Valhalla Rising
Valhalla-Rising

Valhalla Rising

2010
Drama, Action
1000 AD, for years, One Eye, a mute warrior of supernatural strength, has been held prisoner by the Norse chieftain Barde. Aided by Are, a boy slave, One Eye slays his captor and together he and Are escape, beginning a journey into the darkness.
Amazon VideoApple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelGoogle Play MoviesMUBITubi TV
MUBI Amazon Channel
The Roku Channel
Pluto TV
AMC+
Plex
Plex Player
IFC Films Unlimited Apple TV Channel

Sucked me in, chewed me up, and spit me out...then beat me to a bloody pulp, cut me into ribbons, and left me to die on a boat in the middle of a noisome mist. And I loved every minute of it.
This film has value only as an art piece, though even that aspect feels contrived and pseudo-intellectual. As a movie in the traditional sense it is merely ten minutes of gut-wrenching violence followed by two hours of repetitive, albeit beautiful, visuals of what appear to be Scottish mountains. The amazing camera work help make this watchable, but the lack of identifiable characters, terribly unsteady pacing, and utter absence of plot are flaws that no art film can completely overcome.
A mute Viking warrior and a young boy go on an existential journey to hell in this dark and mesmerizing flick by Nicolas Winding Refn. Brutally violent and achingly beautiful in equal doses, drenched in ominous music and intense bursts of color. It reminded me a lot of Aguirre the Wrath of God, but instead of Klaus Kinski lurching around like a goon, you get Mads Mikkelsen brandishing an axe and staring a hole through one motherfucker after another. Epic.
Aguirre mixed with Gerry, leading to an interesting and hypnotizing but slightly uneven film. The atmosphere is amazing; the gorgeous but haunting landscapes, the uncomfortable dark ambient and the constant sense of danger and isolation go very well together. On the other hand there is barely a story to speak of, and one should be in the mood for a slow and slightly pretentious exploration of primitive man versus the world or be bored to tears.
All Refn does is putting on lots of air and mimicking the effect of infinitely better films (namely Aguirre and Stalker).

Last modified by:metalhankmetalhank on 25 Mar 2019