West Side Story
West-Side-Story

West Side Story

1961
Romance, Drama
Musical about two youngsters from rival NYC gangs who fall in love (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV
The Roku Channel
Hoopla
Pluto TV

Don't like this movie? Krup you.
For a dancer this is a perfect movie. I was taken to the Melbourne stage version of "West Side Story" at the Princess Theatre in early 1961, when I was six weeks old. Ronne Arnold (born in Philadelphia in 1938, and who unfortunately died in 2020), who was brought out from America to perform in the show, put me on the stage and declared that I was going to be a dancer. He was right! And I still love the movie too.
Yes, it can be hard for modern viewers to take 'tough guy gangs' prancing about like ballet dancers seriously. But the choreography and cinematography on display here are still absolutely stunning. I was surprised by how sharp the social commentary in 'America' and 'Gee, Officer Krupke' was, as well. The love story was pretty forgettable, and based entirely on that hideous 'love at first sight' cliche, but the two leads had enough cuteness going for them to make me appreciate it.
Watching this movie with the sound off is like listening to Inception with the video off. As stupid as this is, I know because I've done both.
Quibbles aside (the main problem is not the performances or casting but some poor dialogue), no show both created its own style and took a step in the evolution of the musical, and more particularly and more generally of dance, in the way that Bernstein and especially Robbins were able to do with West Side Story. Kael's counter-view: "The dancing is obviously trying to say something [but the] possibilities of dance as an expressive medium are not expanded in West Side Story; they're contracted."

Submitted bylumabeanlumabean on 23 Mar 2006