Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduNetflixMicrosoft Store
Netflix basic with Ads

2013
Drama, Sci-fi
Astronauts attempt to return to earth after debris crashes into their space shuttle, leaving them drifting alone in space. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduNetflixMicrosoft Store
Netflix basic with Ads

One HELL of an adventure! I was positively enthralled by every electrifying second of it. My immersion in the intense action scenes made my palms start sweating profusely. Lubezki once again proves that he's the cherry on top of the cream of the crop of cinematographers. I blinked rarely and only reluctantly during his long takes. A masterpiece of staging and technical innovation, 'Gravity' is nothing short of sublime. And, luckily, *plot spoiler* Sandra Bullock only imitates a dog in one scene.
It's pretty solid. I don't know. After you've seen Leprechaun 4: In Space you kind of have high expectations.
Space junk: undoubtedly a technological marvel, but nothing else about it is either interesting or good. Dialogue and monologues are poor; more fundamentally, it is about nothing, nothing whatsoever. All attempts at profundity are phoney, beginning with the writers' decision to give her a dead kid in order to try to confect some meaningless Hollywood meaningfulness. That it received near universal critical acclaim exposes the state of contemporary criticism (though Richard Brody got it right).
Let's just get this out of the way: the script is mediocre, the characters are just serviceable, and the movie isn't 100% accurate. Now ignore all of that, because it didn't affect my enjoyment in the slightest. This is a visual and emotional roller coaster ride; the spectacular cinematography justifies the use of CGI and 3D more than Avatar ever could. It's a jaw-dropping, breath-taking, awe-inspiring, applause-worthy masterpiece. And it's one of my favorite movie experiences of all time.
Alfonso Cuaron's space epic is narratively slight, but what it lacks in depth it more than makes up in terms of technical wizardry and spectacle. Cuaron's precise direction and Lubezki's series of long takes make it a space opera that is much like a outer space ballet. Sandra Bullock does surprisingly well carrying the film for 88 minutes and brings some much needed emotional heft to the story. Gravity is also the first film that I would say is essential to be seen in 3D.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 14 May 2013