The Handmaiden
The-Handmaiden

The Handmaiden

2016
Romance, Drama
1930s Korea, in the period of Japanese occupation, a girl (Sookee) is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress (Hideko) who lives a secluded life on an estate with her domineering Uncle (Kouzuki). But the maid has a secret. She and a swindler who poses as a Japanese Count are scheming to get the Lady engaged, rob her fortune, and lock her up in a madhouse. All proceeds according to plan until Sookee starts to truly understand Hideko. (imdb)
Amazon Prime VideoVuduFilmBox+

another dense, vivid, knowingly ridiculous gothic tale, but more stirring than its (still underrated) predecessor STOKER. on one level it's straightforward feminist wish-fulfillment about weapons of oppression repurposed as tools for self-realisation and liberation at the oppressor's expense (male gaze included), but park analogises this with his own artistic mission, attempting to liberate korean identity by twisting its most stifling perspectives and traditions toward progressive ends.
Park's sense of style serves the story well, and the script is a good adaptation of a brilliant novel too, wisely skipping at least one level of twistiness and changing British class struggles to Japanese imperialism but keeping the story set on the women rather than the men manipulating them. Everyone cons everyone and the audience wins.
I can't say I see the hype behind this movie. The story here is okay, with the twists stacking up in too fast of a tempo to have any impact, but the graceful way in which it's presented is impressive. The visual style is undoubtedly tasty but not outstanding like, for example, Oldboy was. Sadly, the lengthy sex scenes suffer from a large dose of male gaze, which makes them border on ridiculousness and sucks all sensuality out of them. Oh and guys, "erotic" does not simply mean "lots of sex".
I really don't like the structure of retelling a hustle several times from different perspectives to reveal what's actually going on. In general it just takes way too long and isn't very clever, if you "fool" me by not actually telling me what's going on that's just you not telling me the story. The twists are too cheap. Anyway, this is actually fantastic and the more I think about it the more I like it so whatever.
Fuck the patriarchy!