The Long Goodbye
The-Long-Goodbye

The Long Goodbye

1973
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Detective Philip Marlowe tries to help a friend who is accused of murdering his wife. (imdb)
Franchise: The Long Goodbye
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVVuduTubi TVHoopla
Criterion Channel
Pluto TV

Nonchalant, ambling detective story told with Altman's patented verbal flourishes. The plot, at times, is a little confusing, but that doesn't diminish the joy of watching Marlowe saunter about in his dude-like search. Gould gives a laid-back performance, his constant mutterings serving as an almost de facto narration, contrasting with the soused bluster of the brilliant Sterling Hayden. N.B. This film may induce smoking or at least compulsive lighting of cigarettes.
best neighbors ever
I can't help but love Elliot Gould's performance, even though he's downright terrible in one particular scene. And I can definitely understand why others can't stand him from start to finish. I also love the ending even though it's not really earned at all. Hayden's character and Altman's direction are undeniably superb. Pretty much everything just worked for me. It's just a strange ass film all around, and I like that.
Another film in which Robert Altman revises, deconstructs, and ultimately destroys classic genre conventions. Marlowe is a walking anachronism - a golden age cliche out of place in the scummy 1970s - and Elliot Gould owes more to Dick Powell than Humphrey Bogart. He's impervious to women but elsewhere naive and vulnerable, resembling nothing of the clear headed and hypermasculine P.I. we're familiar with. Best of all, Altman treats his revisionist take with a sense of humor seldom found in noir.
The opening 10 minutes consists of nothing but Elliott Gould trying to feed his cat and it's one of the best examples of character introduction I've ever seen. Equally notable is the film's subtle camerawork, capturing everything in an understated fashion. The plot was far too meandering to justify its bloated running time - then again, it's Altman - but the characters, style and excellent performances kept me engaged throughout.

Submitted bymhendumhendu on 25 Mar 2006