Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVfuboTVHuluGoogle Play Movies
Plex
Plex Player

2012
Comedy, Action
Labeled an outcast by his brainy family, a bouncer overcomes long odds to lead a team of under performing misfits to semi-pro hockey glory, beating the crap out of everything that stands in his way. (imdb)
Franchise: Goon
VUDU Free
Peacock Premium
Plex
Plex Player

*BIFF* *POW* *KABLAM* *BORT* Nice surprise! On the way out of the theater I headbutted the usher and drop kicked the concession stand manager.
Not bad, but not really great either. Even though I'm from Canada, I don't watch a lot of hockey, but it seemed overly violent. It had sort of weird pacing at the starting. The arc of him going from a nobody to a somebody took only 10 minutes, and then the rest of the movie moved rather slow in comparison. Seann William Scott's character was sweet, but really fucking stupid, and not just in a highschool dropout way, in an unrealistic way. The parents seemed really mean for no apparent reason.
I've been praising the subtle greatness of Seann William Scott since watching The Promotion. And he's proven it time and time again. I mean ... The Promotion, ...uh, this...um,... okay just those two. Hockey movies are always about the fighting except when they aren't. Than they are about geese.
Very crass film that's both oddly touching and surprisingly progressive. Scott's character, a physically capable but dim-witted individual, manages to stand up against homosexual bigotry which I believe is a welcome sign of the changing times. Goon is actually very violent and may cause the squeamish to look away but for hockey fans it's got some genuinely laughs. "Hey you want to go?" "Yeah OK." "Good luck, man." "Good luck to you too, budd."
Criminally entertaining. It's like DIGGSTOWN meets SLAP SHOT. Yeah, it's kinda raunchy and meatheaded, but I had more fun with this thing than I've had with any sports movie in ages. An infectiously high-spirited, giddy blast of adrenaline; anybody who's a fan of sports flicks should love it.

17 Collections including 14 Collaborative and 3 Public