Judas and the Black Messiah
Judas-and-the-Black-Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah

2021
Drama, History
The story of Fred Hampton, Chairman of the Illinois Black Panther Party, and his fateful betrayal by FBI informant William O'Neal. (imdb)
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Ryan Coogler is building a star system - and I'm all here for it. What Stanfield and Kaluuya are doing here is unreal. This is some DeNiro-Pacino shit and it's time we talk about it in these terms.
I was pretty surprised by how good this is. This particular story revolving around Hampton and O'Neal should honestly be essential viewing. Kaluuya is phenomenal and Stanfield is also really good. I thought some of the directing felt like Michael Mann and the beautiful cinematography helps back that thought up. I do think the last half hour drags a bit, but it's otherwise a well paced, very investing drama with quite the punch. Very well done.
Like Malcolm X or Selma, a Fred Hampton biopic is needed--both as a piece of history and an epic film. The story serves the collective liberation politics well, especially via a Kaluuya performance that shows the love and charm of Fred Hampton. But the picture slightly misses the movie by not fully dramatizing the two men in question--especially from the emotional fallout of the betrayal. Also, the film can be a bit too mawkish with its romance and period music soundtrack. Still, recommended.
Excellent all around. Kaluuya and Stanfield stand out, but nobody is a weak link.
One of my first thoughts when I started watching the movie, upon seeing Ryan Coogler's name as a producer, was to question why they didn't get him to direct it. After finishing the movie (no disrespect to Coogler), I'm glad they didn't, because Shaka King did a tremendous job with this material. Kaluuya and Stanfield both put in excellent work in film-driving efforts. Between this and "Trial of the Chicago 7", we have an excellent spiritual duology of social justice in the late 60's in America.

27 Collections including 15 Collaborative and 12 Public