The Dark Knight
The-Dark-Knight

The Dark Knight

2008
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Batman and James Gordon join forces with Gotham's new District Attorney, Harvey Dent, to take on a psychotic bank robber known as The Joker, whilst other forces plot against them, and Joker's crimes grow more and more deadly.
Peacock Premium
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Where Batman Begins had a far better script and less eye-rolling moments, this film triumphed thanks to its great performances and action sequences. To say Ledger was phenomenal as the Joker would be a gross understatement. It's a character and performance I won't soon forget. Nolan's direction is right on the money too. The script, however, was too contrived and could have used a bit of polishing. Other than that, this is one of the best films of the year, see it twice, or even more.
Couldn't grade it after one pass (I was afraid I'd be overcome with hyperbole) so I saw it a second time in IMAX for a more critical viewing and, I can happily report that his is complex and ACCESSIBLE film-making at its finest. The plot is so dense that repeated viewings should really be a requirement. Bale and Eckhart bring the goods, and of course, Ledger is off-the-charts. But how great is this movie, that his iconic Joker couldn't overshadow what is a fantastic piece of pop entertainment?
So good that almost all criticisim I have for it is something tiny. I only have one big problem, Maggie Gyllenhaal is not a good replacement for Katie Holmes by any means. Anything that anyone has to say about Heath Ledger is like beating a dead actor--pun intended--but seriously he's amazing.
I have to say, that this is my favorite comic book film. It's brilliantly paced, punishing, ruthless, adrenaline-driving and succesfully dark and evil. Heath Ledger's Joker has got to be one of the greatest, most psychotic depictions of an antagontist ever, and it's the best performances of this decade. So, I bet you're going to ask me, why did I give it a 96? Well, the script is contaminated and the second half featured holes. Still, one of the year's best.
I tried my level-best to find something about this film which I dislike, but came up empty handed. The storyline is a dark and intelligent crime-thriller and never devolves into the campy self-parody that has plagued many prior Batman films. All actors involved deliver top-drawer performances and Ledger creates the most memorable on-screen villain in at least a decade. It'll take something special to unseat TDK as my pick for Best Picture of 2008.

Last modified by:donmezsefadonmezsefa on 06 Nov 2021