Godzilla
Godzilla-2014

Godzilla

2014
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
The world's most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence. (imdb)
Franchises: Godzilla, MonsterVerse
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV

Damnit! I waited too long to write this review, and now I can't remember a single thing from the movie.
It seems to me like this movie is an even split between Edwards' desire to homage to the original Toho series, and a producer's checklist of blockbuster character clichés. The fusion is an almost complete failure, to the extent where I'd suggest sticking to the trailers. They make more sense, you get a better Godzilla/length ratio and you'll even see some shots of the monster that they cut from the actual movie to make room for more plot nonsense. So hats off to you, marketing team.
The original teaser for this movie is one of the best I've ever seen, and promised a far more haunting and harrowing experience than what we ultimately got. The great Bryan Cranston does what he can to make us care about the human side of things but exits the movie far too soon. As mentioned by literally everyone, Godzilla's limited screentime is annoying, though the climactic fights are OK. Very much a mixed bag but not unenjoyable, and a damn sight better than Godzilla 1998.
Such a party animal. Dude gets drunk and just passes out in the middle of San Francisco then just walks it off.
suggestion: call the movie "the incredibly boring adventures of bomb defusal guy - featuring godzilla", so no one can get worked up about the lack of the latter in about 3/4 of the movie. the infamous toho legend is reduced to a prop, exchanged for completely unengaging human drama. while giant monsters are fighting epic battles off screen, we are treated to a mix of moping, crying, plotting, and awestruck staring at what we ourselves do not get to see until 5 minutes before the credits roll.

Submitted byedkrakedkrak on 15 Apr 2014