The Grand Budapest Hotel
The-Grand-Budapest-Hotel

The Grand Budapest Hotel

2014
Comedy, Drama
The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend. (imdb)

Filmgoers should be thankful for the amount of work Anderson is prepared to do to fill each shot and scene with as much pleasure as possible. Here, the theme seems to be that civilisation may be a veneer, but when it crumbles we are likely left with something much worse, and that, once what took centuries to build is gone, to look back at it, even just a few years or decades later, is to look into a lost realm that can serve only to measure the distance we have, in most respects, fallen.
Residing firmly in the upper tier of Anderson's canon, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is littered with both visual gags and delicious tongue-in-cheek dialogue. Planimetric compositions often overloaded past their natural breaking point, great references to both the history of cinema in general and Anderson's own work in particular and a number of delicious sequences (the secret society of concierges, Joppling chasing Kovacs, the shoot-out in the hotel etc.) make this a spectacular spectacle.
Sublime, cinematic excellence, the way Charlie Chaplin, as a director, would make a movie in the 21st century. A pure joy to watch, I will watch this over and over and over again!
This may be Wes Anderson's best piece of work to date! The Grand Budapest Hotel, as mean-spirited as it tries to be, it manages to balance out pure watchability with it's impressive acting, great writing, really good directing, and all of the fake mustaches. Good production (as usual) and a weird, good feel. My favorite part? Probably the music. I personally liked Willem Dafoe's character but they are all good. Worth the watch for sure! Especially if you love film in general.
Utterly, captivatingly charming. Time flew by and I felt sad when it was over. But enough about that youtube baby sloth video; The Grand Budapest Hotel was utterly, captivatingly charming. Time flew by and I felt sad when it was over.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 06 Jan 2014