Event Horizon
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVfuboTVParamount+ Amazon ChannelMGM Plus Amazon Channel
Paramount Plus
Event-Horizon

Event Horizon

1997
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
The year is 2047. Years earlier, the pioneering research vessel Event Horizon vanished without a trace. Now a signal from it has been detected, and the United States Aerospace Command responds. Hurtling toward the signal's source are a fearless captain (Fishburne), his elite crew and the lost ship's designer (Neill). Their mission: find and salvage the state-of-the-art spacecraft. What they find is state-of-the-art interstellar terror... (Paramount)
Paramount Plus
Showtime Apple TV Channel
Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
Google Play Movies
Vudu
MGM Plus
Microsoft Store
Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel

I've always had a soft spot for this one. Yes, the characters make dumb decisions and it becomes silly action-y towards the end, but gosh darnit if I just don't really appreciate the sets, the gore, the casting, the design of that engine and the glimpses of Hellraisery horror.
A decent cast and some reasonable ideas compensate for a shaky script and a bit of clumsy execution. It's alright, but it never really got under my skin. The bloke who made this was at school with a guy I work with, who to this day can't believe that he's married to Milla Jovovich. Fair play to him.
Easily the best thing Paul W. S. Anderson's ever done which I understand is like saying "the most pleasantly fragranced soiled diaper ever".
The whole time I kept wishing THIS crew was in Prometheus. If you've got some decent actors with charisma and intelligence, you've won half the battle. I had a great time. It was wonderful, campy fun. Yes, the plot is quite ridiculous but I found the premise fascinating. I was intrigued by the idea of the ship coming alive after traveling into another dimension. Got me thinking, "is it possible?", "what could cause such a thing?" and so on. Fantastic.
It's Friday the Apollo 13th: an unstoppable monster onboard a doomed spacecraft. It borrows liberally from highbrow sci-fi (Alien & 2001) and goofy classics (Black Hole & Forbidden Planet). Outside of the decompression scare, you've seen this before. Additionally, the villain motivation is weakly explained. Still, marginal recommendation as it's prototypical 90's fun--best exemplified via the Prodigy "Funky Shit" end credits. And Interstellar outright stole one scene.

Last modified by:icebloxiceblox on 25 Sep 2015