You\
Youre-Next

You're Next

2013
Suspense/Thriller, Horror
A family reunion spirals into a night of terror when mysterious assailants wearing animal masks lay siege against the clan. (mubi.com)
Cinemax Amazon Channel
Cinemax Apple TV Channel

Instead of making a movie that finally gives us smart victims, You're Next embraces the stupidity of its cast and provides the audience with more than enough reasons to want them garroted, gutted, and gelded. Okay, maybe not gelded. And oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man THAT 80s SYNTH TRACK AT THE END. Tack that pulsating riff on a twenty hour-long Golden Girls blooper reel and I'd skip my grandmother's funeral to watch it.
Mumblecore family dysfunction meets The Strangers, until it's revealed there's a much more mundane motive at work. I love how killing people is actually depicted as not only difficult, but hard work. Genuinely funny, and best use of a pop song in a horror film since House of the Devil. Though its charm is largely rooted in horror convention, it doesn't obnoxiously hit you over the head with its self-awareness (see, or rather don't see, Cabin in the Woods); its irony feels much more organic.
I could never fully get into these home invasion films to be honest, but You're Next seems different from others. Some decent acting along with some wooden acting, but it does seem to be slightly smarter than some and it almost has a pretty good depth with it's score and bloody eye candy. Vinson is good.
Joe Swanberg making fun of Ti West for being a director is one of the most meta things ever committed to celluloid.
Reasonably OK in the tension department; not so good in the originality department; poor in the camera stability department. Also: note that all Australians are exactly like the character in this movie.

Poster supplied byfilmcomFilm.com