Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express

2008

Rated 14 Aug 2008
With Pineapple Express, you got a great blend of stoner comedy, action, and suspense. It isn't has funny as Superbad or Knocked Up, but the humour is very similar, and by no means bad. There are some absolutely hilarious moments, and some great lines like; "If you don't do exactly as I say, I'm gonna drag you out and fuck you in the street!" Although it is a bit disappointing, Pineapple Express is still a hilarious movie, with some fantastic moments. Awesome!
Rated 14 Feb 2019
David Gordon Green likes Danny McBride the way Judd Apatow likes Seth Rogan, excessively. James Franco just likes being in movies.
Rated 28 Dec 2020
Not my type of movie But it's okay
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Hard to say why I didn't like it more, but I don't mean that as a knock. I certainly enjoyed it, and even laughed a fair amount, but overall I was left feeling a little flat. Franco and McBride were the real breakout stars here...outshining Rogen to a degree. My main problem is the same one I had with "Hot Fuzz", when out of nowhere, we go from a slapstick/stoner comedy into an action-packed gorefest. I "get" what they're going for, but it's still awkward and on its way to being cliche.
Rated 31 Oct 2008
Featured a fair amount of irritating scenes (the relationship between Rogen and Heard, the ending which was pointless,...), and lacked a human element that both Knocked Up and Superbad shared (the latter still being my favorite film from Apatow). But I did laugh... a lot !!! The film is just hysterical and downright ridiculous. To me, Pineapple Express may be the most quotable film since I dunno, The Big Lebowski. "Fuck the Police !!!", man, I almost cried from laughter...
Rated 13 Aug 2008
It's pretty funny but it can drag at times and it doesn't feel like a coherent whole. It's a bit of a jumbled mess, especially when contrasted with, say, Superbad or Knocked Up.
Rated 13 Aug 2014
Fun cast and a few good moments, but I just don't find people shouting at each other at uncomfortable volumes to be that hilarious. Man, if I did my youth would've been só much better.
Rated 10 Jan 2010
PSI of 54? Is Nancy Reagan ranking stuff on here?
Rated 20 Mar 2009
At times it gets too goofy and over-the-top in both the comedy and action departments, but it's still very funny. Franco was funny, though I thought Rogen was a little off.
Rated 30 Nov 2008
Surprisingly uneven, often going from brilliant to bad (and back) in 5-10 min span. Still: Better than most comedies.
Rated 15 Aug 2008
Though it's not as good as Knocked Up, Pineapple Express is a great mesh of action and comedy in a way that's rarely done this well. The comedy itself is getting stale as it's not much different than this group's half-dozen or so movies from this decade, but this one brought in a few new players, namely James Franco and the guy who played Red who are just hilarious and really add a lot to the team.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
Overall the plot doesn't work... but there are enough laughs (even for us non-potheads) to make it entertaining. Aptow's success rests on his core audience of the easily amused, but this movie slightly transcends the pee-pee/poo-poo humor of his previous efforts.
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Superb crime comedy with seth rogen.Some dialogues reminds me on the early tarantino movies.
Rated 10 Aug 2008
Like "Hot Fuzz" on weed; though this has its moments and is generally pretty entertaining, it never made me laugh or cheer in the same ways Hot Fuzz did. Perhaps it's an unfair comparison, but nonetheless I felt this entry is a bit slight for Apatow & co.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Got a few laughs, but mostly just silly. What was the point of the relationship between Rogen and his gf? Saul and Red were pretty funny, but I kind of had enough of both of them by the end. Just not really my thing. It was all a bit over the top for me.
Rated 22 Mar 2009
A lot of fun. The plot is very unfocused, but it IS a movie about stoners, so I think that was very unintentional. A great job from everyone in the film.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
Lighthearted comedy that deals with murder, drugs, corrupting the youth, and government conspiracies.
Rated 21 Mar 2009
Hilarious dialogue along with the cast and the surprising ending make Pineapple Express worth watching.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
It ends kinda weird, but I still haven't laughed this hard since Superbad. Oh, James Franco is absolutely HILARIOUS!!!
Rated 15 Aug 2008
David Gordon Green directed this? What the fuck?
Rated 13 Aug 2008
THUG LIFE.
Rated 13 May 2009
that's like a massacre, man
Rated 22 Oct 2008
Pineapple Exress starts a bit slowly but it keeps speeding up towards the great ending. Danny McBride and Craig Robinson steal the show from Seth Rogen.
Rated 15 Nov 2017
Hilarious when it came out. Does not hold up 10 years later
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Nothing amazing but decent enough for some laughs. McBride steals his scenes.
Rated 26 Dec 2009
Great movie with many hilarious scene's but doesn't reach the level of Superbad wich is hilarious all the time. But still one of the best comedy's of 2008. James Franco and Seth Rogen are super funny but it are Craig Robinson and Danny McBride who steal the show. 'Matheson' should get his own film. You don't have to like weed to like this movie. Favorite quote : Thug life !
Rated 01 Jan 2017
One of Goldbergs and Rogens tightest scripts. Great comedy and great performances, especially Franco and Mcbride
Rated 07 Aug 2008
Apatow keeps his record perfect as he cranks out yet another gut busting comedy. Franco is perfect for his role and Rogen is hilarious as always.
Rated 09 Mar 2013
There are some properly funny moments but they're only interspersed in a a mediocre film. It's still enjoyable though.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
Not the best Apatow production you'll see but it delivers some laughs and a pretty good story. The writers (Rogen and Goldberg) took years writing "Superbad", a far superior film. Maybe they should have given this one a little more time.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
James Franco is the best part about this.
Rated 24 Jun 2014
Who has to get stoned to watch the 5000 Fingers of Dr. T ???!!!
Rated 07 Aug 2008
It's a different animal from the standard Apatow flick, even though it's got a lot of the same elements. There's a lot more action than I expected going into a stoner comedy, and it does a good action/buddy cop flick parody, while doing stoner comedy, while doing standard Apatow-style comedy too. It's funny. Really funny. But, as a movie, it's a bit all over the place...it couldn't really decide what it was or where it was going, so it's a bit messy. Still, it's FUNNY, Franco in particular.
Rated 21 Dec 2008
A loving tribute to both marijuana and 80s action films. Hot Fuzz this ain't, but I'll be damned if it doesn't come close. It's a step away from the comfort zone for Green, and he brings an artful direction sorely lacking from most Apatow pictures -- the forest montage is an exquisitely crafted piece of sloppy fun. The dialog is endlessly quotable ("Pandora only comes out of the box, he can't go back in!"), and Franco gives a truly inspired performance. This has Cult Classic written all over it.
Rated 22 Mar 2021
Pineapple Express is a typical dumb and fun comedy that you'd expect with Rogen attached to it. While not being overly clever, it does play well into its absurdity and that's where most of its laughs will be found. There isn't much here in the way of compelling writing or story, with much of everything being surface level filler. If you can get behind a stoner comedy, this will work for you, but it will turn others off. Not the best of Rogen or Franck's work, but still solid.
Rated 29 Nov 2008
It would have been funnier if I wasn't so predictable. Seth Rogen seems to have created a pattern when it comes to his acting in movies.
Rated 02 Aug 2009
"Competent" in the most delightful way possible. Sure, I'll never think about this movie again except to quote it during my future moments of stupidity, but I was sober as I watched it and I laughed until I cried. That's not easy to accomplish.
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Great stoner comedy wrap in the most messed up action movie you'll ever see. Fantastic stuff. More please.
Rated 06 Aug 2008
I wanted to like this more but it just drags on and on for so long that it was just frustrating. The last 10 minutes are so bad that most people will end up hating it for that alone. The violence was unexpectedly brutal and Franco is hilarious. All in all it is pretty average.
Rated 10 Nov 2008
Bonus points for Ed Begley Jr. drinking a tin of Newcastle!
Rated 13 Jun 2021
James Franco ve Seth Rogen :((((
Rated 03 Mar 2012
If Seth Rogen wasn't in it I would probably have given it 75, but he is. I really hate Seth Rogen... Dont know what he's like as a person, probably a great guy, but as an actor, he annoys the shit out of me.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
I watched Pineapple Express and Knocked Up on the same day, and wow, what a contrast! Pineapple Express was really funny at times, but Rogen's character was way more annoying than in Knocked Up, and in general I found the movie too long, and containing boring and pointless dialogues. Good humor and action, but besides that the script was awful in my opinion.
Rated 31 Aug 2008
Ridiculously quotable film is probably the most artistically inclined of the Apatow films thusfar. With director David Gordon Green, this isn't unexpected, but his sheer love for cheesy 80s actioners is. This is a starmaking turn for McBride and Franco does extremely well with a role that could have been a cut-rate stoner stereotype.
Rated 05 Feb 2012
nah. not even danny mcbride could sail this boat safely to shore. there were some laughs, but most of the storyline could have been edited backwards and would still make the same amount of sense. not even amber heard looks that hot here, and how fucked up is that??!
Rated 10 Apr 2009
Good Movie
Rated 06 Mar 2009
A chaotic buddy movie in the vein of "Dumb & Dumber," only with weed and more violence. Some real laugh out loud moments make it an enjoyable two hours of bumbling nonsense.
Rated 11 Oct 2015
I feel like I shouldn't have laughed as much as I did watching this.
Rated 03 Dec 2009
HILARITY! Watch it!
Rated 15 Jan 2009
Deus ex machina, with the comedy stylings of Rosie Perez
Rated 21 Feb 2009
THUG LIFE!!!!! ............... Probably not the most intelligent movie ever made, but I laughed so hard every time Red came in action. ... This is my guilty pleasure.
Rated 29 Jun 2009
Very, very silly.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
A pile of shit with a poor script - not funny.
Rated 20 Jan 2009
The occasional slight chuckle, certainly nothing special by way of plot. I'd say not worth the watch unless you're under the influence.
Rated 23 Nov 2013
Seth Rogen on the run. Very funny.
Rated 14 Feb 2018
A stoner and his dealer get caught up in a drug war and the comedy's exactly what you'd expect-a combination of "that's gotta hurt" slapstick (Red is the obvious champ in this area) and loud swear-laden and weed-infused riffs of dialogue. Doesn't break much new ground but Franco's dim Saul and Rogen's straight man Dale have good chemistry and keep you engaged in spite of the mediocre plot. An uproarious improvised epilogue at the diner makes up for the over-the-top gun-happy climax.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
Maybe Rogen's best moments even if the movie itself isn't that great.
Rated 17 Oct 2013
watch it high
Rated 24 Oct 2014
Hillarious!!! Weed makes the world go round and round, and it becomes clear in this movie! Funny scenes, funny dialogs, Seth Rogen and James Franco at their classic style, doing only what they know! Even the script is somewhat original!!! Sort of..
Rated 17 Jun 2012
In the end, this is only a parody of the film it might've been. Still good though, but man(!), the potential...
Rated 04 Dec 2009
It is so fun to watch this movie stoned.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
boring and i didn't laugh at all
Rated 16 Jan 2009
pretty funny for a movie that could have been made in the 80ies :D
Rated 09 May 2011
Pineapple Express is a film that I enjoyed for most of its duration, but was really let down by its ending. Look past that, and it's funny, and possesses a bunch of characters that you will grow to like. It lacks tension though, which, while not an incredibly important point, makes the action scenes less effective. Rogan and Franco play characters you will end up enjoying the company of, and the jokes are usually enough to keep you laughing. At least, until the end when the shoot 'em up begins.
Rated 15 Apr 2010
james franco as a stoner was awesome, opening of the movie is great too, silly but funny
Rated 21 Nov 2008
The line "Suck on the cock of destiny" did it for me!
Rated 16 Aug 2009
2. 10 years later definitely not as funny as I remember it. Maybe I've grown older and more cynical and can't appreciate simplistic and carefree humour properly anymore, maybe I've simply seen too many formulaic Hollywood stoner/buddy flicks now, or maybe it never was that good to begin with. Then again Franco is awesome as usual, and makes me smile just by smiling (I know, sounds silly but hey), there is some decent humour overall, but is a bit forgettable to be honest.
Rated 29 Oct 2021
The film was a disappointment for me; I know, I should not go into films with expectations. I should go in fresh! For a stoner action comedy, it's too slow and is not as ridiculous as it ought to be (despite Red's apparent immortality). However, the dynamic between Franco and Rogan, as well as McBride, is surprisingly authentic and sincere. In fact, I'm not a Franco fan, but I like him in this. Some advice to Rogan; shout less, as your shouting just comes across as whinging and whining.
Rated 20 Aug 2008
Probably the most unique film from the Apatow group. I just love how paranoid and infantile all the characters are. The action is dirty, realistic, and hilarious. And the opening scene is just fantastic.
Rated 08 Jan 2009
It took me multiple watches (too, too many) to really get into this stoner comedy. I don't know why. It's awesome.
Rated 19 Nov 2012
Rated 08 Oct 2009
It was nice enough...but really not all that amazing.
Rated 20 Mar 2011
Dober film, pošteno nasmejal :)
Rated 18 Nov 2020
72.1.
Rated 20 Dec 2008
A disappointing, genre-bending, comedy/thriller/action movie that could have benefited from some genre definition.
Rated 08 Aug 2008
Pretty hilarious throughout, and the action scenes are surprisingly competent and exciting.
Rated 17 Jun 2009
Maybe you have to be stoned in order to appreciate it, I soberingly turned it off half way through...
Rated 14 Aug 2008
Dope comedy with sadistic violence. Nice. Danny McBride is hilarious.
Rated 07 Sep 2011
I watched Pineapple Express, not because I was told that it was an awesome movie, but because I was looking for something humorous, and in that sense it didn't fail. Seth Rogen was almost perfect for this, lovely acting.
Rated 25 Oct 2008
It's both hilarious and completely brutal, although the plot is meandering and the characters come off as annoying sometimes, and the plot never really coheres in the end. It's still great at providing both laughs and cringes, and I expect I'd like it better if I was high when I watched it.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
The first half is very funny, Franco and McBride are both beyond brilliant, Rogen is his usual charismatically schlubby self, and it's nice to have an Apatow-style film with a real director behind the camera; it makes a big difference. Once it slips into an ineffective homage to '80s action flicks in the last act, though, it loses almost all of its humor and becomes, well, boring. Cole and Perez are both totally wasted. Very good stoner flick, but could've benefitted from a couple rewrites.
Rated 22 Jul 2011
An enjoyable and very funny action-stoner romp that does something that all action-comedies must do; MAKE THE ACTION SCENES FUNNY AS WELL. Also, the ending scene is especially memorable.
Rated 29 Mar 2011
Lots of fun and a pretty good watch in the theater. Saw it again and was kinda of like, "I enjoyed this that much?" So watch it once and you will really enjoy it...and then never watch it again.
Rated 24 Oct 2008
Some parts are pretty amusing, but it's a stoner comedy through and through and a lot of it just stupid and predictable, especially the first half.
Rated 27 Aug 2011
The actors had a little more fun than the audience on this one. One of the weaker frat pack movies despite James Franco's admirable characterization.
Rated 06 Nov 2013
Forgettable stoner film
Rated 28 Feb 2017
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg bring you a new kind of stoner buddy action/comedy. The hilarious cross-joint trio of Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Danny McBride are brilliant together in this instant stoner comedy classic. Although the love story feels a bit forced, the unexpected bromances were only enhanced by the onscreen chemistry between multiple characters. All the deep friendship provides enough heart, to go behind all of the over-the-top jokes and action.
Rated 05 Mar 2016
"Pineapple Express" is an exquisitely funny picture. It just drives forward through a crazy load of messy situations, boasting one of Seth Rogen's best performances, paired with a very convincing James Franco, great and highly quotable lines and very powerful action including several very tight - and hilarious - fist fights. Consistent fun.
Rated 31 Jan 2023
a good movie to watch when you are stoned. Not recommended otherwise
Rated 03 Jan 2011
Seth Rogen just nailed the role,maybe he has experience
Rated 21 Jul 2009
Uneven but the highs are pretty high.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
This movie is fantastic. Hands down the funniest and most memorable movie I have ever seen. P.S. F**k all you haters... and the police
Rated 06 Dec 2009
Well, this comedy would not be anything without Rogen. Litterally. I would not touch it even with a ten foot pole. But Rogen wrote it for himself and that's the point. Under all hassle it's very good buddy movie and Rogen is funny like hell. Good story, evidently, lots of brilliant details and lines. Glorified stupidity at it's best.
Rated 10 Mar 2010
Funny shit.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
Dumb dumb dumb.
Rated 11 Nov 2012
Stoners are only funny for so long. One good line about putting Pandora back into *his* box.
Rated 23 Oct 2008
Apatow shows Harold and Kumar how stoner buddy comedies are made. McBride is the funniest of the bunch.
Rated 11 Jul 2010
Boring and tedious, I can see how it would be fairly entertaining to some people though.
Rated 17 Jan 2009
Nothing special. Funny in parts but too long.
Rated 30 Jan 2010
Has some funny moments and James Franco is great as usual but I can't stand Seth Rogan.