Pitch Perfect
Pitch-Perfect

Pitch Perfect

2012
Romance, Comedy
Beca, a freshman at Barton University, is cajoled into joining The Bellas, her school's all-girls singing group. Injecting some much needed energy into their repertoire, The Bellas take on their male rivals in a campus competition. (imdb)
Franchise: Pitch Perfect
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

This is probably the girliest shit I'll ever profess to liking. It's cheesy, generic, predictable and stupid. I mean. Just look at the tagline: "Get pitch slapped". Really? But the a cappella. Goddammit, the a cappella!
Definitely not my cup of tea - I'm too much of a straight male, I suppose - but not intolerable if your other half insists on it. Anna Kendrick is appealing as always, and Rebel Wilson does her damndest to convince us she's the next Melissa McCarthy, but we've seen this story done a million times before, and a lot of the humor feels forced and awkward. Also, "I don't like movies" apparently counts as character development.
Pure, unadulterated piece of pop culture that I wouldn't call great by any stretch. But it's decent and satisfying and has a certain fizz. Kinda like soda.
It's basically Glee in college with Anna Kendrick - and that turns out to be pretty ok! I give credit to a few pretty enjoyable musical sequences and screenwriter Kay Cannon (of 30 Rock fame), who brings a lot of high-energy madcap cartoonishness to an ultra-generic underdog story framework.
How far can Anna Kendrick carry a film filled with stupid jokes and stereotypes and a mixed bag of music? It seems the answer is, pretty far. It's still a very messy film with hardly any hint of originality, but it manages to be enjoyable enough.

27 Collections including 16 Collaborative and 11 Public