The Man With a Movie Camera
The-Man-With-a-Movie

The Man With a Movie Camera

1929
Documentary, Music
A cameraman travels around a city with a camera slung over his shoulder, documenting urban life with dazzling inventiveness. (imdb)
Director: Dziga_VertovDziga Vertov
Starring: Mikhail Kaufman
Amazon VideoApple TVVuduKanopyVUDU FreeIndieFlix
Kino Now

Not only is this fascinating as a document of its time, it's easily entertaining and captivating enough to be watched just for the experience itself. The film also has many moments of very clever self-referencing, including images of the film itself being edited and even footage of spectators watching the film in a movie theater. It's so meta that it hurts -- in a good way.
Absolutely exhilirating film. There is certainly an element of propaganda here, but it's overshadowed by the brilliant images and perfect editing.
The Man With A Movie Camera, directed by Dziga Vertov, was an experimental film that incorporated a variety of creative camera techniques and the fast-paced progression of images create an effective portrait of the city of Moscow as a typical day goes by. Today, it still remains an effective and important film for those wishing to learn about the history of cinema and its development into the form that exists today.
I just cannot get into these types of films where they only show images and try to cover up how they have no story with awesome music. A film to me is more than just a soundtrack and images, I need something to happen. Interesting from a history perspective but I will never watch this again.
Whenever I want to prove a point on uniqueness of cinematic language to an infant I resort to this movie. Perfect use of Kuleschov effect over and over. Most of the early movies are for cinema enhusiasts, but this one is a must-see for everyone, since it's also funny it also works as a catalyst to arouse interest in cinema history. It's desperately asking for several reedits with different types of modern music.

Director: Dziga_VertovDziga Vertov