Where the Wild Things Are
Where-the-Wild-Things-Are

Where the Wild Things Are

2009
Drama, Family/Kids
Max, a rambunctious and sensitive boy feels misunderstood at home and escapes to where the Wild Things are. He lands on an island where he meets mysterious and strange creatures whose emotions are as wild and unpredictable as their actions.

The most emotional film I had the pleasure of seeing in 2009. It's packed with both joy and frustration, but in that way it was made perfectly. There are times when you want to scream to Max how to make things better for the Wild Things, but then you realize that he's handling it exactly the way a 9 year old would. It's dark, dialogue driven and probably won't be enjoyed by anyone under the age of 10. But Jonze, much like Pixar, has taken a children's movie to the level of art.
Talk about an epic disappointment. I understand that Jonze and Eggers were trying to create a meditation on childhood and the emotional turmoil that goes along with it, but in the end Where the Wild Things Are is just a plotless snoozer. Nice to look at and all, but that's really the only nice thing I can say about it.
This is one of the more polarizing and divisive films of 2009. I happen to love it, absolutely love it. I believe it perfectly captures the inner turmoil of what it means to be a child, like we all were before when we still tried to make sense of it all with the use of our burgeoning minds and how too often, we ended up mixing reality with fantasy as our imagination runs wild. For me, it's a masterpiece.
It's not perfect, and it's definitely a bit narratively thin, but it's a really interesting, really ballsy treatment of the book, turning what could have effortlessly (and much more marketably) been some juvenile joke-a-minute DreamWorks bullshit into a melancholy art film about the childhood condition. Definitely recommended.
Where the Wild Things Are paints painful truths about loneliness, wonder, loss, reconciliation, the ways we define our selves and others, the creative and destructive capabilities of the human spirit. Filtered through the lens of childhood, it makes each one of its hard-earned observations hit with the pang of an epiphany. It's simultaneously minimalist and bursting with invention, surprisingly perverse, charmingly anarchic and possessed of a scary savagery and wistful melancholy. It's fantastic

40 Collections including 20 Collaborative and 20 Public