1972
Francis Ford Coppola's epic features Marlon Brando in his Oscar-winning role as the patriarch of the Corleone family. Director Coppola paints a chilling portrait of the Sicilian clan's rise and near fall from power in America, masterfully balancing the story between the Corleone's family life and the ugly crime business in which they are engaged... (Paramount Pictures)

1972

Rated 26 Jun 2010
vut
Rated 05 Sep 2009
This a movie to be respected. Unlike many other critics' favorites, it has power and eloquence, and deserves its fame. Also, it manages to be the best of the sequel because of Marlon Brando's breathtaking and engaging performance.
Rated 27 Nov 2016
A great movie that stands the test of time. Though a few moments feel dated, the power of the storytelling remains. From the opening line: "I believe in America" to the donning of the new Godfather, Coppola and Puzo tell a gripping and measured story of power: its dominion, its perils, and its passage from father to son.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
Pretty good, a bit long though.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
What can I say? If you have never watched this movie, do yourself a favor and watch this masterpiece.
Rated 24 Feb 2009
Everything about the movie is perfect down to every single last detail. The directing by Francis Ford Coppola is restrained and elegant, and the acting is so incredible. Marlon Brando is iconic as the Don, but Al Pacino delivers one of his greatest and the undisputed best perfomances I've seen of him. The fantastic supporting cast Robert Duvall, James Cann, John Cazale and Diane Keaton all put in superb work. This film is a true masterpiece, one of the most influential films in American cinema.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
the best movie of all time
Rated 15 Mar 2010
OVERRATED
Rated 30 Aug 2008
A masterpiece. The best there is. Gets better with every viewing.
Rated 07 Sep 2008
It's like, the perfect movie.
Beautifully done mofia classic
Rated 27 Jan 2011
1 Shaqtacular
Rated 24 Jul 2008
THE BEST MOVIE EVER THOSE WHO CALLED IT BORING I DONT NEED AN IQ TEST TO CHECK THEIR INTELLIGENCE
Rated 16 Aug 2013
Rated 10 Nov 2008
They don't make movies like they used to. This is a classic through and through. The characters are deep and interesting. Pacino and Brando are outstanding. If you haven't seen it, you have to see it.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
A masterpiece.
Rated 28 Sep 2010
Arguably the best movie ever made. I woudn't disagree. It's obscenely re watchable. It works on every level and then some more. It can be viewed as an examination on family, fate, honour or the history of America, and it has something deep to say on every one of those issues. It's a feast to the eyes, and by now even if its not your favourite movie, everyone will agree this is one that will remain in the history of the great accomplishments in the arts. One beatiful, entertaining masterpiece.
Rated 24 Apr 2007
One of the greatest flicks of all time.
Rated 24 Mar 2011
Perfect.
Rated 25 Jul 2009
practically reflects the plot of a book by Mario Puzo :)
Just about perfect. Not a note out of tune. Brando shows what he was all about. Magnificent throughout
Rated 24 Jan 2012
what a crazy and emotional movie this is. its a classic for a reason and i almost forget how amazing it is everytime i watch it.
Rated 04 Sep 2014
Francis Ford Coppola's masterful direction combined with Mario Puzo's riveting story, Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola's stirring and memorable score, Gordon Willis's breathtaking cinematography, the universally spectacular performances, what more needs to be said, people?! Even with a running time that's just shy of three hours, the story, narrative and richly written characters have you so captivated, you don't even feel the length of time go by. Review source: silv
Rated 18 Aug 2009
The best film ever made? Quite possibly.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Pretty much perfect in every way. Three hours have never felt so short.
As close to a masterpiece as you can get, The Godfather is essential viewing for any movie goer.
Rated 29 Jan 2008
definitely one of the best cinematic masterpieces of all time! i usually don't like old movies but this is an obvious exception. the acting, story, directing, and screenplay are near perfect. no movie gets this many Academy Award nominations and for good reason. what a legend!
Rated 20 Nov 2010
Pure greatness.
Rated 26 Jun 2010
SHOOTS
Rated 22 Sep 2008
One of the best movies ever. Period.
Rated 17 Apr 2008
Movie perfection.
Rated 22 Jul 2010
One of the best movies of all time. Enough said.
Rated 10 Nov 2014
I mean, this is the essential American narrative, right? Is there any reason to go into detail about why "The Godfather" is perfect?
Rated 26 Jan 2013
Don Corleone losses his elder son and is attacked by rival gang...in this condition, his other son takes the charge and comes in command.he starts punishing the people who killed his brother and attacked his father. With the course of time, he becomes 'The Godfather'
Rated 12 Jun 2008
Epic. Manages to improve on the brilliant book by Mario Puzo. Everything just works in this film: acting, script, music, cinematography. My favourite film of all time.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
Number one of all time.
Rated 16 Sep 2008
Not the greatest film ever, but a decent gangster movie
Rated 13 Feb 2016
Godfather is painfully memorable: from the main music theme to the story and scenes. It draws its strength from building and stressing the inner tensions before the culminations repeatedly (believed to be a blasphemy in nowadays cinema), leaving no loose ends and maintaining pure quality in acting, shooting, story - i.e. everything. What it lacks is emotional attachment due to being so meticulously complete. Is this a contradiction to the above? No. It is an offer so good you can't refuse.
Rated 16 Jun 2008
I'm not quite into this as everyone else is.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Come on. its the GODFATHER!!!
Rated 13 Jan 2011
I love the movie. The music and Al Pacino
Rated 24 Oct 2014
Ok, really good, so old but still drives chils down your spine!!!!! GREAT lines, a plot that showed the way for every other mob-mafia movie, the cast is really nice!!! A masterpiece!!
Rated 10 Nov 2009
Classic.
Rated 21 Feb 2020
Amazing
Rated 13 Oct 2019
"I believe in America" -- and America embraced The Godfather, turning it into a landmark artistic triumph and blockbuster hit. The ultimate family film.
Rated 26 Dec 2010
An extremely intriguing look into one man's struggle with loyalty to his family, and loyalty to his conscience, and having given in to one eventually, his decline into darkness and violence.
Rated 03 Apr 2011
Rated 31 Jan 2023
Epic.
Rated 23 Nov 2016
a feast on the eyes a great script and what a story. A must see film for anyone.
Rated 13 Apr 2010
Great story. That's what I admire in a film.
Rated 28 Feb 2021
Direction, music, photography, acting, writing. It's all in its place to compose one the best movies of all time. Even after almost 50 years it's the best mafia/gangster/drama movie ever shot
Rated 27 Jun 2008
very high up there in my all time favorites
Rated 14 Oct 2008
A truly epic story about family,How Pacino didn't get an Oscar is anyone's guess.
Watching Michael change as the movie progress is the very heart of the movie. One of my all time favorites.
Rated 21 Oct 2010
This is a classic must see movie I think.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Favorite movie of all time. Great acting, great script, great sound track, excellent plot, great stunts. Totally captivating. One of the only movies i've seen like 5 times.
Rated 29 Oct 2011
This is an example of a movie that for me that lived up to the hype. I was engrossed in the story.
Rated 23 Feb 2010
"I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. So you didn't need a friend like me. Now you come and say "Don Corleone, give me justice." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me "Godfather." You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder - for money."
Rated 04 May 2008
Who can ever forget the first time they saw The Godfather. It will stay with you for the rest of your life!
Rated 01 Oct 2010
awesome
Rated 28 Dec 2007
One of the greatest movies ever made.
Rated 05 Oct 2010
just nostalgic for me
Rated 11 May 2009
It's hard to think about anything to nitpick about the movie, but the fact that I knew every beat and line before I saw it diminished my enjoyment a little. Still, it's hard not to be amazed by what Coppola creates here.
Mario Puzo write a classic book that was imortalized by Francis Ford Coppola in this movie, the prefered one of most friend of mine. Violence with glamour, class, in a high-level family history. Don't think, watch it.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
Very well crafted and well made movie. It is considered one of the best films ever. I agree. The Acting with everyone is spectacular and most of the major characters do an amazing job. The writing is so well done and I never get bored with the film. Cinematography is magnificent and delivers a lot of unique shots through out the film. It can get long but it is very interesting to watch. Truly one of the best films out there with great direction, I consider this one of the best gangster films.
Rated 11 May 2009
Moviemaking in its finest.
Rated 03 Mar 2022
Unusually, half of the movie's 10 month development cycle was spent watching the final product.
What to say?! Best movie of all times.
Rated 14 Mar 2007
The lord of all films, a flawless movie. No other film has ever expressed such a powerful demonstration of family bonds, discipline and power. Comparable only with it's sequel and Once Upon a Time in America (1984).
Rated 27 Apr 2009
One of those films you should see before die
Rated 26 Feb 2010
A wonderfully made film (despite its strained production) with great performances, wonderful cinematography and an excellent soundtrack. Had some issues with awkward cuts and a few effects fell flat (likely due to budget and time constraints) but otherwise an excellent film. I couldn't score it higher simply because - while excellently made - it didn't give me the emotional or cognitive gut-punch I need to have it truly branded into my memory.
Rated 19 Aug 2022
Just saw this for the first time! I thought it was very dark but really well made. I totally get the hype.
Rated 13 Jun 2015
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."
Rated 30 Oct 2009
Amazing acting in the epic story of the Corleone family. One of the most famous and critically acclaimed movies of all time, it is well-deserving of its praise, although at times, the story seems to move at too slow of a pace.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
Masterpiece
Rated 18 Aug 2007
A legend. Awesome.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
The original mafia movie! Lucca Sleeps with the fishes.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
Not my favorite movie, but undeniably one of the greatest movies ever filmed.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
brilliant
Rated 25 Apr 2018
"I did not care for The Godfather."
Rated 10 Mar 2009
Honestly I might be a little bias but this is the pinnacle of movie making. Truly an incredible movie with that gave birth to the careers of modern day stars, James Caan, Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, and Robert Duval, and gave a great sendoff to one of the greatest actors of all time Marlon Brando. A film about family and how they are always the ones by your side in the end. Truly Remarkable.
Rated 27 Jul 2011
Greatest movie ever? Possibly, if one is willing to do something as arbitrary as rank art. Violence, family, the American dream, all are themes explored by this incredible acheivement.
Rated 04 May 2008
This is so old, I hardly remember it. I know that I found this entire series very entertaining. I first read the book, then later watched the movie. It came out while I was in college. Gosh I am getting old!
Rated 25 Mar 2011
I'm not sure it's even legal to not like this movie. It's long and some parts aren't exactly exciting, but it's a work of art that I never considered "slow." Marlon Brando is fantastic in what is essentially a five act play. It's always ranked as one of the best and it deserves it. The only movie I've seen that really is a work of art.
Rated 19 Jul 2015
Masterpiece
Rated 07 Dec 2011
Not far from perfection
Rated 14 Apr 2008
GREATEST MAFIA FLICK EVER....BRANDO WAS THE MAN, PACINO WAS KINDA A PUNK BUT HE SHOT SOLAZZO AND THAT COP RIGHT IN THE THROAT....BAD ASS
Rated 02 Nov 2009
Fantastic.
Rated 06 Nov 2010
100 ??? 1000
Rated 17 Feb 2012
I probably would've rated this higher, except I had a fly buzzing in my ear the whole time I watched it.
Astonishingly compelling viewing, a work of genius.
Rated 17 Dec 2010
I
Rated 15 Feb 2010
Awesome movie, although I'll admit it does seem a tad boring at times. A classic, even so.
Rated 26 Nov 2013
It's great if you have all day and don't want to speak to anyone.
Rated 07 Aug 2008
A review? For this? Hah!
Rated 27 Aug 2015
worth the hype
Rated 24 Feb 2007
One of the best movies I've ever seen.
Rated 12 May 2009
Love the Whole series i remember seeing this movie when i was 6.
Rated 02 May 2010
Francis Ford Coppola's epic drama is packed with memorable moments and fantastic perfromances. Coppola makes what's about 2hrs and a half to three hour length and makes it seem less than an hour long. I think it is flaed and at times padded but still is a fascinating and interesting movie.
Rated 08 Dec 2007
powerful and super cool
Rated 09 Feb 2023
Nearly flawless. On the surface, the first installation of the superlative crime saga. Below, a story about how immigrants have to resort to crime for a chance at equality outside a system not designed for their benefit. Losing your family to keep them. Extravagant displays of Italian culture--so much texture, detailed consideration, production value. The music! The writing. The direction. The performances (Is Talia Shire best?). The cast. Good luck topping this.