Wreck-It Ralph
Wreck-It-Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph

2012
Comedy, Family/Kids
A video game villain wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream, but his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives. (imdb)
Franchise: Wreck-It Ralph
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

Pretty good-looking, nostalgic and filled with a pleasing start, and then Moore follows the path of classic Disney narratives -- the hero's journey, even though this is about a bad guy -- instead of embracing what could've been a mesmerizing feature about the world of videogames. Pixar would've made this into an existential essay film on villanism -- and I'm sure it would be damn great.
Infectiously fun, clever, and hilarious, with great characters and a lot of heart. Does for video games what "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" did for old cartoons, only - dare I say - better.
(2014-15 Disneython #46:) Mixes well-drawn character arcs and settings wonderfully fresh and creative yet somehow simultaneously nostalgic and comforting for a cinematic potion that feels like it was brewed just for me. Certainly one of the best of 2012 along with Skyfall and Zero Dark Thirty, and probably the best non-Pixar Disney animation since 1994's The Lion King. Would make a great miniature film festival paired with Scott Pilgrim and Community's 8-bit episode.
I got swept right up into this pastiche of three decades of video game references, because the references weren't the End All. They served the story of surprisingly well-defined and sympathetic characters. What I liked about it was it had its highs, but it also had its lows: this gets dark. But these punctuations smartly serve the redemptive arc well; and it has some of the slyest foreshadowing in recent memory. (!: https://youtu.be/8yt7-qwFUAo?t=1562)
The animation is gorgeous and the characters are all very lovable. Yeah, the story is kind of predictable, but this is the best kid's movie I've seen in awhile. I don't play videogames anywhere near as much as I used to but this tapped into some nice nostalgia.

Submitted bytoro913toro913 on 09 Oct 2012