1994
Crime
Andy Dufresne is a young and successful banker whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover. Set in the 1940's, the film shows how Andy, with the help of his friend Red, the prison entrepreneur, turns out to be a most unconventional prisoner. (imdb)

1994
Crime

Rated 12 Mar 2011
Such a great journey.
Rated 22 Nov 2017
My 2nd favorite movie based on a Stephen King story. Brilliant acting, writing, and story. Morgan Freeman plays a redheaded Irish inmate named "Red", while never having red hair throughout the entire movie. That should tell what a great actor he is.
one of my favorite movies of all time
i honestly cannot come up with a single thing that i dislike about this film. i hesistate to give it a 100, but when you can find no personal fault in a film, might as well swing for the fence. one of the greatest films ever.
Rated 04 Jan 2012
I could watch this movie once a day, every day, for the next twelve years and not get sick of it. It amazes me that his got absolutely no recognition with the Academy. One of the few movies I can call "perfect" without questioning.
Rated 01 Aug 2018
An earthy and interesting film, the Shawshank Redemption is an excellent watch, but by no means worthy of a 100, or being one of the best films ever produced. The characters are a believable and the dialogue is well-written.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Unbelievably bad. Why am I soulless for hating this movie? Ask yourself, if you're not a right-wing hick who supports capital punishment, or at the very least the concept of prison as punishment, how is this life affirming for you? It's telling you what you yourself feel in your heart. Its depiction of prison is glorious, and I would choose to go on holiday there. Cakes are baked, books are read, and everything's hum-diddly-dum. Its popularity proves that it is an opiate of the retarded.
Rated 18 May 2019
'The Shawshank Redemption' is an amazing story that hits every single emotional beat, pulling audiences heartstrings and ultimately telling a story of hope. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman outdo themselves in this movie. Even years on, this movie stand the test of time.
Rated 21 Feb 2011
The best cinematic debut before or since, this film is a veritable mountain of hardship, friendship and [hum!] redemption in the face of adversity. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are now the classic male screen couple, and so they should be; their friendship is so heart warming and subtly realised that the audience finds themselves utterly immersed in the world of the film with 10 minutes of the opening. Frank Darabont should be beatified in the Church of Cinema for this, his great achievement!
Rated 24 Apr 2007
great
Rated 15 Dec 2010
Masterpiece. I used to watch this constantly.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
This is one of the best made movies. The movie is essentially just about 2 friends, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Just watch it, and I am sure you would not be disappointed.
Rated 29 Jul 2010
The Shawshank Redemption is no doubt in my mind one of my favorite movies I have ever seen in my life, and in my opinion one of the greatest films in history. It is an unforgettable movie, filled with unforgettable characters, that are played by fantastic actors. Tim Robbins delivers one of the best performances of his career, and was probably deserving of an oscar nomination. Along with Morgan Freeman as well. Overall this is a phenomenal movie, and is probably Frank Darabont's masterpiece.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
That tall drink of water with the silver spoon up his ass.
Rated 28 Nov 2010
An all time great. Disappointing lack of rape considering the majority of the movie is based in a prison.
Rated 10 Dec 2011
If you don't love Shawshank, chances are you're beyond redemption.
Wrongly convicted of killing his wife and her lover, Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sent to shawshank prison. Throughout the film Frank Darabont spins the tale of Andy's long imprisonment and eventual escape, in the process, impacting the lives of his fellow inmates and leaving the guards and wardon to reap what they sew.
Rated 21 Nov 2010
1994 was the year when films made heavy competition on which was the best movie. Compared to Forrest Gump, I personally think this film had as much good quality of a movie as some other movies released in '94. The Shawshank Redemption is one of those movies that emphasize the goodness of life: friendship. The story was great (Thank you Stephen King), all the actors were terrific, Thomas Newman's composure of music in the film was touching beyond words... it's a must have.
Rated 18 Aug 2015
Sparked the "Morgan Freeman narrating everything" revolution.
Rated 24 Oct 2010
Overly sentimental male version of a chick-flick. Well made, but eh.
Rated 07 Mar 2016
Unoriginal and overly sentimental.
Rated 10 Sep 2007
Over rated.
Rated 22 Dec 2018
I loved every part of this film except for the ending. It went on for way too long and while each ending was important it left me feeling a little less satisfied than I felt after the first ending. It was reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings trilogy ending, which almost deserved its 20 minute ending because of its length and complexity. However, this film didn't really need it all.
Rated 19 Jul 2020
I mean, it still has its flaws.
Rated 15 Nov 2010
My favorite movie of all time. Great story, powerful imagery and score, the remarkable acting of Morgan Freeman. A twisty surprise ending to surpass all others. It shows the horrors and tedious pace of prison but it doesn't drag the story into the depths. If you don't love this movie then I wonder if you have ever experienced redemption.
Rated 01 Apr 2009
Can't believe went so long with out seeing this film. Gives you hope.
One of the most complete and satisfying films ever made.
Rated 11 Jan 2009
I feel this film has the most feel good ending ever projected to a screen. I seriously almost tear up every time i see it.
Rated 01 Feb 2009
awesome ending
Rated 22 Feb 2007
I didn't realise Morgan Freeman wasn't actually a ginger Irishman until I checked his imdb profile after watching the movie, that's how good an actor he is.
Rated 16 Mar 2012
Another one of the great films.
Rated 07 Nov 2016
Unfairly sentenced for murder, Andy is sent to Shawshank prison, where he will become friends with some of the inmates. Trailer: https://youtu.be/EZ-zFwuR0FY
Rated 11 Feb 2009
una GRAN pelicula
Rated 27 Jun 2008
really great movie, great story with nice cast and performance.
Rated 11 Mar 2018
One of the best films ever made. It makes me happy everytime.
Rated 29 Oct 2011
Went into this thinking it would be one of my new favourite films. It was well done just not my shtick.
Rated 21 Nov 2009
Good but nowhere near as good as some people would put this. inspirational but too close too cheesy.
Rated 12 Dec 2011
Love the story line
Rated 26 Feb 2008
Great movie, gets better each time you see it
Rated 10 Jun 2017
i know this movie was made when i was 1 year old haha, but i just saw this movie about a year ago! i mean this movie is soo great! im speechless, the way the creator made this movie, at first im not really interested in this movie, but i try to watch, and in the end, this movie always in my head, long-lasting in my head
Rated 03 May 2008
one of the all-time greats!
Rated 28 Dec 2007
Pretty darn solid, but didn't evoke a strong reaction from me. Good story, though.
Rated 27 Jan 2009
best stephen king adaptation
Rated 12 Oct 2007
An instant classic. Epic quality of human condition comes with the full package including tragedy, hope-lessness, friendship, corruption, solidarity, institutionalization, class, power, gender and so on. Women illuminate the only way towards redemption in this men's world/hell, either mentally (lady singing Marriage of Figaro from the speakers) or physically (Rita, Marilyn and Raquel in Andy Dufresne's cell). Nice touch.
Rated 30 Oct 2007
Classic.
Rated 27 Mar 2017
I feel like this is the best movie I have ever watched. You are constantly are rooting for Andy through the entire film.
Rated 11 May 2009
Strong performances by Freeman, Robbins and a host of great character actors carry this one.
Rated 04 Apr 2009
Morgan freeman turns in a brilliant performance as usual
Rated 25 Jul 2007
The most uplifting movie that contains prison rape.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Good. Really good.
Excelent aproach of prison life means, presenting a reflection about the gravity of Justice errors. The best acting of Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
Yet to watch this
Treacly, preachy, and silly. One of the most overrated films of all time.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
although im addicted to tarantino, for me this one should be the winner.
Rated 05 Apr 2011
Made me cry.
Rated 26 Mar 2010
Touching movie, but with some cliche stuff.
Rated 02 Jan 2013
Moving
Rated 02 Oct 2020
This movie is absoloutely a piece of work. no doubt about it. but regarding movies like escape from alcatraz,the idea behind this movie isn`t so new. if it was, iwould rate it 99
An instant classic.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
every time this movie comes on tv I sit down and watch it and waste 3-5 hours. based off the steven king short story "rita heyworth and the shawshank redemption"
Rated 03 Nov 2013
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
Rated 06 May 2020
Extremaaaaadamente overrated
Rated 01 Feb 2010
A Masterpiece. Morgan Freeman is excellent and Tim Robbin in the best peformance of his career. Drabont knows how to adapte Stephen King.
get this
Rated 17 Oct 2008
Al een keer of vier gezien, maar blijft indrukwekkend. Net met S. gekeken en weer genoten.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
Good performances and a well-written script did not save this film from its irritating wealth of predictability and its distinct lack of risk-taking. Generic to a fault, Shawshank seems to be the perfect incarnation of what a film would be if ever an "Oscar Winning Film Production Machine" were invented. Unfortunately, it falls flat for anyone expecting anything mind-bendingly unique and groundbreaking. A film that seems to be only for those content with the usual.
Rated 15 Sep 2022
It has literally no girls which is lame but also it is intense without being scary and Morgan Freeman is a nice man. Except that one part RIP
Rated 26 Mar 2008
Pretty much perfect in my opinion
Rated 04 Jul 2009
First time I saw this was the best.
Rated 17 Dec 2008
My favourite film of all time, for anyone going through a tough time I would recommend it. The story of one man's ability to rise above the prison's walls and keep hope in his heart.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
The character development and pacing of this movie work perfectly. I have never found a fault with this movie.
Rated 01 Sep 2007
Good performances by Robbins and Morgan and a tough story.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
One of the best movies ever made. Transmits optimism and hope, a feel-good movie.
A very good movie
Rated 19 Jan 2007
A great film. Sweeping story, coherent story-telling, great perfs. This was the film where Morgan Freeman's classy acting did not feel like it was a put-on. Noble, true and with its share of surprises, this elegant mive is worthy of repeated viewings.
Sure, it's alwasy on TBS or TNT, but I get sucked into watching it each time.
Rated 31 Jan 2020
This is a great movie to be faire but not enough to be the most I love.
Stephen King's stories work on the screen. I find this a pleasant companion to Stand By Me.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
Morgan Freeman is God. Aside from that, one of the few Steven Kings that translated to film well.
Rated 04 May 2008
I think this is one of the best movies of all times. I have seen it multiple times, and always enjoyed it too the fullest. Tim Robbins is awesome, and Morgan Freeman is awesome. Just See It!
Rated 02 Apr 2018
Perfect but not best.
Rated 07 May 2020
From the brilliant performances, to Deakins's beautiful cinematography, to Darabont's brilliant adaptation of King's words, this flick is perfect!
Rated 30 Oct 2008
A sprawling epic. The best Stephen King adaptation, period. Stellar acting, stellar writing, not enough good things can be said about this movie. It's long, but every moment is jam-packed with interesting ideas. Possibly one of the best films ever made.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Best film I have ever seen, primarily in terms of storytelling, acting, and direction. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins give excellent performances, and Frank Darabont's direction is flawless.
Rated 19 Dec 2014
Fascinating!
Rated 02 Apr 2020
inspiring , good acts
Rated 10 Apr 2015
Great movie.
Rated 01 Jan 2010
After watching this touching movie, I told myself I will never adore a movie more than this masterpiece.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
in my first ten movie
Rated 18 Aug 2007
A very long film, but one that makes you grit your teeth in frustration, and smile with shared relief and happiness in equal parts.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Completely enrapturing from beginning to end.
Rated 24 Feb 2014
Favourite film of all time without a shadow of a doubt!
Rated 09 Aug 2008
What is it about this movie that makes everyone love it?
Rated 01 Nov 2009
Sure, sometimes I rolled my eyes at cliched lines, but it's also uplifting, and the characters are believable.
Rated 05 Nov 2011
Another classic from Stephen King. I can watch this again and again.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
A classic prison drama that shines with it's amazing performances and a beautiful message. A must see for any moviegoer.
Rated 24 Nov 2012
A brilliant film. There's a reason why its on the top of the imdb top 250 list. It's appealing to the human mind and senses. It's appropriate for all ages. It's simply a peoples film.
Rated 06 Dec 2007
What i cant believe about this film is that it bombed at the cinema... it only too off from dvd sales. This is a great film and everyone should watch it atleast once...
Rated 27 Jan 2008