The Wind Rises
The-Wind-Rises

The Wind Rises

2013
Drama, Animation
A look at the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II. (imdb)
Max Amazon Channel

A fitting and deeply emotional coda to an enviable career. Miyazaki uses animated technique and subtle cues to elevate very real history (and engineering, of all things), into his usual mold of exquisite cultural fantasy. So as in the best of his films, life becomes something intangible - grander than we typically believe it to be, and as captivating as it should be. It also works, if Caproni is a cipher for Miyazaki himself, and Jiro is, say, Anno Hideaki, as a wistful passing of the torch.
Always preoccupied with the ideals of dreamers in a cruel world, and obsessed with aviation as transcendence, this fictionalized biopic seems a parabolic autobiography of the director himself. A reconciliation of pacifist conviction with national identity. Perhaps saccharine, but infectiously good-natured. There is a level of serenity here that only the Japanese seem able to attain. Even if it's not Miyazaki's coda, it carries the bittersweet air of culmination.
My favorite elements of this film involve the beautiful animation (the mix of colors in some scenes is sublime) and the wonder at human invention. The film also leads me to reflect upon the nature of work and production, and the way that others might appropriate that work in ways we would never endorse. Miyazaki does a nice job creating that tension in Horikoshi--a man always willing to go out of his way to help others, yet who also designed a most destructive instrument of war.
I definitely liked it, but because there's little fantasy elements I wasn't deeply enchanted as I usually am with Miyazaki's work. It's still sweet, poignant, beautifully animated, and has a great score.
This was probably one of my top five most anticipated theatrical experiences of 2014, and I'd say it both did and didn't live up to expectations. It was beautiful to look at and thoughtful and emotional, but it didn't quite sweep me away and certainly didn't sear itself permanently into my imagination like the best of Ghibli/Miyazaki.

37 Collections including 16 Collaborative and 21 Public