Harry Brown
Harry-Brown

Harry Brown

2009
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
An elderly ex-serviceman and widower looks to avenge his best friend's murder by doling out his own form of justice. (imdb)
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVfuboTVHuluGoogle Play Movies
Vudu
Microsoft Store
Tubi TV
The Roku Channel
Hoopla
Pluto TV
Freevee

Incredibly vicious vigilante film, as most of them are. What sets this apart is the lead. Michael Caine has been in some bad films, I'll admit, and I'll even grant you that this film is pretty average. However, he really shines in his role makes what could have been a passable film into a pretty damn good one.
Barber is a first time director, and on occasions it shows, but for the most part he does a brilliant job here. 'Harry Brown' on occasions over simplifies the issues within London sink estates and the policing of those estates. That said, it hardly matters as Caine is nothing short of inspirational, and after its slow atmospheric start this film evolves into an exciting and suspenseful near masterpiece. One of the best British films of the decade.
Damn, Caine is good. I love how he goes Rorschach style berserk. I got goose bumps during the scene, when he is buying guns. I could freaking smell that shit hole.
I love a solid revenge flick. Michael Caine is awesome and plays a vigilante really well. You can probably guess how it's going to end and how it will unfold but it's still incredibly satisfying to watch him get revenge on so many people. The scene where he's buying the guns has become one of my favorites.
High marks for some excellent scenes, a practically spot on - although nausea-inducing - portrayal of violent gang crime and Michael Caine who is impressive in nearly every single scene. Low marks for the fact that something is seriously missing and the pacing is off in a big way, it all comes together very clumsily despite individually good bits and pieces.

Submitted bypickpocketPickpocket on 12 Oct 2009