Fargo
Amazon VideoApple TVShowtime Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Cinemax Amazon Channel
Max Amazon Channel
Max
Cinemax Apple TV Channel

1996
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Jerry's inept crime falls apart due to his and his henchmen's bungling and the persistent police work of pregnant Marge Gunderson.
Cinemax Amazon Channel
Max Amazon Channel
Max
Cinemax Apple TV Channel

I generally dislike "comedies"; I prefer movies that simply use comedy as a cinematic device just like any other, and that's something the Coens do better than most. I mean, Fargo isn't really a comedy. In some ways it's more like a tragedy. But the way it balances the two "genres" -- and in the process shows how they're more closely connected than we usually realize -- it manages to become both, and neither. Or something like that.
Fargo is the only movie of its kind to work. It is so unique and has such great performances. It is such a hilarious film, and yet it is so dark and gruesome, especially the woodchipper scene. The Coen Bros. really know what they are doing, and this film is a prime example of their filmmaking capabilities. Frances McDormand leads a great cast, and wins a well deserved oscar. Fargo is one of a kind, and is one of the brightest American films in the past few decades.
What I learned from this movie: it takes no less than two Cohen brothers to make movie about Minnesota but name it after a city in North Dakota. The conversation at the end about the 3-cent postage stamp features some of the most poignant and moving dialogue I've watched on film since Quaid told Richter on Mars that he'd see him at the party.
There's an undercurrent of quirky tragedy permeating Fargo, and it's unlike anything I've ever seen. No movie has been able to so perfectly walk the line between funny and horrific, which is why Fargo is the quintessential "black comedy." Nearly every scene, every bit of dialog, every character, and every shot is memorable which makes this one of the most watchable movies I've ever seen. I just can't stop smiling throughout it.
(after repeat viewings) I like how the Coen brothers, arguably the most unhollywood directors in the industry, create characters that feel fresh and real. Easily one of the best American films of the 90's.

Last modified by:djrossdjross on 11 Mar 2023