1973
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Dramatization of the Starkweather-Fugate killing spree of the 1950's, in which a teenage girl and her twenty-something boyfriend slaughtered her entire family and several others in the Dakota badlands (imdb)

Honestly, if Martin Sheen seduced me like that, I'd go along with him too.
The only Malick film which can be said to have a sense of humor, albeit a deeply strange one, the sort that inspires bewilderment instead of hearty laughter. Yet somehow it hits the same elegiac tone that's defined Malick ever since, and a film which could easily have been, in careless hands, a simple portrait of dimwitted killers on the run becomes something very affecting. A romance built on the shakiest of foundations and doomed to fail somehow becomes heartbreaking even in its inevitability.
I found a toaster.
Gorgeously perverse, haunting, captivating. For me, this is the director at his greatest-- when Malick wielded a sense of understatement and of the ironic, to go along with his unrelenting detachment and artistic ethic. Like no other I know of, he evokes an overwhelming sense of wonder, while seemingly mourning the mortality of humankind and its society, the planet, and the galaxy, and the brutal indifference of existence. Completely magnificent.
Badlands is one of those films where the main characters do really horrible things, but because the film is so well made and the characters are otherwise so likeable, it's impossible not to feel at least a bit sympathetic toward them. Martin Sheen is just perfect and Sissy Spacek is very good too. Malick's expert direction shines through every shot and scene. And the film is a damn sight better than that goddamn Natural Born Killers.

Submitted bymhendumhendu on 24 Mar 2006