Mrs. Doubtfire

Mrs. Doubtfire

1993

Rated 15 Jul 2007
A deeply unsettling film that cynically attempts to make the audience SYMPATHIZE with a man who would so crassly deceive his own children, betray their trust, and invade their privacy... all while absurdly disguised as an elderly British nanny. The premise is utter bullshit in every possible way. In fact, "Mrs. Doubtfire" is often cited by Islamic terrorists as their primary incentive for attacking the United States.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
A lot of people hate this movie but I will give it some points due to Williams all out gusto in what is actually kind of a difficult role. Some parts are really disturbing. Essentially Robin Williams is insane (shocker) and loses custody of his kids for being an irresponsible unemployed weirdo. To combat this image, he naturally begins crossdressing as an old woman, and is hired to nanny to his own children. Cut and print.
Robin Williams, and anyone who likes this movie, should be killed. For the good of humanity.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Love this movie! Hilarious, but also touching--and very interesting given the time period as I believe it was one of the first mainstream movies to focus on the affects of divorce in a family. Robin Williams makes a great "woman" (see also Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie"--another good comedy!)
Rated 19 Apr 2009
Robin Williams is hilarious in this. An excellent showcase of the dying art of physical comedy. Some people on Criticker seem to think this movie is "creepy" or "condescending". You've got to be kidding me. I think they're missing "the point". My favorite part was the run-by fruiting!
Rated 03 Jun 2008
Hilarious and adorable. Robin Williams is genius in this.
Rated 06 Dec 2021
For an entire generation of people this is an iconic, kid friendly comedy. While there have been funnier movies, I don't think anyone will argue that for being a comedian, Robin Williams starred in far too few pure comedies, so cherish the ones we have.
I'm sure it's hokey and mediocre, and I believe everyone who says so without reservation. But to hell with it, because I laughed until I pissed when I saw this when I was 8! "He's a she! She's a he! He's a she-he!" I'll stick with my fond memories rather than acknowledge reality.
Rated 25 Jan 2007
This movie is the definition of bad. How anyone finds it funny or appealing in any way is beyond me. I once had a nightmare that Robin Williams dressed as Mrs. Doubtfire was trying to kill me. It still wasn't as horrifying as this movie though.
Rated 05 Jul 2008
This is really kind of difficult to watch, the movie seems to hate you for trying to see it.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
Robin Williams is annoying. Robin Williams speaking in that accent is annoying times infinity.
Rated 27 Oct 2008
Extremely disturbing, probably the best American horror movie ever made.
Rated 29 Mar 2011
It was ok, I really do like Robin Williams though. Also not as good as Tobias Funke doing Mrs. Featherbottom in Arrested Development. If it was a movie about that it would probably be ranked about 90.
This is Robin Williams at his comedic best. He proves himself to be an incredibly flexible and talented actor, and though Mrs. Doubtfire never really puts him to the test, it is a monumentally enjoyable family comedy. Really good!
Rated 08 May 2016
My favorite jokes in this are the ones about how Robin Williams' accent shtick isn't funny. Despite this, he's oddly lovable in the role. I think that's a microcosm of the film as a whole: oddly lovable, not at all good.
Rated 28 Feb 2007
Robin Williams shines in this dramatic comedy about a guy who must fake being a nanny in order to see his own kids.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
An unforgettable funny offering of Robin Williams in one of his most iconic roles. "The terrorist he ran that way! It was a run-by-fruiting!" "Oh you wicked, wicked monkey!"
Rated 24 Mar 2007
Good comedy movie with some very memorable moments. I know there is a lot of hate going around for it, but to be honest I don't understand why at all.
Rated 01 Aug 2007
I am not usually a fan of Robin Williams, but he handled this role beautifully.
Rated 07 Sep 2008
The best comedy film ever made. This film will make you laugh from the beginning to its ending.
Rated 26 Sep 2012
I just wish to God that Robin Williams would find a role that would allow him to be zany.
Rated 24 Jun 2008
Robin Williams best what a great movie.
Rated 07 Sep 2019
A 40-something manchild turns to crossdressing in order to become a more responsible person and better parent to his children. Did i really just watch this?? And how is it not more awesome?!
Rated 17 Apr 2014
Dangerous Psychotic Father: The Movie
Rated 19 Oct 2009
One of the worst movies ever made. The fact that it has been immortalized into 90's pop culture makes me feel sad and ashamed to be an American, and a human.
Rated 03 Jan 2009
I loved this movie's beginning with the cartoon, I was 10 years old when I saw this and was like "yey, cartoon" the it puls out of the frame and suddenly I see a hairy comedian doing the voice, this was the first time I saw where the voices comes from in the cartoon and was chocked, my magic for movies was gone. I saw a adult man dressing like a women to get a job as a housekeeper to be with his children - desperate?. Nah I loved it and I think its one of the best movie from my childhood
For a man who hates Robin Williams, this wasn't that bad. It had a couple funny parts. I'd never watch it again, though.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
Doubt I'll ever watch it again.
Rated 23 Oct 2014
RIP Robin Williams - Enjoyable family comedy makes too many 'cute' missteps, and suffers from a premise which stretches credibility as presented, but is still made worthwhile in fits and starts for Williams the brilliant comedic improviser; while Williams' Doubtfire lacks the personality of Hoffman's Tootsie, many funny lines and situations abound (especially whenever Brosnan's fine turn as hapless straight man is on screen). Conclusion is the most convincing aspect, and remains quietly moving.
Rated 19 Feb 2009
An interesting turn for Robin Williams at this point in his career, attempting to be both funny and heartfelt at the same time. Not entirely successful, but definitely memorable.
Rated 06 Apr 2011
Well I can say in its favor I did enjoy it originally as a kid, and a few of William's improvs are funny. On the other hand, it's creepy and hard to watch. It's a bit disconcerting to have such a nice and positive message about family and diversity after two hours of puerile, homophobic and transphobic jokes. No thanks.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
SHOOT HER! SHOOOOOT HER!!
Rated 23 Oct 2010
So many gender issues here. The weirdness where Divorce Is Bad and Sally Field is a Bad Parent for doing it even though Robin Williams's character really is being a destabilizing presence in his children's lives, the fact that "The Mrs. Doubtfire Character" is played by a man in his 40s instead of an actual elderly female actor who needs the work, the transphobia... yeesh. Robin Williams is the same warm presence he always is, and occasionally manages to sell the concept, but oy.
Rated 25 Nov 2013
hit too close to home
Rated 26 Dec 2023
This only works as a piece of nostalgia, because oooh boy. I realize I am treading on well-worn ground, but the central conceit of this film is insane. Besides that, I am not sure how much there is actually to like about this. Depends on how funny you find Robin Williams dressing up like an old lady.
Rated 08 Jan 2016
Mrs. Doubtfire may be an odd story with questionable outcomes. But what Robin Williams does with this character is extraordinary. Anybody else would have made this a deeply unsettling experience. But Robin Williams brings such warmth & charm to a completely bizarre series of events. Whilst Sally Field importantly keeps the story somewhere close to the ground. I still watch and laugh at this film through the eyes of a child. And it's the naivety of a child that allows me to see past the flaws.
Rated 23 Jan 2007
Oh Robin, how you do try. Oh, Columbus how you do... nothing really worth putting on a resume.
Every time I see it, it gets a little more annoying.
Rated 23 Jan 2024
it makes sense why my dad likes this movie and my mom hates it
Rated 20 Feb 2008
Ooooh it was a drive-by fruiting. I do have a special place in my heart for this movie. But lets not go to far. I don't like it that much.
Rated 16 Aug 2014
Considering the subject, Mrs. Doubtfire is particularly regressive when it comes to gender roles or sexuality. All women are villains, the homosexuals are freakish caricatures and no sane man would ever dress as a woman unless there's a brilliant plan involved. The movie itself is not very revolutionary either, and after the surprisingly tight beginning, Chris Columbus' obsessive tugging of emotional strings hardly leaves room for an actual movie.
Rated 23 Feb 2010
Cornball stuff that is essentially a rehash of the much superior Tootsie in a lot of ways. Robin Williams is a good actor though and he manages to carry this far enough that it's not totally stupid. The "father will do anything to get his estranged kids back" angle was played out even for the early 90's though. It's still filled with insipid dialog and not nearly clever enough to be called good.
Rated 05 Aug 2007
Robin Williams begins his insufferable phase of combining grating, frequently clichéd comic mugging with mawkish, please-won't-someone-love-me tenderhearted family-oriented bullshit. Still, it's better than Patch Adams.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Those kids really didn't seem worth the trouble, honestly.
Rated 16 Dec 2006
Such a desperately lame concept for a movie, it's actually a little bit funny in its insipidness. The film itself, however, is trash.
Rated 05 Apr 2023
My issue is that Williams is playing a truly awful man who behaves abominably from minute one and routinely blames other people when bad things happen. The original court decision to give him only visitation rights until he establishes a home and a job (!!!) is pretty fucking reasonable, but somehow the profound observation that he loves his children (as if this is an uncommon situation) licenses him to fundamentally abuse his wife's trust.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
Quite decent comedy. Very good drama. But still mediocre at best
Rated 05 Mar 2007
Trite, sentimental garbage in the typical vein of idiot director Chris Columbus.
Rated 06 Jun 2010
They got this guy to direct Harry Potter films. This guy. Right here.
Rated 17 Aug 2014
I preferred the version with Tobias Funke.
Rated 22 Sep 2018
Robin Williams is funny, pathetic, unlikable, and sincere in this, all at once. I also doubt this was intentional. It about sums up my thoughts on Mrs. Doubtfire.
Rated 13 Jun 2009
very funny 10 out of 10
This movie is just okay. Robin Williams is okay. Sally Field is okay. Pierce Brosnan is a little better than okay. It gets 10 bonus points for the memorable line about "a drive-by fruiting"
Has heart, but it's still contrived.
Rated 17 Apr 2007
A cute film, little bit of a downer at the end.
Rated 27 Apr 2009
Funny and good Robin Williams performance make this fun to watch.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Well it makes me laugh... rarely.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
5-6
Rated 24 Jun 2007
Not just trash, but patriarchal trash. See this review: http://whitevalkyrie.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/mrs-doubtfire-mens-rights-activist-movie/
Rated 03 Mar 2016
Quite fun, and surprisingly potent by the end.
Rated 30 Sep 2015
I do love Robin Williams, but this wasn't his finest work. Story's way too thin to make a good film...
Rated 17 Nov 2012
classic childhood movie
Rated 05 Aug 2008
The only funny Robin Williams movie.
Rated 26 Feb 2008
I still can't understand the restaurant scene at the end. It's annoying the shit out of me.
Nothing beats Robin Williams
Rated 30 Dec 2011
The film starts out promising, but quickly turns into a twisted lecture on old-fashioned morals about family. The few funny scenes are not enough to make it even a good comedy.
Rated 28 Jun 2020
I've watched this film more times than I really should have, and for what reason I don't know as it is an average film at best (quite possibly a 'bad' film). I'll blame my more youthful self for this indiscretion. Having said that, Williams does the cross-dressing scenario quite well.
Rated 29 Apr 2008
Awesome comedy! Laughed a lot when I saw it...
Rated 31 Aug 2009
Rated 27 Jan 2024
I don't remember if I watched this as a kid, I somehow remember it, but it might be getting bombarded by its ADs in multiple movies too... Watched it with my daughter (LIFE-SAVING Alert: You should stay away from this movie if there are any divorce vibes in your family. Can induce FUD in pre-adolescents). It is much more gooey than I thought it was; the make-up part was cool and it has few good sequences; but it didn't appeal to me much (Calm down honey, we are not divorcing).
Rated 23 Aug 2015
I have a soft spot for this!
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Robin Williams is hilarious in this movie.. Very cute and touching even!
Rated 23 Jul 2009
A divorced man doing absolutely anything to spend time with his children.
How could you not love this movie? Amazing for kids, even funny for adults, this is one of those must-see films.
Rated 07 May 2008
Robin Williams is bad enough. Robin Williams in drag is downright scary!
Rated 16 Mar 2010
I have a lot of respect for Mrs Doubtfire, mainly because of the mature way it handles the divorce that makes up the plot and how it follows it through to a natural, thoughtful conclusion without copping out as so many lesser movies would. Plus, this is probably Robin Williams' best comedic performance.
Rated 30 Apr 2008
fun back than
Robin Willimas dresses as an old lady to be with his kids. I found it funny when I was 12 but the bits I've seen since make think it probably isn't as good as I remember, and I don't remember it being all that great.
Rated 13 Jan 2011
One of the best family films out there, hilarious, love it!
Rated 06 Jun 2008
Implausible yet amusing. I still don't like Robin Williams.
Rated 08 Mar 2019
SMOKING!
Rated 19 Jan 2013
A bit silly, but still funny. Also, a bit creepy. But still funny.
Rated 09 Aug 2008
Amusing piece of fluff. If you like Robin Williams bipolar acting then you won't be disappointed.
Rated 03 Feb 2014
This film is one of robin Williams best comedies. I love the part of the film where they sing to matchmaker matchmaker from fiddler on the roof.
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Hilarious movie... Also a really great storyline. Only issue: Tootsie 2, in essence.
I saw it as a child, as a teenager, and as an adult, and it worked each time, in a different way.
Rated 01 Feb 2008
Robin Williams acting Dustin Hofman. This is family movie. Not suitable for everyone. Robin bought a house with it.
Rated 12 Apr 2008
Decent family movie. Robin Williams is always pretty good.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Pretty damn funny movie, given it's creepiness.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
So cute.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
ikke nok til en film, alt for forudsigelig - typisk hollywood
Rated 27 Dec 2008
too silly to pass up!
Rated 12 Sep 2022
Help is on the way dear!
Rated 19 Aug 2007
The cross-dressing plot was well-handled and William's trademark moral was well-integrated.
Rated 19 Jul 2013
Robin Williams Is Very Funny in This.I liked it As Much As Any Other Robin Willam Movie
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Lame, lame, lame.
Rated 01 Sep 2010
Robin Williams hasn't been funny since the 80's.
Rated 29 Aug 2011
Gotta love it
Rated 06 Jun 2014
There is no doubt that Robin Williams has a fiery personality. His ability to change his voice makes him a living cartoon. This may not be one of the best films in the world but it has a lot of heart and a lot of laughs. The whole cast is pretty good too with the smarmy Pierce Brosnan and the angry wife Sally Field (she's about as likable in real life as she is in this film)...
Rated 17 Dec 2021
Too silly to be really interesting. Robin Williams was (almost) always too big for his own movies.