Godzilla
Godzilla-1954

Godzilla

1954
Drama, Sci-fi
A 164-foot monster reptile with radioactive breath is revived, thanks to nuclear testing. It goes on a mad rampage, destroying Tokyo - how will they kill it?
Franchise: Godzilla
Max
Plex Player
Cineverse
Midnight Pulp

Yes, the special effects haven't aged well. Like you're gonna? The original is still brilliantly straight-faced, painting firestorms, nuclear destruction and the death of hope itself like... well, just consider the fact that everyone who made this movie had just lost a war less than ten years earlier, and not in a pretty way. This movie will traumatize you if you let it. But by all means, keep laughing at the guy working his ass off in a 100-kg rubber suit.
Coping with trauma as a nation by way of a monster movie. That is pretty amazing, and as such Godzilla was much more interesting than what I initially expected. Also made me feel rather childish for looking forward to silly monster beatdowns. I guess that's one of Godzilla's powers too. To make one feel insignificant and ashamed when confronted with the monstrous moments of history.
Who other than The Terminator made such an assured 180° from villain to hero? Did you just say, "Loki?" Get out
This stands up surprisingly well, its combination of human drama, ecological narrative and giant main-in-suit destruction keeping things interesting throughout, even if it lacks a bit of subtlety. Shimura turning up certainly lent it a little extra class. My second born (8 at time of writing) is currently very keen on all things Godzilla, and he sat through this very happily. So did I.
Shimura had a big year between this and Seven Samurai. Obviously Godzilla is an iconic creature concept but the flick is really bolstered by its weighty historical context and Ifukube's incredible score. Seriously some of the best film music I've ever heard.

Submitted byjoseywalesjoseywales on 22 Jan 2008