2013
Greta Gerwig stars as Frances, an apprentice in a dance company who wants so much more than she has but lives life with unaccountable joy and lightness. This modern fable from Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale, Greenberg) explores youth, friendship, class, ambition, failure and redemption. (tiff.net)

2013

Rated 14 Feb 2020
Appears to fulfill some hipster fantasy of whimsically travelling to Paris to spiritually rejuvenate from the soul-eroding profession of dancing. I was almost on board via Gerwig's performance but the film always felt a little too precious about itself to really connect with.
Rated 18 Jun 2014
Gonna go out on a limb and say this wasn't a comedy. Maybe it was if it was from a retarded alternative comic who acts like their sardonic dead pan instantly makes them clever and sarcastic when it really just makes them boring since they don't actually have any good jokes. I want to cut both writers' fingers off so they can never write again. Then I can purchase a crossbow to shoot my eyes out because then I'll never have to see another film that can pretend its deep by being black and white.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
Baumbach and Gerwig apply Godard's 'make a movie to criticise another movie' statement to basically the entire mumblecore movement and succeed in leaps and bounds. Frances is rather typically flawed but her genuine enthusiasm makes her immensely likeable, and her travels are very charming to watch, with her eventual settling down an extremely satisfactory conclusion. Almost effortlessly captures a light, cheerful mood where so many other films have tipped over into annoying.
Rated 06 Dec 2013
I wanted to love this and I'm not quite sure why I didn't. I still liked it a lot, it was funny and expectedly awkward, but there was something inauthentic about the whole thing that undermined the otherwise very naturalistic performances. Individually every scene works, but as a whole something rings false, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Rated 08 Aug 2013
Quite a few good moments in this ode to female friendship, but after a while the character study runs a little dry, and the absence of narrative progression comes to seem something less than a virtue. The protagonist's little triumphs in the final scenes, however low-key the presentation, seem conventional and predictable, almost as if the director has begrudgingly come to accept the inevitability of bowing to the dictates of Hollywood storytelling.
Rated 01 Aug 2013
This film has taught me a valuable lesson in not relying too much on film critics and the dangers of the critic 'herd mentality'. This was like an episode of Friends without any jokes. It was bland, self-indulgent and pretentious - like listening to somebody moan about their psychological issues for 90 mins. A much better alternative to this would be to watch the brilliant Laura Dern in Enlightened, which has sadly been cancelled...
Rated 27 Sep 2013
Critics must hold somewhat scattered NYC hipsters in especially high regard given the level of praise heaped on this. The 1st 30 minutes of unfunny dithering unspool like an inside joke between snarky Williamsburg 20-somethings & its hard 2 imagine any1 other than Lena Dunham acolytes enjoying it. Fortunately things become relatable & acquire a much needed sense of urgency when the movie actually becomes about SOMETHING (i.e. coming 2 terms w/ the realization that ur reach has exceeded ur grasp)
Rated 21 Jun 2013
A movie so effortlessly enjoyable that it makes you question why you ever liked movies that weren't this perfect. The directing, acting, cinematography, and music were all so perfect. Just...PERFECT!
Rated 18 Dec 2013
Makes the baffling decision to give no real emotional setup, and thus no weight, to the friendship that sets everything off, making it seem like a huge waste of time. Every one of their conversations is flat-out boring, and the conversations with others just go in circles. Some glimmer of Frances' character potential appears in her more impulsive moments, such as the Paris trip, but it's not enough to turn this around.
Rated 19 Jun 2013
Frances is a (mostly) likable, quirky and charming character - an aimless 27-year-old whose dream job as a dancer isn't going to work out, whose roommate/best friend is moving out, and who just generally needs to get her shit together. So, for an hour and a half, we watch her come to terms with these facts and, in the end, get her shit together. Meanwhile, she has (mostly) uninteresting conversations with her (mostly) uninteresting and unlikable friends. A good character given nothing to do.
Rated 18 Sep 2019
I watched this in the middle of a weeks-long depressive episode, and you know what? I actually felt better. Frances taught me that it's okay to not have everything figured out, to be awkward at dinner parties, to fail at things and try again. I think on a deeper level this film has a criticism of the spiritual emptiness and alienation of late capitalism, but on a surface level, it's one of the sunniest, most inspiring, most feel-good movies I've ever seen. So, thanks, Frances.
Rated 11 Nov 2015
More navel-gazing mumblecore bullshit that reminds us New York City is still the center of the universe, while the children of celebrities pretend to understand what it's like to not be the child of a celebrity, often riding that fine line between parody and sincerity for much of its duration (though trailing more into the latter as the film progresses, thankfully).
Rated 07 Mar 2014
It's like an episode of Friends directed by Godard
Rated 09 Sep 2020
A well made and often interesting observational film, though I found Frances (and many of her acquaintances) fairly unrelatable & frustrating. I'm sure there are flighty and rudderless people like this in the world, I just tend to avoid them. However, there's some interesting commentary on class and social media impact on personal relationships to be found, which grounds things a bit. Gerwig's acting is great, despite my complaints about her character. The ending adds a few points for me.
Rated 01 Jun 2013
What starts off as awfully twee (to my eyes, at least) develops into an amusing--and relatable--look at Frances' (Greta Gerwig) struggles with roommates, employment, and her own awkwardness. Gerwig co-wrote the script with director Noah Baumbach, and it's a very honest portrayal both of the New York hipster set and of the emotional conflicts Frances must deal with--in other words, Gerwig wrote herself a good role, and is excellent in it. The B&W cinematography results in some lovely shots.
Rated 18 Dec 2013
I would have liked this movie more had it not been for the ending, which seems to confirm that our protagonist is 'special' and 'deserving', which isn't necessarily false, just typical of a story about an aimless person finally finding their ground. It's cool that this was shot with a $2k camera, though.
Rated 07 Aug 2022
Too affected and precious by half and too in love with its characters, and their self-indulgent quirks/whines, to bring much practical insight to their situations and mind-sets. The silky B&W cinematography makes it a pleasure to look at, providing a beautiful showcase for Gerwig, who inhabits her flighty and frustrating character convincingly; her and her friends would not be out of place in a 70s Woody Allen effort (and the MANHATTAN shout-out makes that comparison unavoidable).
Rated 07 Jul 2013
I wish I had a friend like Greta Gerwig, so I'd have someone whom I could play chess, engage in frivolous conversations and accidentally start a forest fire with.
Rated 23 Jul 2014
It's an interesting mix of the French New Wave, mumblecore and the 70's films of Woody Allen. Unlike 'Tiny Furniture', this is a competently acted, aesthetically pleasing, and keenly observed look at the growing pains of a young woman dealing with the frustrations of not having her personal and professional life sorted. It's nice to see an awkward female character that is arguably more annoying than cute, but despite its episodic structure, the final reel is disappointingly conventional.
Rated 30 Dec 2019
It's amazing what time will do. When I first saw this, I disliked it for the same reasons I loved it on my second viewing.
Rated 13 Nov 2013
To my surprise, I liked it for Gerwig more than Baumbach.
Rated 01 Feb 2023
Life sure can be life sometimes.
Rated 12 Dec 2013
Not without a certain mojo. But ultimately undateable.
Rated 29 Nov 2019
Greta's character is so well-written that it scared me how much she reminded me of some people I know.
Rated 06 Jun 2013
Points off for the Carax "Modern Love" rip-off/homage. Also is it weird that i felt like this was designed for me to relate to but i feel like i relate to Greenberg much more/basically hated all of these New York asshole characters? Felt maybe more Gerwig than Baumbach/blatant Allen cira-Manhattan homage. Basically higher-tier mumblecore with better cinematography. Still way better than Lena Dunham.
Rated 13 Aug 2013
The impossible equation: grow the fuck up, and be true to yourse
Rated 04 Dec 2014
Someone's a fan of Woody Allen! Shoot, there are plenty worse things to be. But, you know, that's unfair to Baumbach because what he does here with these characters and this woman's story is really his own wonderful, little thing. As a newcomer to his work, he definitely has my attention. Gerwig, however, has had it for awhile now. Refreshing to spend some time with a flawed character who you may actually enjoy spending time with. A genuinely funny, lively and beautifully shot shaggy dog story.
Rated 07 Jun 2013
Okay, this one's hard to talk about because as much as I enjoy it, I realize it's dependent on "connecting" with the protagonist. Feeling like your friends have their lives in order and yours is a hopeless mess hits close, and it gives the film emotional meat beyond the "struggling 20somethings in New York" bones. I guess you could say this is like a glossy mumblecore, but there's a sweetness and admiration for the characters that's missing from the forced pathos of Swanberg.
Rated 25 May 2013
It's always refreshing to see a film that perfectly captures the feeling of being young and aimless. Fantastic storytelling.
Rated 21 Oct 2019
?ZM?R GÖZTEPEN?ND?R!
Rated 10 Feb 2014
Frances Sigh. This movie starring Greta Gerwig is so pointless. It was like watching Greta's movie "Greenberg" again but with a gender swap. I love Gerwig but these pointless films that just follow people around in their boring lives needs to stop...
Rated 27 Dec 2013
I want to be surrounded by people who burst into tears when Frances and Sophie smile at each other at the end of this little gem of a movie...
Rated 11 Dec 2013
The scene in which Frances tries to buy a ticket to Puss in Boots as Every 1's a Winner plays is one of the best scenes in any movie. I wish the rest was as great.
Rated 17 Dec 2013
The throwaway line spoken about Adam Driver's character, "he's into transportation," had me crying from laughter. Also, I was on the razor's edge between crying and not crying for the entire last 10 minutes of the film. The emotional kind of crying, this time. It's so good. I could easily see myself falling into the trap of rewatching this movie ever year or two.
Rated 01 Aug 2013
This could have fallen down the twee hole, but somehow avoids it and ends up becoming the thing that inspired me to quit my job and take up the life of an unsuccessful twenty-something dancer.
Rated 19 May 2014
There were many things I liked about this film, none of which included the plot.
Rated 04 Jan 2015
I didn't want to embrace the final few minutes because the ends were tied a little too neatly, but dammit if they still don't make me cry.
Rated 25 Mar 2018
"Frances Ha" is an overwhelming depiction of what it's like to transition through a period of life that many use to "find themselves", without the aid of the people who meant the most to us through our formative years. It shows the closest of friends being pulled apart, as well as their inevitable gravitation back to one another, and nothing convinces me that Greta Gerwig has her finger on the collective pulse of an entire generation more than the honesty and heartache of its portrayal here.
Rated 10 Aug 2013
Such an adorable, sincere and cool take on friendship and lonerism and loserism by Baumbach. Not since Bridesmais we had the pleasure to see this kind of confidence in a comedy about girls. Greta shines in every frame, even though it all looks like downhill. She's not a good dancer, she gets drunk too easily, she's lost her best friend to a dude that wears old baseball hats, she broke up with her boyfriend because of a silly fight -- but, see, she is a 27 year old undateable tall and kind soul.
Rated 07 Jan 2014
I have some reservations about Frances' sudden turnaround at the end, but it's otherwise excellent - Frances is both empathetic and at the same time incredibly frustrating, often for the same reasons e.g. her short-sightedness and stubborn refusal to ground herself. It's often like watching Woody Allen: The (Post) College Years. The B&W cinematography is really great.
Rated 12 Oct 2015
A young film, finding warmth and passion in a generation so often lamented for being aimless and aloof. It's a tradition for dumb old people to complain about the youth, but this film speaks to a particular time, place, and perspective.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
It starts out flighty, yet fun, but then the final act packs the emotional wallop that you want from a Baumbach movie. Gerwig (and her script) are charming, and it has great ideas about the changes in friendship and relationships that come with being in your late 20's... something that really resonates with me right now. Best of 2013 (so far).
Rated 14 Dec 2020
Greta Gerwig brings such buzzing energy and such heart to the character of Frances and she is more than matched by Baumbach's filmmaking. The story of a person who's a mess might not seem fresh, but the familiar beats are treated with such specificity and humour that I enjoyed myself thoroughly watching it.
Rated 15 Jul 2013
A movie so honest it hurts, and a good amount of the hurt will also come from laughing.
Rated 16 Nov 2013
Primeiro filme que vejo do Baumbach (se não contar os roteiros com Wes Anderson) e gostei... Há muito tempo não via um filme leve como esse, estava até desacostumada. Com direito a icônica referência a Leos Carax, François Truffaut e ao cinema francês em geral.
Rated 08 May 2015
Baumbach's directing and editing here takes on a frenetic energy that perfectly mirrors Gerwig's performance without calling attention to itself. His best film since Squid and the Whale.
Rated 23 Aug 2013
Too bad the protagonist is mostly unrelatable and unlikeable. You're 27, broke, a pretty shitty dancer, and you're obviously not going to make it. So just stick with the dancing and don't try to at least supplement your income with anything outside of that. Then travel to Paris for a day on credit even though you know it's a terrible idea and you have nothing to do there. I don't think I've met anyone who acts this irrationally. Otherwise, a fine film. But it was ruined for me.
Rated 02 Nov 2013
Başka Sinema - Rexx: Sinemayı seven bir film, orası kesin. Ciddi bir konuyu hafif, uçucu bir üslupla anlatırken, sempatik ve samimi diyalogları, sevilesi karakterleri ve nostaljiyle moderni birleştiren ilginç atmosferiyle ağızda hoş bir tat bırakıyor.
Rated 10 Nov 2013
Baumbach's finest achievement, which is saying more than I realized when I first said it. But really.
Rated 26 Sep 2014
I quite enjoyed this. Greta Gerwig is indomitable, sweet and playful. I was increasingly invested in her quirky role. Writing is witty, vulnerable and surprising. The supporting cast is wonderful, except for the boyfriend. The black and white format subtracts from it somewhat. Favorite parts were her dancing through the streets & peeing in the subway. The characters and situations felt authentic but sometimes the delivery was slightly forced. Also an interesting examination of female friendship.
Rated 15 Jan 2015
Downer. The lead character is a lethargic bore, and the movie feels poorly structured with little narrative and disconnected scenes.
Rated 25 Nov 2013
Clearly owes more to Gerwig than to Baumbach. I didn't like the editing.
Rated 30 Dec 2013
I didn't really care about the titular character. She's privileged and filled with manufactured strife.
Rated 27 Oct 2014
Noah Baumbach has to be the most overrated director in the 21st century. I just don't get it.
Rated 03 Oct 2015
Frances is a whiny, talentless twenty-something whose problems, though relatable, are scarcely sufficient to build this kind of sympathetic character study around, and Gerwig's grating performance only makes this all-the-more apparent. While there are a number of lovely little moments scattered throughout (occasionally stolen from better movies), this simultaneously basks in its own self-importance too readily, making the drama far less inviting than that of Baumbach's previous works.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
au contraire; extra points for the carax "modern love" homage. extra extra points for greta's existence.
Rated 15 Jan 2018
Something really admirable about Frances' innocent, quirky and awkward character that made me enjoy the movie. Although it is a typical starving artist in the city story, it still hits home on the millennial era of people trying to figure out their lives. Frances' makes it possible to believe one can sustain joy and their youth despite adversities they may face. A refreshingly honest take on growing up. Great soundtrack to top it off.
Rated 29 Nov 2020
Love will tear us apart
Rated 06 Jan 2014
Enjoyable characters that occasionally strain credibility
Rated 28 Aug 2013
I guess Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig aren't excactly covering new ground as much as they're dancing elegantly over familiar territory with this. In the hands of lesser talents this could've easily been another round of "twentysomethings-having-trouble-getting-their-shit-together", but Gerwig is superbly charming when not having her shit together and Baumbachs directing helps this feel fresh and new. Witty, heartfelt, charming. Wish I didn't have my shit together in NYC instead of Copenhagen.
Rated 14 Jan 2014
Frances is a wonderful character, offering so many facets to explore, and Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach do a great job of investigating the dichotomy of the twentysomething New Hipster who deserves more out of life, but won't grow up to earn it. Bonus points for beautiful B&W cinematography, excellent support from Adam Driver, and the kind of beautifully sharp dialogue I wish I could write.
Rated 13 Nov 2013
Sort of like Truffaut's Antoine Doinel films mixed with HBO's Girls where French new wave meets NYC hipster scene. Frances Ha is an impressive addition to Baumbach's already strong filmography and while it contains a flawed, sometimes irritating protagonist like his previous films, Frances is more sympathetic and joyful.
Rated 16 Feb 2014
I feel the only hope for someone to like this film is have some connection with the main character, which can be tough. Without that, Frances is a less interesting cast member of Girls. It is endearing without needing to put forth much effort. Baumbach has proven his knack for writing a certain type of character that I would like to know...from a distance.
Rated 11 Jun 2013
Gerwig, an interesting actor, plays a millennial Annie Hall/Mary Tyler-Moore. It's a film that feels like it could really launch her career, but it's spotty--particularly the humor: some moments are flat while others come to life and click on all cylinders. The film inexplicably moves back and forth between these moments. I did like how it avoids Hollywood cheesiness and predictability, but something is missing as well. I also like the non-militant feminist vibe. ps:75
Rated 13 Dec 2013
Wonderfully put-together and acted, but the timelessness of the purposely-similar MANHATTAN means that this doesn't say much that's different.
Rated 22 Aug 2015
Ha!
Rated 19 Jul 2017
I had avoided watching this, I think because of the poster and the idea that it was about a dancer. I don't know. I just expected to hate it. So, it was a great surprise to encounter a movie so fresh and fun. Greta Gerwig really is fantastic, and I was sad when the film ended.
Rated 06 Nov 2014
Frances did a fabulous job of playing that young soul mindlessly meandering around trying to capture that whatever it is that is supposed to be you. To include meeting some tiresome oddballs along the way-- and admittedly being one yourself. Some people pretend they've found their place/thing/it. Others are more honest.
Rated 17 Aug 2013
Like good wine, this will age fine (was looking for a better rhyme)
Rated 20 May 2014
I had trouble figuring this film out for the first 20 or 30 minutes. I just wasn't sure what the story was or where it was going. It didn't matter though - once I accepted it was just pieces of this woman's life, it was great. The odd & frenetic editing was quite off-putting, but I eventually grew to like it. Gerwig was really good. Her character was cool & very atypical to most women in films, which was really refreshing. It reminded me of HBO's Girls. I liked it, but it's not for everyone.
Rated 22 Oct 2013
All I know is that I just went through a break-up and this made me feel better about it. But why is there only ever white people in Baumbach's movies???
Rated 14 Jan 2020
I feel like this is a completely different film when you watch it while younger than Gerwig's character vs. when you're older. But this is probably also true for many other Baumbach fuck-up characters. Great stuff either way
Rated 01 Oct 2013
Although originally kinda annoying (too self-consciously 'edgy' and 'cute' -and in B&W too), this Godard-esque, pretentious but endearing static drama won me over thanks to its good nature, charming dialogue and affable lead performance by Gerwig. The B&W cinematography -initially just an artsy gimmick- actually becomes a large part of the film's intrigue and beauty, the quirky characters resonate and it's all largely compelling and enjoyable despite the lack of a plot.
Rated 07 Jul 2014
Frances Ha is a fun, likable, and relatable movie about a woman trying to find her place and maybe grow up a little bit. It doesn't have a lot of plot, instead wandering somewhat aimlessly from place to place, teaching its lead character a lesson each time. It's successful as a drama, it's moderately funny, and it's never dull. Greta Gerwig is a delight to watch on-screen. It wonderfully captures a mood and time in a person's life, and it's a good time, too. Frances Ha is worth seeing.
Rated 04 Nov 2014
I thought this was brilliantly done. The black and white gives it an interesting element, but the strength of the cast and just a quick and smart story/editing works so well. It's endearing, i'ts funny and it's nice. Some great musical choices throughout as well.
Rated 02 Dec 2014
Pretty enjoyable. But it's the kind of B&W that doesn't really need to be a B&W, plus you get to hear "Tribeca" alot. Apart from the unnecessary low key feel and the hip -girl-bildungs-roman approach, Gerwig pulls a pretty genuine charachter and makes the story seem warm and intimate.
Rated 13 Aug 2014
This is the movie of the "millennial condition." We're cool, fun, and carry Bachelor's degrees from prestigious liberal arts colleges, yet we can't seem to find our place in the world. This is an exploration of those feelings of nihilism, fatigue, distress, and splashes of hopefulness.
Rated 22 Jul 2013
A beautiful meditation on finding happiness.
Rated 29 Nov 2020
I should dislike this more for being a pale imitation of "Manhattan", but Gerwig reminded me a lot of a friend I have who used to be a complete trainwreck so I was amused. Best watched if you're a twenty-something Jewish-adjacent asexual with rich parents.
Rated 07 Jun 2013
A mostly likeable, mostly aimless, somewhat interesting late-20s woman meanders through life with a bunch of other mostly likeable, mostly aimless, somewhat interesting late-20s people. The movie does a great job immersing you into this world. Then, POOF! Out of thin air, she gets her act together and everything turns out just right. This unnecessary and implausable ending really took away from this one.
Rated 12 Jan 2014
A lot more depressing than I had expected.
Rated 11 Nov 2013
Funny little movie. Gerwig is great, Baumbach is great, but in the end I felt like the story could have been more interesting. Not for those who are expecting twists and big drama.
Rated 19 Nov 2013
A fairly fun, enjoyable, and engaging slice-of-life film, but one without much of an impact due to how little substance and conflict is here -- the only lasting impression is that it made me fall in love with Greta Gerwig (and I'm sure that was the film's main goal). Overall, I'd say this is worth a watch given it's short length.
Rated 10 Aug 2013
Man. This movie is great. And artsy. How does that work?
Rated 06 Jun 2017
Hits a bit too close to home for me to properly enjoy. Still, it's a beautiful, emotional film.
Rated 15 Jun 2013
Moves like any of the great cities in cool, lo-fi black and white set to one of David Bowie's underrated 80's jams. Endlessly enjoyable and Greta Gerwig is fantastic.
Rated 05 Oct 2013
"Frances Ha" is a beautiful film. Simple, unpretentious, immediate, with realistic and relatable characters and equally good actors, shot in gorgeous B&W, it deals with an original, uncompromising soul, marching to its own beat and finding its way through life. Best film of the year.
Rated 31 May 2013
A fairly entertaining string of anecdotes tied up in a pretentious b&w bow--treated with a rose colored filter for the cover.
Rated 31 Dec 2017
Cute
Rated 07 Aug 2019
It's easy, just shoot in b&w and copy an iconic scene from another film, nobody will realise how terrible your characters and dialogue actually are!
Rated 17 May 2014
This film was deeply let down by not really exploring Frances' decision at the end of the film. It seems, however, it is not the intent of the film-makers to explain Frances' motivations, merely to show her actions.
Rated 06 Apr 2024
Looks older than it is. Hey I guess that's like the protagonist, right? Sympathetic and well acted.
Rated 01 Sep 2020
I have a crush on Greta Gerwig now
Rated 30 Aug 2021
Like The Comedy (I think Frances Ha is less acidic and directly mean spirited) from the same year, it’s not afraid to show the narcissism of this generation of people. A lot funnier than I remember it being, but kind of mid tier Baumbach
Rated 07 Nov 2014
I don't think I'll ever start to like Greta Gerwig. She is an ok actress and all but she seems to bring too much of her own personality in every part she's playing. I'm not a almost-30-year-old from NY who doesn't have her shit together and that makes it hard for me to rely to this.
Rated 31 Dec 2013
Undateable. Frances Ha captures what the HBO show Girls is trying to do without being so obnoxious (though somehow I still enjoy it). Frances Ha is quirky, but still charming, and so very nearly crosses the line of being an insufferable neurotic, but her story is completely sympathetic.
Rated 22 Feb 2013
Rahat bir film. Bazi yerlerinde bayagi guldururken genel itibariyle fazlasiyla depresif buldum. Sonu bile bana oyle geldi.
Rated 08 Mar 2020
Something about her loneliness in life was haunting and thought-provoking. But overall I just didn't find it inspiring enough to rate it any higher. And just a side note... Awkward people are AWESOME!!!
Rated 03 Oct 2013
More like this, please.
Rated 31 Jan 2022
I was liking it but not really feeling it until the dinner scene. It really came together, how genuinely, unintentionally awkward she is, and how she’s constantly trying not to be, and you just can’t help but root for her to get there, to say the right thing. Suddenly I felt it all