Blade Runner
Blade-Runner

Blade Runner

1982
Drama, Sci-fi
Harrison Ford stars as former detective Rick Deckard who is on the hunt for "replicants," androids, attempting to pass as humans in technogrunge 2019 Los Angeles.
Franchise: Blade Runner
Amazon VideoGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreYouTubeAMC on Demand

Blade Runner is more than Ridley, Vangelis, P.K. Dick, more than it's crew or material used in the work. From childhood the first time I saw the movie it's effect still dwells in my mind. The scenery is more melancholic than fourties America, or seventies France where hardboiled noir has it's own space. For me no special effect surpassed the beauty of Blade Running. Like a visual track for the lost causes. (ok managed to sound not like a scifi nerd, oh no movie geek is still at large)
If nothing else, this film is a masterpiece of visual style. It just looks fucking cool as hell. All those cool blues and rain-slicked surfaces and neon lights and steam and smoke and gorgeous lighting. But it also has a wonderful score, a compelling neo-noir mood, and a fairly intelligent sci-fi story. And the experience is very engaging, although not without a few bumps. I think Roy Batty is kind of a silly character and he doesn't come across as badass as he did in my younger days.
A frankly bizarre combination of soft science fiction, film noir, arch symbolism and arthouse surrealism somehow given a Hollywood budget with which it thoughtfully and mournfully deliberates about what it means to be human. That this movie even exists in anything resembling its final form is a miracle; that it's a masterpiece is something beyond.
Ridley Scott's epic visual style works masterfully in this grim cyber punk/film noir vision of the future. Harrison Ford turns in what I believe is his best performance. The Final Cut, though not leaps and bounds better than the Director's Cut (because the Director's Cut is still very good), is absolutely masterful. It's a sheer wonder to see Ridley Scott's original vision, plus the new transfer is fantastic. It boggles the mind how anyone thought the Theatrical Cut would've been preferred.
Honestly I wasn't particularly blown away by Blade Runner. I found it to be visually interesting, but otherwise a tad dull. Then again there's some great direction and action scenes backed up by the excellent Ford, so that tends to make up for some of the losses. The premise is very interesting, but some aspects seem a little underdeveloped and the whole perception of the movie sometimes seems a little narrow. It's obviously incredibly inspirational to many subsequent sci-fi though.