To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird

1962
Crime

Rated 13 Nov 2007
Pay close attention to the way the story is portrayed here. You are witnessing the story through the eyes of the children, rather than its main character. There is a lot of hope in this story, an understanding that these children come to about the reality of the world and how they have to take what life gives them, ultimately using these experiences, not only to imrove their own lives, but also the lives around them. Highly recommended!
Rated 07 Apr 2008
The camera, the gaze, acts as some omniscient presence. Pensive, sensitive and subdued at first, it seems to change mood and develop as it reacts, instead of acting to drive the narrative. It already knows, yet keeps its distance when it opines the moment requires sensitivity; or goes grainy when its frightened; or gazes up at Atticus in warm reverence, like an angel longing to experience its own creation unfold as a fourth child.
Rated 01 Nov 2015
One of you reading this is probably your neighborhood's Boo Radley.
Rated 09 Mar 2010
Up to the actual trial it's a fair let down, but on through it and after it is simply a fantastic movie. Peck's already unique voice is taken to almost a satire when combined with this southern accent. It's a great story that could have used a bit of trimming and a little more photogenic scenes.
Incredible acting and writing, Gregory Peck certainly deserves all the kudos he receives for To Kill A Mockingbird.
Rated 29 Aug 2008
A flawless example of proper page-to-screen adaptation. The classic novel of truth and justice in the face of extreme prejudice is made even more dramatic by powerful images. Gregory Peck is unforgettable as Atticus Finch. In this character lies a heroic example of exceptional American masculinity and morality (I was so inspired that my son's middle name is Atticus). Beyond the great story, the film is a beauty and the methodical delivery of scenes through a child's point-of-view is ingenious.
Rated 06 Dec 2006
Very good adaptation.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Boo Radley is one of the best names ever. It's so awesome I wish Duvall had somehow adopted it into his personality.
Some of the greatest performances on film are seen in this film. Gregory Peck is the only man who could have pulled off the role of one of literature's greatest heroes, Atticus Finch. As far as adaptations go, it is also very good, taking what was most important from the novel, and giving it smart and meaningful imagery. To Kill a Mockingbird is not a film anyone go without seeing. Awesome!
Rated 08 Apr 2012
What most people have pointed out, Peck and the courtroom stuff make this whole film. Brock Peters is amazing. I actually prefer it to the book, but just barely.
Rated 21 May 2019
I agree with Ebert: ""To Kill a Mockingbird" is, as I said, a time capsule. It expresses the liberal pieties of a more innocent time, the early 1960s, and it goes very easy on the realities of small-town Alabama in the 1930s."
Rated 27 Jan 2012
It's not that I don't agree with the message (because the message is good) or that I dislike the acting (Peck is pretty great), but as a whole the film didn't grab me in any meaningful way. The courtroom scene is powerful, but makes everything else seem a bit simple and underdeveloped in comparison. I assume the book fleshes everything out a whole lot better. An important production in its day, but not super impressive to this particular asshole in 2012.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Expert adaptation of a wonderful book. Brilliantly directed and performed, and genuinely engaging and thought provoking. It's still a fantastic piece of drama, regardless as to if it has the same social relevance and impact that it had when it was released. A true classic.
Rated 23 Jan 2008
An extremely powerful book gets turned into an extremely powerful movie. Peck made himself a legend with this one. Excellent film that everyone should see. You also gotta love Robert Duvall as Boo Radley.
Great story and an excellent performance by Gregory Peck.
Rated 07 Sep 2018
This movie didn't effect me as much as I thought it would But it is a very good film Peck gave an outstanding performance I also liked that we didn't get the usual "Happy Ending"
Rated 23 May 2009
I do think this film should be placed within the background of the racial issues of the '60. But besides that this a beautiful film on moral decency, childhood, courage and ultimately growing up. ... Gregory Peck, Mary Badham and Philip Alford give this movie the statue it deserves.
Rated 11 Dec 2008
Peck is simply incredible and makes you long for actors of his caliber today.
Rated 11 Dec 2009
Gregory Peck in the character of his life!
Rated 16 Jan 2012
It was rather good. It was charming in its innocence, but also interesting in its exploration of much darker themes. Its message was simple enough: don't pass judgement upon others. But it was done in an inviting, yet complex fashion. Gregory Peck was great, as always. Definitely worth watching.
Rated 06 Jul 2008
Virtually a flawless film...
Rated 06 May 2008
Classic.
Rated 07 Oct 2012
Wonderful meditation on childhood innocence being melted away on exposure to the 'real world'; manages to make some profound points on the virtues of tolerance and humanity (and dignified examples of turning the other cheek when necessary). The child actors are wonderfully natural scene-stealers, but the film belongs to Peck in a career defining role, imbuing the potentially bland and dull hero with warmth, humanity, and ever-so subtle shades of grey. Courtroom summation speech is a knock-out!
Rated 14 Nov 2007
While it cannot possibly stand up to the book, this is still an outstanding film. Gregory Peck is amazing.
Rated 12 Dec 2010
In the past 12 days I've already given two films perfect scores. They were both magnificent, but something about To Kill A Mockingbird makes me like it even more. I'm not going to say it's flawless, because there were a couple of awkward moments (What's with those extreme zoom close-ups that Hollywood used to use on scary people?) but something about the movie struck a chord with me. Hopefully the next movie I watch won't be so damn good. (edit: i dont like it as much anymore)
Rated 31 Aug 2007
A very good adaptation of the classic novel. Gregory Peck is phenomenal as Atticus.
Rated 07 Aug 2009
A classic white society vs. a black man court case with a great performance by Peck in the iconic lead role. Duvall's film debut is also interesting.
Rated 16 Jun 2011
I've seen it many times, and i'm always impressed.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
This is a great movie that has one of the most incredible performances in the history of film. It's more about the actual performance than the film itself, it seems. It's a simple message the movie has; racism is bad. It's a good message.
Rated 11 Aug 2009
Fucking hell, that one kid's voice is grating. Also I haven't seen this since I was like 13.
Rated 21 Dec 2013
A little too confected for this viewer's taste.
Sometimes a man must make a stand and give a top rating to possibly the greatest movie of all time...
Possibly one of the best movies of all time. Certainly one of the finest. Gregory Peck's good, true face as Atticus Finch just gets me somewhere deep down every, every time. Storytelling at its very best.
Racism and Boo Radley through the eyes of a child. The big court room set piece is as well-written and powerful today as ever, and the interaction between Atticus and his kids is perfect. And I'll argue that it's just as good as the book for one reason - Gregory Peck. Even rereading the book, Peck IS Atticus, period.
Rated 30 Jul 2022
Deserves every masterpiece status and iconic accolade thrown at it. Plays like a fairy tale - children approaching adults’ sins with a clear view and conscience - if only we could see it. Of all the courtroom dramas I’ve seen, this is the only one I can remember that has the final remarks filmed completely from the Jury’s perspective, in one, agonizing take. We’re also on trial, and 60-some years have diminished none of its impact.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
Message picture? Sure. Great movie? Yes. Beautiful and realistic, well-acted (Peck is legendary in this), and there's a great sense of nostalgia and yearning for the simple life of being a child. This, and Paper Moon, made me realize, around the age of 12, how beautiful black-and-white could be.
Rated 27 Feb 2011
Good adaptation of a good book; solid direction for the time it was made. But of course, the real big thing to talk about is Gregory Peck's performance as Atticus Finch, the role model and father figure who stands the test of time. It's truly a sweeping performance, and the courtroom speech is a scene all aspiring actors must applaud.
Find me a better father than Atticus Finch. I DARE you.
Rated 16 Aug 2015
A classic performance in a classic film based on a classic novel. I loved the book, and while this is a faithful and pretty great adaptation, it's its lot to pale in comparison to Harper Lee's text. Also, as pointed out in this Goodreads review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/308193062), the highly misleading title is a very mean prank which should be punished accordingly.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
Beautiful. Love the book as well.
Rated 30 Dec 2010
a movie about a black man accused to murder and a lawyer to defend his innocence but racism ... . Gregory Peck acted one of his best roles ever.
Rated 08 Oct 2009
Beautiful movie. I wish I was a kid again. Why aren't movies these days more like this one?
Rated 27 Aug 2014
A slow-burning masterpiece with outstanding performances from everyone involved.
Rated 13 Sep 2012
There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. Suffice to say, it lives up to the legacy.
Rated 20 Jul 2019
Preachy.
Rated 04 Mar 2010
Like the book I felt that the showing this mostly through a child's simple way of seeing and interacting with the world made it what it was. Of course Peck is excellent, but the children bring out a view of the adult world as being unnecessarily complicated with the way people are treated differently based on their backgrounds, races or lifestyles. It's realistic in the fact that everything happened basically as it would happen, even if it was needless or stupid. Importantly it's damn honest.
Rated 20 Feb 2011
A perfect movie. A joy to watch each and every time. I want to be Gregory Peck when I grow up.
Rated 14 Jun 2011
Excellent adaptation of the novel. As with the novel, it's a bit disappointing that a work most people think of being a message piece about civil rights & race in America seems to give all the credit to the Great White Hero, with the black characters as little more than props ("some men were born to do our dirty jobs"). But I don't think it's as simple as that -- the film/novel is primarily a Bildungsroman, and we're seeing the world, and Atticus, through his child's eyes.
Rated 23 Feb 2013
A heartbreaking classic. Peck's performance here is legendary. I can't imagine what it was like to see this in theaters in 1962.
Rated 14 Jul 2010
To Kill a Mockingbird is a great film whose politics have not aged very well. I am sure Harper Lee meant to make it a statement against racism, and at this point the phrase "Fair for its Time" creeps into the conversation. But there's no denying that viewed today, the way it treats Tom Robinson is incredibly demeaning and a bit concerning to look at. Still worth watching, but with a critical eye.
Rated 03 Jul 2012
A classic adaptation of an American classic. Storytelling doesn't get much better than this.
Rated 18 May 2007
The book is a lot better, but Gregory Peck is amazing.
Rated 08 Mar 2010
Another case where the book was SO much better, yet I can't read the book anymore without picturing Atticus as Gregory Peck.
I know that it's lame to compare a movie to a book, but there's just so much that isn't there in the movie. By isn't there, I don't just mean that it's absent. Some things are present but just not there in their full and proper effect. It doesn't work as well. Compared to the book, there is nothing to love in this movie. If you've read the book, I doubt you'll enjoy this movie. Otherwise, I don't know, but the film just can't hold itself against such a masterwork of literature.
The court scene was good, but the book was so much better
Rated 23 Mar 2014
Both some Hollywoodish conveniences and some occasionally shaky child acting prevent this from being quite as masterful as it could have been; but "To Kill a Mockingbird" remains a layered, powerful coming-of-age story with plenty of social and psychological insights. Peck's nuanced performance and the script's compelling structure and cleverly placed cues ensure an involving, even moving experience. And the title sequence is glorious.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
opening credits are the best part
Great drama that will move you. Better than some of John Grisham based movies.
Rated 19 Nov 2012
A classic for a reason with Gregory Peck instilling life into the beloved character Atticus Finch.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
I loved it!
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Tense and exciting courtroom drama. Commanding lead performance from Gregory Peck, and Duvall's screen debut as Boo Radley.
Rated 28 Jan 2009
Peck at his most self-righteous.
Rated 05 Jun 2021
I've read the book but it's been such a long time ago I can't really say which one was better. I enjoyed the movie. The acting was solid and it works so well in black-and-white. Starts out a bit slow, but it gets more interesting from there.
Rated 06 May 2011
I gotta be honest, I am not overly impressed with the story, maybe its because I have no emotions or just hate little kids. My lack of care for the original Harper Lee story definitely is represented in this score. I do have to say though, Atticus Finch is a true hero and is fucking awesome.
Rated 31 Mar 2013
I had forgotten just how much this is a coming of age story. Scout is a great character and the scenes about her and Jem getting little revelations into the larger world outside their childhood perspectivewere the most interesting part of the film. By contrast, the trial, though powerfully acted, seemed a bit hamfisted and meant more for the audience than the jury. Still, that doesn't dampen my admiration of the film. It's a powerful story and the film conveys the essence very well.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
A rare movie adaptation that's worthy of the book. Could this generation get our Gregory Peck now, please?
Rated 03 Jun 2013
The beginning of the film lowers the rating for me, but the court room scene and ending are great.
Rated 17 May 2008
As perfect a movie as the book was a book. I cry every time.
Rated 28 Sep 2016
Robert Duvall's best part
Rated 12 Jul 2008
A heart-warming tale of racial prejudice.
Rated 15 Mar 2016
Robert Mulligan and Horton Foote might have left out big chunks of the book in order to offer a concise script but remain true to the source material's spirit. Gregory Peck is very likable as the father and is particularly strong in the courtroom scenes, in which Brock Peters also shines in a realistic, moving performance. Kudos should also be extended to the kids, especially Mary Badham as Scout. It's not without its flaws but serves as an overall powerful, resonant rendition of a great novel.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 236
Rated 14 Feb 2009
1 Angry Man.
Rated 07 Oct 2010
Book's better of course, but this film is one of the best book to film adaptations I've ever seen. Gregory Peck embodies the character so well it's hard to get his performance out of your head when you read the novel. Very subtle, intelligent take on an important story.
Rated 06 Dec 2007
This was and continues to be one of Gregory Peck's finest hours in actors. What a cast; what a story. Need to watch it again in the current times.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
Great adaptation of a novel and well-portrayed characterizations.
Rated 16 Jul 2009
God, I love Gregory Peck in this. Who wouldn't want to be his kid?
Rated 28 Apr 2009
A well written and acted adaption of the novel. Gregory Peck gives a superb performance most defiantly worthy of an Oscar.
Rated 30 Aug 2022
Intense
Rated 21 Aug 2009
EXCELLENT MOVIE! Followed the book almost to a "t". Read the book, then watch the movie. Great performances, great story, very well shot.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
Boring, hard to follow and i just always seem to fall asleep during this. Oh well, sorry.
Rated 20 May 2012
The film focuses primarily on Atticus and the trial. When I think about To Kill a Mockingbird, I don't think too much about the trial. I think about Miss Maudie sharing a quietly profound conversation with the kids over cake. I think of Miss Dubose (Ruth White) kicking her morphine addiction. I think of Dill realizing that he's not loved. I think of Scout standing with Boo Radley on the porch surveying her little town.
Rated 16 Apr 2021
shit
Rated 14 Feb 2016
Great film with great performances and a great message
Rated 12 Jul 2011
A film that is essential for film studies,
Rated 01 Jan 2016
The plot is a bit of a mess. I don't really like this mixture of serious courtroom drama with the story of weird neighbour that feels like taken straight from some cheesy horror-comedy. Also I can't help but laugh at hilarious faces of a convicted black guy who tells in a completely terrified voice how white woman wanted to fuck him.
Amazing novel to screen adaptation. Absolutley fantastic movie.
Rated 26 Apr 2007
It's better than a busted-up chiffarobe.
Rated 25 Feb 2007
Hard for the sentimentality of this book that many have to translate to the big screen, however it does what it can. Gregory Peck moulds perfectly into the role of Atticus and the films is inspiring and well done.
Rated 18 Dec 2009
This isn't a standard courtroom movie. It tells the story from the kids' perspective which worked really well. Gregory Peck deserved the Oscar for Best Actor if you ask me. The black-and-white works excellent by the way.
Rated 04 Jun 2022
This movie didn't blow me away. The performances are great, but it doesn't really come together as a whole for me. From what I gather, I should probably read the book
Rated 20 Dec 2009
Everybody's favorite dad crusades for justice.
Rated 22 Jun 2011
So Atticus Finch is clearly the greatest father in cinema history. That's not saying much though. There are like 5 slightly decent fathers in all of cinema.
Rated 20 Jan 2008
Classic courtroom drama based on that classic novel we all read in high school, powered by the brilliant Gregory Peck.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Must see classic
Rated 12 Sep 2007
A movie classic. Powerful, dramatic performance by Greogory Peck. Probably too slow-paced and requiring too much critical thought for today's audiences. A movie like this would probably not be made in our current environment.
Rated 10 Sep 2010
Black people, lol
Rated 07 Jul 2010
greatttttt
Rated 09 Dec 2012
Atticus Finch is a badass, and Gregory Peck exemplifies that. That being said, this film hasn't aged well enough for what it is, in my opinion.
Rated 18 Dec 2014