1936
Romance, Comedy
The Tramp struggles to live in modern industrial society with the help of a young homeless woman. (imdb)
Directed by:
Language:

1936
Romance, Comedy

Rated 23 Jan 2015
Another 90 minutes of watching Chaplin try to slapstick his way into banging a homeless girl.
Rated 14 Jan 2009
a silent film using everything that had improved in film making to 1936 except sound (it's actually a strange blend of silent and non-silent), and it works quite nicely. every player in this movie is top notch and it's quality is--in every way--superb.
Rated 16 Apr 2017
Okay, I now accept that Chaplin's comedy just isn't for me. This is one of his best movies, and I did find some parts mildly humorous, but for me it wasn't great. Seeing our hero repeatedly take it in the shorts because of bad luck and his own bungling stupidity makes me too tense to have my sense of humor tickled. But where the humor failed for me, the pathos (coupled with a decent social commentary) was successful and for that I enjoyed Modern Times.
Rated 08 Oct 2019
In the inevitable remake he'll have a sword fight with an Amazon warehouse robot.
Rated 17 Jun 2007
Funny, but its strong point is the wonderful love story and social commentary.
Rated 29 Nov 2009
(after repeat viewings) The social commentary, comedy and drama all work perfectly on their own yet not as a whole because of how abrupt the tonal shift feels. It's still great, timeless and exceedingly funny (the scene where he picks up the wedge which leads to the sinking boat is comedy gold). Love the ending.
Rated 08 Jan 2010
Pretty good. A few genuine laughs (boat scene was hilarious). Loved the ending. It is the last American film to use title cards as dialogue from the silent era so it's only fitting that Charlie gets the final words. The song near the end was pretty bad though.
Rated 26 Dec 2010
It's interesting for the social commentary, but I wasn't really entertained apart from the wonderful factory scenes. Too many scenes just went by where nothing really interesting happens, either visually or story-wise. Maybe I was just hoping for more of Chaplin's wonderful physical shenanigans. The ending was perfectly bittersweet.
Obviously a marvelously crafted piece of comedy, full of brilliant ideas, incisive satire and just plain fun. And yet, the little tramp just doesn't ring my bell. Maybe the character just doesn't appeal to me. I can't put my finger on it, but I simply didn't feel entertained by what I could recognize as an entertaining film. I smiled a few times, but other than that, nothing. But I still can recognize that this is a great movie, just not my kinda thing.
Rated 28 Aug 2007
One of Chaplin's greatest, sure it doesn't have the huge romantic value as City Lights, but whatever this film lacks in romance, is made up with hilarious slapstick comedy. But there still is romance! This film made me laugh like no other film, and over 70 years late nontheless! The Tramp character is so charming, I really adore him a lot here. This film never gets old. Classic Chaplin.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
Modern Times is an excellent film with excellent humor and excellent timing. The social commentary comes off as a bit obvious today, but I'm sure it felt very relevant at the time. In any case, large parts of the film are still hilarious 70 years after they were made, and I'm sure they'll be just as hilarious 70 years from now. Timeless.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Chaplin's best; a wildly romantic anti-utopian story that pits the little tramp against Big Brother, with neither side emerging as the clear-cut victor. So much has been written about this that Freder does not need to add anything other than "it's all true." No one who calls themselves a movie fan can afford to ignore this one.
Rated 22 Oct 2008
It's hard not to rank this 100, but one tiny flaw sets this back. Just......god, this is just powerful, powerful filmmaking at it's finest hour.
Rated 22 Mar 2009
Better than the great dictator for me. Old and still very actual. A very good story with hilarious pieces and a good and romantic love story. Charlie did it again with this superb movie of his.
Rated 24 Mar 2011
Filled with brilliant slapstick comedy throughout: the factory scene, the drugs, the boat, ad infinitum. I did think there were some weaker moments, but Chaplin is so resolutely good-natured that I can't help but love him. Plus, no one nails a bittersweet ending like he does.
Rated 20 May 2011
The satire is great, and the comedy is great for most of it (and even when it's not, the Tramp is just so charming that he carries it anyways), and the movie's just so bloody fun. When you watch Modern Times, you can't help but feel a pervasive sense that Chaplin was a genius, and made what he did into an artform. Score is not a grade.
Rated 14 Sep 2011
Not as good as I expected it to be. Many of the scenes just seemed like funny isolated incidents. There's less of a cohesive story here than in Chaplin's other films. I liked it, but it was less funny than something like The Gold Rush, and less romantic than something like City Lights. Although I must say that the ending is abundantly sentimental, which I love. Speaking of The Gold Rush, they definitely re-used that set in this film. Or maybe it was a direct homage. Either way, I didn't mind.
Rated 04 Oct 2011
The sound design is not just unique, it's brilliant in the manner which it lends a voice to the mechanical and simultaneously robs its characters of agency. The social commentary, romance and slapstick humor all intertwine beautifully (if occasionally recklessly), with the Tramp's self-sufficiency flying in the face of an increasingly mechanized age. On a lighter note, Paulette Goddard is a straight-up hottie in this movie; baby, you can get truant with me any day.
Rated 03 Nov 2011
I thought it was brilliant up until The Tramp leaves the jail for the first time, but nothing else after that really worked for me.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Some of Chalpin's funniest moments perfectly blended with revolutionary (at the time) social commentary make this one of his best films. I still kind of wish that awkward song performance towards the end never happened but that's not really a serious offense.
Rated 24 Oct 2012
(viewed October 2012) Frequently very funny, but the gags often go on a bit too long--the comedy is a bit like watching live-action Looney Toons (I don't mean this to be derogatory). It feels too much like a series of loosely connected (and often predictable) vignettes rather than a seamless whole. From a modern perspective, the sound design seems somewhat odd, though I understand how it could be seen as innovate for its time. Goddard is quite captivating, but the romance did little for me.
Rated 06 Jun 2014
Charming and lots of fun. Also, the social commentary on the working class has not become obsolete despite the film's age. Chaplin has obvious talent for physical comedy and fully captures the attention of the viewer.
Rated 13 May 2015
Too modern for me.
Rated 10 Oct 2015
Fuck all y'all this is his best
Rated 09 Jul 2016
Funny throughout, though the coexistence of sound and silence is unsettling.
Rated 31 Dec 2016
As much as some of the physical comedy is impressive and fun, MT's hopeless lack of any coherent thesis made this rather ineffectual, for me.
Rated 09 Jun 2019
A beautiful, poignantly satirical masterpiece; opens with its highlight, a breathlessly hilarious take on technology run amok (clearly an inspiration for one of Lucy's most famous sketches); while nothing ever quite tops this sequence for sheer brilliance, the rest is still a remarkable achievement, as Chaplin takes aim at capitalism and consumerism, while constructing elaborate (and while rollerskating terrifying) comedic set pieces. And what a finale - Chaplin talks!!!
Rated 06 Apr 2020
Apparently I live around the corner from one of Chaplin's (many) old houses. It is currently occupied by about a dozen homeless men... social commentary?
Rated 14 May 2020
While it may not have the depth of emotion seen in City Lights, the humour, visuals, and political themes are still light years ahead of almost anything made since.
Rated 26 May 2022
Modern Times is the culmination of Chaplin's work in silent films. In a way the comedy almost transcends mere slapstick, with polished editing (for the time) that selectively speeds up sequences in scenes, making the action effectively a dance number. The jokes are often funny & occasionally clever but I'm surprised the social commentary stoked communism fears at the time. Workers rights, industrial obsolescence & an easier life ≠ communism. Chaplin's a legend & Goddard's pretty...great too.
Rated 12 Mar 2007
As a 'modern time' spectator, I have the right to say it's silly, with all those jokes three generations before me have seen in Bugs Bunny cartoons. But in a general view, it's certainly a great movie, one of the best of its time.
Rated 24 Mar 2007
If only the restaurant scene had been cut out, this film would be perfect.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
# 56
Rated 29 Jun 2007
Haziran - Temmuz 07
Rated 27 Jul 2007
Has its moments, but I dont feel like giving it full points just because it is a a) Chaplin movie b) canonized classic. Didn't grab me, but I enjoyed it. I liked a lot more Jacquie Tati's Mon oncle & sure everyone who loves this, will love Mon Oncle also.
His best movie. Chaplin sets such a high standard, establishing so conclusively the timelessness of funny humor, that clearly no comedy should ever be forgiven for having 'dated'. It has the "flavor" of its times but something like this never loses its absolute charm.
Score based on distant memory.
Great Chaplin film with some amazing slap stick comedy as you would expect from the best.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Very Good
Rated 24 Aug 2007
One of Chaplin's best movies. Just a great commentary on being a cog in the machine, literally.
Rated 17 Sep 2007
fun Chaplin film
Rated 30 Dec 2007
I really like Chaplin's work. Definately a classic and amazing if you know when he maded it. Great humor that still is funny now. And , what we are used of Chaplin , critiscm. Chaplin definately was way ahead of his time and this results in the best movie of his time.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 52
Rated 31 Mar 2008
At times very funny and moving classic. LIKED: Charlie Chaplin's acting, subtle modern society criticism. DISLIKED: straightforward storyline.
Rated 07 May 2008
The ideal comedy. Chaplin was a genius.
Rated 11 May 2008
genious!!!!!
Rated 28 May 2008
Charles Chaplin was and is a great actor, director, writer...
Rated 15 Aug 2008
There is something very wrong with me for not loving this. Maybe one day.
Rated 12 Sep 2008
Great movie by Charlie Chaplin, very entertaining by modern times' standards...;-)
Rated 22 Sep 2008
fantastisk
Rated 14 Nov 2008
Charming, delightful and expertly executed satire that's quite funny. But never too obvious at the same time, and powered by the brilliant Charlie Chaplin. What's interesting is how this film still resonates with us today, and is still incredibly timely. Especially given the current economic problems facing our nation.
Rated 29 Nov 2008
Saw it again recently in a theatre with a live orchestra performing the original score. Pure bliss. No, really.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 23 Dec 2008
Classic. I don't know *any* other comedy that is so timeless. Simply incredible.
Rated 05 Jan 2009
It is a classic film, which not only marked the decade of 20, as the whole history of cinema. It is there that the multi Charles Chaplin shows all its infinite talent, in all stages of production of long and short films to, and still a sample of their incredible gifts of skater.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Chaplin's stubbornly delayed adjustment to sound moviemaking (solely for some stomach-growling sound effects and for a little ditty sung in gibberish) offers a slapstick treatment of the Expressionists' man-versus-machine anxieties. Doing this in 1936 is characteristic of Chaplin's foot-dragging throughout his career. A few of the "bits," such as the automatic feeding contraption, belong however in the Best-of-Chaplin anthologies.
Rated 13 Mar 2009
Charlie attacks the machine age in inimitable fashion, with sharp pokes at other social ills and the struggle of modern-day survival. Chaplin's last silent film (with his own music -- including "Smile" -- sound effects and gibberish song) is consistently hilarious, and unforgettable. FInal shot is among Chaplin's most famous and most poignant.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Chaplin at his best.
Rated 30 May 2009
Charlie Chaplin, what else needs to be said? Brilliant!
Rated 05 Jun 2009
A clever satire, and surprisingly funny for a movie this old. Chaplin was a rare talent.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
Chaplin is one of the most iconic figures in film, and this is one of his most interesting, funny and recognizable films (though I admit I still have many to see). The gags are fantastic, especially the scenes in the factory and the roller skating scene, but the greatness of the movie comes from its social satire. Chaplin was an expert at putting some real substance behind his films while keeping them hilarious. A great movie through and through.
Rated 22 Aug 2009
Beautiful movie.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
A really good Charlo movie..
Rated 29 Oct 2009
The scene where the tramp appears in front of the parade, waving the flag, is one of the best moments of Chaplin.
Rated 13 Jan 2010
Rated 11 Apr 2010
visionary
Rated 20 Jun 2010
Genius
Rated 26 Jul 2010
A masterwork from one of cinema's greatest visionaries. A film that is every bit as funny and revolutionary today as it was in 1936, when it was released.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
Though the laughs are less than in some of Chaplin's past work and the romance is familiar, it stands out for its commentary on mindless industrialism, its assembly lines draining people of their creativity, vitality and freedom, the authorities that fervently go after society's outcasts, and the system that eats up its own children and chews them out, trapping them in their plights. The hilarity is of course there and the finale is deeply touching in its simplicity, optimism and defiance.
Rated 15 Aug 2010
Chaplin is most often associated with comedy, but Modern Times, among others of his films, shows that he extended far beyond a simple comedian. He was an artist. MT beautifully blends comedy, pathos, humanism, and social commentary. Some of Chaplin's funniest bits come in this film (the eating machine, the singing waiter), but also his most heartfelt (the conclusion with the Gamin). MT stands as one of the great achievements, not only of Chaplin's career, but in all of cinematic history.
Rated 15 Sep 2010
The cocaine scene is one of best and funniest scenes in a movie. The Tramp is one of the best characters in cinema and this is one of Chaplin's best.
Rated 18 Oct 2010
Gotta love Chaplin. There are some great scenes here and Chaplin shows that he also masters the comedy of sound. Also, his theme song "Smile" is one of my favourite songs.
Rated 27 Oct 2010
I can't deny the fact that Chaplin was a genius but I also can't get myself to laugh at slapstick. Great ideas but the jokes all miss.
Rated 01 Dec 2010
The sound design is less innovative than uneven, stalling the film in a weird place between silent and talkie. Despite this bit of dated awkwardness, it perseveres through charming character and visual flair. Charlie moves with a dancer's versatility and grace, while Paulette Goddard displays raw magnetism opposite the typical glamor expected from 1930s Hollywood. Its socially conscience message is obvious, but less invasive than the stuff Chaplin would later go on to shove down our throats.
Rated 25 Dec 2010
Rated 27 Dec 2010
watched: 2010, 2012, 2015, 2023
Rated 13 Jan 2011
**************
Rated 22 Jan 2011
Chaplin's critique of the industrial age. Funny and smart.
Rated 27 Jan 2011
It's still funny. After 75 years. Chaplin really is a genious.
Rated 27 Mar 2011
Chaplin's last "great" film is a funny and heart warming tale with a message about the de-humanizing effect of technology. The beginning is very funny and inventive, proving that Chaplin was still a master at pantomime comedy.
Rated 02 Apr 2011
Both as a political satire and as a lovely romance, Modern Times stands out as one of the most charming films in the history of cinema. It is such a popular feature that it seems like I've been watching fragments of it my entire life.
Rated 24 Apr 2011
An all time classic, which should not be missed in a movie collection. Mr. Chaplin was one of the greatest artists and lives on in his great movies! Simply beautiful.
Rated 25 Apr 2011
A masterpiece not only of silent cinema, but of cinema in general. Charlie Chaplins shows off all of his talents in this film, and it really pays off. He sings, he dances, he composes a wonderful score, and, of course, gives us more hilarious comedy than you can shake a cane at. Simply a masterpiece.
Rated 05 May 2011
isci, issizlik, hapishane, gece bekcisi, ask, garson (chaplin fabrikada band üzerinde sikma islemi yapan bir iscidir. yogun calisma temposu onu delirtir. hastaneden cikar. yolda yere düsen bir bayrak görür. arabaya dogru sallarken arkasindan gelen koministlerin lideri sanilarak hapse düser. hapiste tuz yerine kokainli yemek yer kafayi bulur. o halde kacmaya calisan mahkunlari durdurunca serbest birakilir. ama cikmaz istemez. bir kizla tanisir. is arar. tek amaci bir ev sahibi olmaktir.
Rated 03 Jun 2011
"There can be no better description for Modern Time-or indeed, Chaplin's career-than the film's initial title card: 'A story of industry, of individual enterprise-humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness.'"
Rated 19 Oct 2011
This movie was made 15 years after The Kid and two decades after The Tramp's introduction and yet he is still doing the same schtick. It's not breaking any ground (like he later did with The Dictator). He's basically still living in the past while the Marx Brothers have lapped him in terms of wit, originality, and social commentary.
Rated 07 Nov 2011
I'm not into silent movies but Chaplin's tramp is a sympathetic character that packs a lot of entertainment into 90 minutes. I liked this film much better than "City Lights", probably because I agree with Charlie's social commentary here.
Rated 26 Nov 2011
This one's gotta be my favorite Chaplin movie. It was obviously a really heartfelt theme for him to deal with, involving the rapid advancement of technology. It's a silent movie, but people's voices can be heard if they're speaking over a loudspeaker or radio or some other piece of technology. These heavy themes lie under a relatively lighthearted plot. The ending is bittersweet, but the last line in the last scene works perfectly.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#55
Rated 15 Jan 2012
It was great! I enjoyed it so much. It was just so funny! It was funnier than most of the comedy films of recent years. It's interesting to think how comedy has and hasn't changed. I wasn't always laughing out loud, but I was always amused. Chaplin was charming, some of the set pieces were amazing and the music was fantastic. Very entertaining and a movie everyone can enjoy, I think.
Rated 19 Feb 2012
Umm yea. I rate movies how good they are compared to movies of today. Comedy doesn't stand the test of time outside of a historical perspective. Hopefully it helps align my TCIs.
Rated 24 Mar 2012
Charlie Chaplin falling over for an hour and a half. Slapstick isn't really my thing.
Rated 01 May 2012
fantastic all the way through. a new all-time favorite. chaplin and goddard are wonderful. second favorite scene: when the worker sings and dances at the nightclub. my favorite scene: easy, the ending and what an ending,if it doesn't make you even a little weepy, you ain't human..........
Rated 11 Jul 2012
I just love to see such a nasty and cynical film that criticises the lifestyle of the Western world, whilst being amazingly uplifting and containing a great romantic plot (or sub-plot, depending on what you think is more important -- love, or work).
Rated 24 Jul 2012
Plot 16/20 Fiction 16/20 Casting/Acting 19/20 Worldbuilding 19/20 Entertainment 16/20
Rated 06 Sep 2012
Wonderful Chaplin sights!
Rated 15 Oct 2012
I think it's probably Chaplin's funniest, and I enjoyed the social commentary quite a bit. I couldn't really find myself engaged with the story or the romance...but maybe it's just a victim of an unfair comparison to City Lights
Rated 30 Jan 2013
Her şeyi bıraktım köşeye, hapishanedeki o sahne halen aklımda ağbi... Bir de o sigara sahnesi, yaz yaz bitmez gerçi... 100'ün altında verenler atsın kendini camdan aşağı, ne diyeyim daha ben.
Rated 26 Feb 2013
a lot of fun. Used to think Chaplin films were deeply unfunny as a child when my grandad showed them to me. Now I see what the old codger was on about! One more thing,Paulette Goddard was a hottie!

Directed by: