A Prophet
A-Prophet

A Prophet

2009
Drama, Crime
A young Arab man is sent to a French prison where he becomes a mafia kingpin.

An exceptional film centering on an exceptional raw performance from its central character, a 19-year-old French Arabic prisoner played by Tahar Rahim. Watch out for this young actor! He carries the film like a veteran. The supporting cast are all top-notch too and the atmosphere created is realistic and brutal. Despite running 2.5 hours, the film is enthralling and feels shorter. My only complaint is that Malik's dreams and ambitions for life after his prison term were not explored at all.
Nothing in it is particularly surprising or new, but it's an uncommonly well-made, well-acted and involving prison / crime saga. It's two and a half hours long and I still wanted more when the credits started rolling. I'd love to see a sequel. (Hey, if Godfather II worked, I don't see why Prophet II couldn't.) Definitely was robbed of Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars. My only complaint: the bright white subtitles that frequently got washed out against the background. Unacceptable.
A very solid movie that never quite breaks into brilliance.
Intense scenes abound in this prison film meets gangster film. The supernatural elements I didn't need; the same goes for the Ryad subplot. Also, some of the reasoning was peculiar (e.g., why would Cesar put Malik on a plane when he could make a phone call etc.) and the titular concept of Malik as a prophet virtually unexplored. Too bad the movie isn't tighter - Arestrup and Rahim are wonderful, really.
I made the mistake of watching this the day after the superior, sharper and thematically similar Danish prison movie 'R'. In comparison 'A Prophet' feels less real, just a tad staged in the latter half and somewhat over-forced dramatically. And way too long. Definitely still a forceful and original coming of age-story driven by frighteningly well-acted performances - but not quite the truly captivating masterpiece I expected.

Last modified by:yugyug on 15 Jun 2016