Waltz with Bashir
Waltz-with-Bashir

Waltz with Bashir

2008
Drama, Documentary
One night at a bar, an old friend tells director Ari about a recurring nightmare in which he is chased by 26 vicious dogs. Every night, the same number of beasts. The two men conclude that there's a connection to their Israeli Army mission in the first Lebanon War of the early eighties. Ari is surprised that he can't remember a thing anymore about that period of his life. Intrigued by this riddle, he decides to meet and interview old friends and comrades around the world... (IMDB)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV

At first I doubted the need to do this film in rotoscope-style animation: it allows for poetic touches, but it didn't seem necessary and I thought it might be more effective without it. But the stunning ending removed all doubt. It's a bold and fascinating choice. I'm left with the sense that the ending is something like a "money shot", however, and that leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. What I really liked about this film were the comments on memory, and I wanted a little more of that.
The animation looked nice, but the story was completely uninteresting. I felt like the archive footage at the end was really out of place. I understand why they would use it, but why not put it in the style of the rest of the movie? And for that matter, why not just make the rest of the film live action? That's right, because it would be *insanely* boring because you'd have nothing interesting to look at as well.
The lack of a "real story" is irrelevant and the animation most certainly is not sloppy. Waltz with Bashir is a stylish personal study on war and the effect of its cruelty on an individual. Folman uses the form of animation exceptionally well, stepping into reality only in the end: not to underline any political commentary but simply to tie the film to reality (since it's form is quite stylized at times).
People liked this animation? If so, I have some pretty cool flash videos for you to watch, you might like them. The film is very redundant, going through the same motions over and over. He made his point within the first 10 minutes and just keeps repeating it constantly. It probably would've been the greatest 20 minute short film ever if he realized he didn't have much to say, but at 90 minutes it feels like a waste of time. Ending was solid but nothing I haven't seen before.
I was worried that the animation style was going to be nothing more than a gimmick to try to elevate an uninteresting topic, but fortunately I was completely wrong. It uses it to blur the lines between dramatization and reality, as well as using touches of fantasy, without ever letting the viewer forget that this is a documentary.

Submitted byschnofelschnofel on 12 Aug 2008