. Kevin Costner shines and truly sells the love of the game.
Rated 26 May 2007
Build it!
Rated 04 Jun 2007
very sharp and inspiring
Rated 08 Jul 2007
Costner isn't the highlight of the movie but the story is. James Earl Jones does a fine job as the disgruntled retired hippy activist, and the scenes on the ball field frequently brought me to near tears.
Rated 13 Jul 2007
A great baseball movie.
Rated 18 Jul 2007
Really good from what I remember. Kevin Costner in his hey-day.
A weird concept that turns out to be a heart warming story.
George W. Bush's favorite movie!
underrated nowadays but truly beautiful perfect film.
I hate baseball, but this movie is pretty good.
Another sports movie that fails.
A lovely, emotional, and magical movie about second chances.
In my opinion, the greatest film ever made.
Really, this is just a silly movie with a dumb premise and sometimes bad writing but it does pull you in at certain moments for some reason
It can me a little manipulative, tis true; but after this movie you won't be blue. It can be said that the field is not all that's made of corn; this is a fine movie of a son's love forlorn. "If you build it, he wil come", say the voices in Ray's head; but who would have guessed, allthe players in the field were dead. Costner, Liottam and Jone are masterful; my poetry, sadlt is pitiful.
I don't get this movie.
THE greatest baseball movie ever made. Some great quotes and what a great story. One of the few movies that is immensely better than the book.
For me, this fits in the odd category of movies that I neither like nor hate, but don't mind watching at all. The "fast food" equivalent for cinema, I guess.
Bad movie, good nostalgia.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
Another feel good sports movies. This one just didn't do it for me. Then again, I'm not much for baseball.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Very good drama
Rated 23 Sep 2007
A solid film with a decent cast, but a few moments in the movie become a little too weird.
Rated 21 Oct 2007
The red-blooded male equivalent of a romantic drama. A touch of magic.
Rated 23 Nov 2007
I can watch this movie over and over again. This movie is for a baseball lovers.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Now Kevin Costner has been associated with a few films that really stink (Remember waterworld?) but this is most certainly not one of them. Quirky and unlikely storyline that becomes magical and touching without being schmaltzy and sentimental.
Rated 15 Jan 2008
A classic feel-good slice of Americana. I don't even like baseball, but I can appreciate the theme.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
Many find "Field of Dreams" overrated, but I am a fan.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
A timeless baseball Classic. One of my all-time favorites.
Rated 07 Feb 2008
Can't deny that this is a great movie, baseball fan or not.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
Great baseball movie. Go the distance. Makes me want to take a vacation in Iowa, just once.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
This is the perfect baseball movie, and it is hardly about baseball. It's about fathers and sons. It's my dad's favorite movie, and so it became one of mine as well.
Rated 29 May 2008
ok
Rated 02 Jun 2008
I've actually seen worse films than this.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
It's a lame movie. If Costner hadn't been at the height of his popularity, this movie would've gone no where.
Rated 11 Jun 2008
No, they won't.
Rated 28 Jun 2008
Great movie about life, baseball, etc... Gotta love James Earl Jones.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
just for lancaster
Rated 03 Jul 2008
Up to what it is a moving story, it would to me better if it was not so illogical.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Pretty enjoyable film. Feels a bit too sappy at times, but never for long. Great family movie.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
I could watch this film all day. Costner and Jones are mesmerizing and sympathetic, and the story is one of redemption and anything-is-possible mentality. Fabulous flick.
Rated 07 Aug 2008
If you build it will come. I just wished they'd built it somewhere else
Rated 09 Aug 2008
Corn is, of course, kind of oracular and often just plain creepy. Is there a list of corn movies somewhere? Should be.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
Costner prøver igen...
Rated 07 Jan 2009
My favorite baseball movie, definitely captured my imagination as a kid.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
A classic, loved the nostalgic tie to baseball.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
It's ok to cry like a little bitch at the end.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
I don't even like baseball but this is a heartwarming movie.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Fantastic story about life, decisions made, not made. Lancaster is wonderful in his supporting role. Highly recommended!
Rated 22 Mar 2009
A classic sports movie that is one of the best of the genre.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
A gentle fantasy with the power to charm.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Watchable fantasy melodrama. Bit sickly for me.
Rated 10 Aug 2009
A good story with quality acting and a handful of moving scenes. There are many silly ones too and the child actor is once again very irritating.

Directed by: