The Roku Channel

2012
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates. (imdb)
The Roku Channel

A man jumps out of a space station and lands on a freeway. Let me repeat that. A man jumps out of a space station and lands on a freeway. Okay, just in case you didn't hear me the first two times, a man jumps out of a space station and lands on a freeway. There is nothing more to say......except that a man jumps out of a space station and lands on a freeway.
In a time when most 80s action heroes either are or should be retired, it's down to one Australian character actor to pick up the rein and ham it up to 11. Sure, the plot is asinine and for some reason the leftover lens-flare from Abrams' Star Trek has found its way to every poorly rendered effects shots here, BUT Pearce is an absolute joy every time he opens his mouth.
Virtually every line Pearce utters contains a lame wisecrack. Is 'Lockout' a particularly good film? I suppose not. Did it entertain me and make me nostalgic for the less serious action flicks of the 90s? Sure did.
I think they used that space prison to lock up all the Teal and Orange in the world for crimes against good taste. This movie reached some sort of Stupidity Ceiling but shamelessly kept going upwards, finally reaching Peak Retardation just when my brain was about to liquefy. Features the ugliest looking sci-fi bike chase in history and rips off the Death Star trench run for good measure. Guy Pierce is the only saving grace and will make you touch yourself.
I don't understand - why did the U.S. government spend hundreds of billions of dollars building a space station prison instead of just using one on earth? Why can one prisoner getting ahold of one pistol with one clip take over the whole prison? Why does the space station threaten to crash into earth for no apparent reason? NONE OF THIS MOVIE MAKES SENSE! Still, Guy Pearce's one-liners are hilarious.

Submitted bytoro913toro913 on 27 Feb 2012