Duck Soup

Duck Soup

1933
Musical

Duck Soup is the best Marx Bros film because it's the closest to pure comedy. No time wasted on romance between characters we don't care about, or plotting a story that really doesn't matter, or interminable musical interludes from Harpo or Chico. Even the two songs are humorous. Wonderfully witty and tight.
Rated 11 Apr 2019
Despite starting with what is popularly argued as being their best film, somehow my first real exposure to the iconic Marx Brothers was sadly severely disappointing. Maybe the characters have just been diluted over time by countless imitations, or maybe ultimately their particular brand of comedy just isn't quite for me. Although I appreciated the political satire and witty word play, sadly at best the jokes were mildly amusing, but then most of the slapstick was more frustrating than funny.
The greatest comedy of all time, and the greatest film of the 1930s. This film builds to such a crescendo of hilarity that at the end of the movie cinema audiences tend to burst into spontaneous applause.
Rated 06 Aug 2008
The Marx Bros are not for me. Most people say Duck Soup is their best film. I liked A Night at the Opera just slightly more. I will not watch the Marx Bros again. If this was the best humor available during the Great Depression then life during the 1930s was truly a depressing time. If you like this type of humor, watch Mel Brooks films or watch Robin Williams when he is interviewed by Letterman.
Rated 24 Aug 2015
While I expected a Laurel&Hardy or Chaplin-like slapstick routine, the result was far less pleasing. The Marx Brothers infuse their film with such an overabundance of jokes, mostly dialogue-driven, that you won't have the chance to laugh. The joyful feeling I get from watching early comedies is completely gone and makes place for the typical annoyance I get from watching clowns throw pies at one another. I do like puns. I do like satire. But too much is simply too much.
One of the funniest movies ever made. Completely hilarious throughout, and it lacks the tedious interludes and plot constraints that a lot of other Marx Bros. movies have.
Rated 26 Jul 2009
Not funny at all. Much of this material was borrowed by other later comedians and cartoonists. My first Marx Brothers movie. Will be the last. Groucho insults everyone for no reason. Harpo pulls mean tricks behind other character's backs. Chico tells really really bad jokes. Zeppo plays straight man. Cap stone of this horror show was the racist joke about the origins of black people, euphemistically referred to as "darkies". This period of cinema should be an embarassament to everyone involved.
Rated 16 Apr 2010
The only real positive I can think of is the mirror scene, but that only lasted for a few minutes. Everything feels so staged and not genuine at all. Groucho was particularly terrible and by proxy made the others seem less annoying. I realize they are trying to be funny but being cruel and heartless to everyone you encounter isn't funny - it just makes you a jackass. Pretty much the definition of overrated. And God! What a shitty ending.
Rated 03 Nov 2013
Man, the Marx Brothers are pretty much dicks, aren't they?
Rated 06 Sep 2012
I'm not really a fan of their style of humor, but I appreciate learning about the roots of film comedy. I did like the mirror scene quite a bit. Also never realized how mean-spirited Groucho's humor is...
The Marx Brothers were "keeping it real" before anyone knew what "keeping it real" meant.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
I don't know if the humor is too old or not just for me.. Didn't almost laugh throughout the movie.. One liners might have been good at the day but too cliche for our time.. So i got bored even though the movies an hour long.. Not for me i guess..
Rated 08 Dec 2009
The most immortal of the Marx Brothers' madnesses. McCarey makes some comic coherence out of the outrageous puns and sight gags.
Rated 11 May 2010
Ok, this just ain't my bag. Some parts, such as the famous mirror gag and some of the hat shuffling stuff with the lemonade salesman, worked for me, but for the most part I just didn't find it all that funny. Very consistently, it was the physical and visual comedy that worked, while the endless quips, jokes and insults bored me. There's a lot to admire about the craft on display in this film, but I prefer what I've seen from Chaplin and Buster Keaton over this.
Rated 30 Jun 2011
The Marx Brothers prove that trolling is timeless.
Rated 28 Mar 2012
Well that was disappointing. Maybe one or two light chuckles, and for such a relentless assault of antics that says something.
Rated 30 Apr 2012
I feel filthy for not liking this more. It picked up after a rough opening ten minutes but it never went beyond mildly amusing...and at times it was plain irritating. I don't find Harpo funny at all. Some good one-liners and sight gags, I guess. At least it's short.
Rated 30 Nov 2015
It has all the hallmarks of a Marx Bros Film: Groucho is a racist, Harpo is a rapist and all three of them are unprovokedly assholes to everyone around them. As for political commentary, this film does carry some of the general cynicism people had during the Depression, but anyone who says there's more than that is just reading too far into things. As you can tell, I've never really enjoyed the Marx's much before, and this, their supposed "masterpiece" failed to win me over.
Rated 31 Mar 2007
I used to think the Marx Brothers were hilarious. Now they just seem cruel
Funniest film of all time.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Absolutely hilarious. The Marx brothers are genius. The mirror scene is one of the funniest things i've ever seen in my life.
Rated 25 Aug 2007
(This was my first Marx movie to give you some perspective to my mini-review) From what i can remember it had a couple of funny wordplays, but i never laughed out loud or something, just funny.. like ..'Hah'. The character that Harpo Marx played was quite annoying, almost seems like people back then were easily amused, or it's not my kind of 'humor' - i thought it was a bit childish at times. Still, it's decent, but a bit disappointing for me (since i had a PSI of 96/100)
Rated 17 Feb 2018
Rufus T. Firefly: "You're a brave man. Go and break through the lines. And remember, while you're out there risking your life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in be in here thinking what a sucker you are."
Rated 14 Nov 2018
How much comedy is too much comedy? I felt tired after this film ended, and it was only 68 minutes.
Rated 05 Feb 2011
There are only a handful of scenes in the entire movie I would call "funny," and even those are just mildly amusing. Might be the most overrated comedy or classic film I've seen.
Rated 26 Apr 2011
Huh? So this is everyone's favourite Marx Brothers movie? Yeah I don't get that, there are a few I'd put higher. Know what I really didn't like in this movie? The scenes where Harpo and Chico are harassing that vendor. Those scenes become kind of mean spirited after a while. They're just knocking shit out of the man's hands for no reason and ruining his day. They were acting so cruelly that it actually took me out of the movie.
Rated 12 Dec 2012
On one hand barely a beat goes by without a laugh, on the other hand it's barely a movie, this movie's so bare it should get dressed. Just like me: I watched this movie in my pyjamas, it was a terrible idea - I should have used a DVD Player. Play her? I hardly know her! Speaking of playing, whats with the terrible musical numbers? It's like someone was handed a music sheet, feather and some ink, and they ended up ill with syfillis. Syfill is? Well she was, but she got better, the music didn't.
Rated 28 Mar 2013
A geriatric sort of "humour", akin to rubbish jokebooks of yore, plus the cringeworthy antics of Harpo & Chico, aka the mean-spirited retard psychopaths straight out of hell (my sympathies for the poor lemonade vendor). Didn't even make me smirk a single time.
Rated 22 Mar 2007
To be the kind of person who can walk into a room and turn anything anybody says into the punchline for a joke...this is the dream.
Rated 28 May 2007
A hilarious old-fashioned comedy-musical from one of the greatest comedy teams in history. Also one of the only movies ever to satirize war. My favorite part? Harpo's arguments with Chico and Zeppo in the streets.
Hail Freedonia!
Rated 21 Nov 2018
The rapid-fire puns, the political satire and the overall spirit of anarchy make this film still quite entertaining, but even with its short running time some of the slapstick sequences feel drawn out. The lack of anyone to root for lets the film seem a little mean-spirited.
Rated 05 Sep 2008
This one is just awesome, quite probably the best Marx Brothers of all. Groucho's verbal jabs are so amazingly bold and fresh it never gets old. There's slapstick to go around and just plain silliness galore. There are current-day comedies that seem more dated than this.
Rated 31 Dec 2020
So totally hilarious. Pure enjoyment.
Rated 07 Nov 2018
Whereas the physical humor of Chaplin and Keaton never really got old – arguably because it was never again done so well – the dialogue-heavy humor of Duck Soup has aged rather poorly. Most of the jokes have nothing to do with the story or the characters, making the movie feel less like a movie and more like a comedy show. Some of the more absurdist jokes are great – the mirror scene, for example – but way too many of the attempts at humor fell flat for me.
Rated 07 Feb 2009
After "A Night At The Opera" I thought I hated The Marx Brothers, but after "Duck Soup" I realize I only hate Groucho, the rest, well they're not terrible, but every other aspect of this movie is neglected in hopes that The Marx Brothers' special (and only minutely entertaining) brand of humor will make up for the apparent disregard of anything else of value...well, it does not.
Rated 11 Feb 2009
How many times have you seen that mirror scene redone? Or for that matter, how many times have you seen numerous portions of this movie redone? Just brilliant stuff all around.
Rated 07 Jul 2009
A series of good skits and some of the best insults you'll ever hear--just don't hope for a plot.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
I enjoy watching this, but really have to be in the right mood to find it funny. A truly iconic piece of cinema however.
Rated 04 Sep 2009
The Marx Bros prove you can make a war satire out of almost nothing but puns and physical humor. It can be a bit overly staged or absurd, but it also can reach moments of brilliance.
Rated 07 Sep 2009
Marx Brothers classic. Timeless
Rated 08 Sep 2009
Funniest movie ever? Probably.
Rated 12 Oct 2009
How cam you not love this?
Rated 03 Nov 2009
My favourite Marx Brothers' film
Rated 05 Dec 2009
You'll get a lot of laughs between Groucho's fast-talking wisecracks and Harpo's slapstick, but the plot loses focus and just feels like an ADD-fueled machine as it goes on. At least it was short.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Both a monument to silliness and a condemnation of the silliness of war.
Rated 17 Feb 2010
Harpo is a complete asshole, but I do love his scissors gag.
Rated 13 Aug 2019
Arguably the best known Marx collaboration is an enjoyable enough outing for the brothers, though (and this is beside the point) the lack of plot and structure means that it ultimately becomes a series of revue skits and quips, rather than creating and developing a comic tension, which becomes wearying after a while. Still, some great and memorable scenes, especially the hilarious mirror sequence which does indeed build a considerable amount of comic tension (and with Chico's perfect capper!)
Rated 10 Jul 2010
A very funny fim that is incredibly original. I didnt like the last 15 minutes or so. The war scene... just didnt work for me. Great film none the less.
Rated 29 May 2011
One of the funniest films ever made.
Rated 21 Jun 2011
An insightful documentary of the G.W. Bush years. The scene near the end where the Coalition of the Willing are summoned to help is one of my favourites. Starring Harpo Marx as Dick Cheney and Bob Saget as George W. Bush.
Rated 04 Aug 2011
Not every joke is great, but "Duck Soup" is teeming with witty one-liners, manic physical comedy, biting political satire and sheer craziness, moves at breakneck speed, and has cast a huge influence on comedy: the hilarious, iconic scene with the mirror reminded me of an incident in Benigni's "Johnny Stecchino", the one with the safe that was actually a radio appears in Edwards's "The Return of the Pink Panther", and Groucho's cynicism has clearly helped Woody Allen shape his on-screen persona.
Rated 13 Jul 2012
It's a fun movie, but the overall silliness got overwhelming and tiring in the end.
Rated 10 Feb 2019
My first Marx Bros. movie. Harpo Marx was very annoying. A lot of clever wordplay. The racism caught me off guard: "My father was a little headstrong, my mother was a little armstrong. The Headstrongs married the Armstrongs, and that's why darkies were born." Fav scenes: war song and mirror scene.
Rated 05 Jan 2013
I figured I ought to watch at least one Marx Brothers film, and this one is usually hailed as one of their best. It uses the backdrop of war between two neighboring countries as a platform to deliver an endless stream of sight gags, physical comedy and snappy one liners. Groucho gets most of the press, but the mute clown Harpo was pretty much the star of the show IMO. His mirror routine and hat switching bits were timeless and funny. Most of Groucho's patter, not so much.
Completely nonsensical slapstick isn't my kind of comedy, I guess.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 98
Rated 30 Mar 2018
I'm normally a fan of 'cheesy' humour but my response to this movie was... lukewarm. There's a few decent sketches and some clever wordplay but i only really laughed two or three times. There's virtually no story, the music number is overlong and the fat jokes at the expensive of a normal-looking woman are painfully unfunny. If this is their best movie i think we can safely say Karl was the funniest Marx brother. ?_?
You know how some comedy movies throw as many jokes at you, hoping some of it sticks? This movie is what happens when everything sticks. I can't think of too many movies that stand the test of time better than Duck Soup.
Comic genius is defined by the Marx Brothers, providing the bench mark against which all other comedic forces must be judged.
One of the best comedies ever made. Catchy songs and hilarious slap stick not to mention the Marx Brothers typical word play.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Marx Brothers, nuff said.
Rated 17 Nov 2007
excellent marx brothers comedy ~ prolly my favorite.
Rated 09 Apr 2021
one of the funniest movies ever made!
Rated 28 Jul 2023
Absolute chaos. Absolute scenes.
Rated 26 Sep 2008
Ahhh the Marx Brothers. Heard a story that Harpo went to the wrong employment office and they refused to believe who he was. he had to come bcak in costume and chase the satff around the room.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 14 Feb 2009
The Marx brothers, they really can make people laugh.
Rated 11 Mar 2009
Humor in a frantic pace, it seems to an old cartoon of the Looney Tunes. A movie immortal and totally revolutionary of comedy. Until today, much copied.
Rated 16 Mar 2009
The Marx Brothers satiric masterpiece (which failed at the box office). Jam-packed with the classic anarchic and irreverent Marx shtick.
Rated 23 May 2009
Not my type of humor particularly
Rated 06 Jul 2021
Like most early Marx films, Duck Soup is less a film than a medium for the brothers to let their characters run wild. All four brothers are at the top of their game. The direction from a young Leo McCarey occasionally attempts to break from the Marx Brothers' vaudevillian blocking and delivery. Other times, it feels like one is watching a stage performance or early television show. The supporting cast is mostly forgettable, outside of fifth Marx Brother Margaret Dumont. Great for Marx fans.
Rated 23 Mar 2014
Rated 05 Sep 2009
Charming and funny. Absolutely timeless
Rated 01 Jul 2021
Pure comedy from start to finish. Dated jokes and cringy musical numbers aside, the jokes are like a train; nonstop.
Rated 18 Feb 2014
More pun-ny than funny. Definitely a few classic one liners and routines, though I feel it is much too short and lacks transitions and/or connections between scenes.
Rated 22 Nov 2009
Without any logic. But totally hilarious at times.
Rated 04 Jun 2016
Hail, Hail Freedonia!
Rated 05 May 2023
This movie is seriously 90 years old, so anybody expecting to get belly aches might be up for disappointment, but there’s still a shocking amount of jokes that land. There’s also an absolute „wait, what?!?“ moment that seems pretty damn racist but I’ll have to do some research on that.
Rated 16 Jun 2010
Not the rip-roaring laugh-per-second riot some make it out to be, but nonetheless an entertaining and fun movie. I appreciate the talent of these guys, and a handful of the gags/lines did make me chuckle.
Rated 23 May 2015
Some of the best slapstick and punnery out there, but as a package, it left a bit to be desired, from the pacing to the musical elements.
Rated 01 Feb 2014
it can be viewed as both a straight comedy and a crisp (without trying to be particularly intelligent) satire of the lead-up to war. overly silly but that makes it rather endearing. also, the most famous gags (apparently) such as the mirror one and the lemonade one didn't interest me much - it was the wordplay that was most amusing. so many quips were fired every minute that even if half of them didn't stick there were still often times where breathing was rather difficult.
Rated 21 Aug 2010
Loved the vivid use of puns and the satire. Though most of the dialogues seemed staged and unnecessary. It seemed like they did try too desperately to be funny with some insults, well its not my cup of tea even though I like sarcasm. On second thought, the mirror scene and the lemonade scene were true LOL moments.
Rated 29 Aug 2010
The Marx Brothers: everything the Three Stooges were not. I've only seen a couple of theirs, but this is my favorite.
Rated 15 Oct 2010
Stripped of anything except pure comedy, Duck Soup throws so many jokes and gags around that you'll have to like at least some of them.
Rated 21 Nov 2010
Rapidly funny.
Rated 14 May 2019
The first half-hour is barely watchable. It got a bit better later.
Rated 30 Apr 2016
Very good stuff. Unfortunately, I don't care much for Harpo.
Rated 27 Apr 2015
This feels like an SNL movie--sketch after sketch weaved thinly together into a feature-length film. It doesn't really work, but some of the individual sketches are hilarious.
Rated 13 Feb 2011
I can't stop laughing.
Rated 06 Mar 2015
Excellent.
Rated 16 Sep 2011
There's the one line that makes me cringe or I'd have to give this a perfect score. We aren't subjected to dubious charms of the later MGM musical production numbers and plot conventions, nor are we given the stagy limitations of the first two, or the distraction of the admittedly pretty Thelma Todd replacing straight woman Margaret Dumont within Monkey Business and Animal Crackers. So many great lines, the mirror scene, and Marx boys untethered by any real sentiment.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#104
Rated 26 Dec 2011
A little overrated, but it does combine all the Marx Bros. elements more seamlessly than the other films. The straight side actually adds to the film for once, Margaret Dumont is a perfect target and Raquel Torres was gorgeous, but I do wish Zeppo had more to do. The gags aren't always as effective as they should be, and some are outright archaic and alien (for example: the "darkies" joke everyone born after 1899 will think is racist is actually a reference to a very anti-racist song).
Rated 25 Jan 2012
Probably the definitive Marx brothers movie. There are a few memorable songs here (though generally not as good as some others, like Night at the Opera), but the humor here is really at its peak. Some of the gags, like the one with Groucho and Harpo in the "mirror" still get mimicked today. Thankfully, none of the humor really gets dated, so it's as good today as it was in the 30s.
Rated 23 Feb 2016
Star Rating: ★★★★
Rated 06 Jul 2012
It was continuously clever and moderately funny, but for some reason it didn't rise above that level for me. I could appreciate it but chuckled maybe twice.
Rated 08 Jul 2012
A few funny jokes can't make up for the endless stream of terrible ones.
Rated 31 Jul 2012
komedi, müzikal (az sarki var), slapstick, fiziksel, sözlü ve absürt komedi, casus, basbakan, mahkeme, casus, ayna karsisinda adam sahnesi, tekerleme ile gönüllü secme sahnesi, sessiz olma konusunda ikaz sahnesi (Gulyabani filminide hatirlatiyor) (kralicenin istegiyle Fredonia basbakan olan Rufus siradisi uygulamalara imza atar. Bu arada Sylvania ülkesi Freedonia'yi ele gecirmek icin sapsal iki casus-köstebek göndermistir.)
Rated 18 Jan 2013
Anarchic, absurd and relentless.